Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,910
Default Presidential Seals

I'm asking this Question because I actually dont know the answer. In other countries with the power and majesty that the United States Commands, you tend to find that individual Leaders will have some kind of Monogram which is used to depict them...in ancient times a Seal was some kinda plate which bore a mark onto wax, to proove the document had come from an official source, the seals are usually part of a Ring, so the Ring of the person whose seal it belongs to must have been used as a kinda fullproof signiture. They might also have been a coat of alms

Of course when these things stopped being important, the Monogram became a Standard used to identify rullers particularly after they were deceased. So for example, if you were to find the seal of a particular Monarch on the side of a building, its a fair assumption that you can date the creation of that building to within the reign of that specific Monarch.

Being that The President of The United States is such a high position of Authority, and also given that the position is actually one of relatively short stay in the world of Democrasy, (what I mean is, you have quite short terms of office, and your Presidents are limited to the number of times they can be re-ellected) I was wondering if each President was given his own Standard/Seal?

Like an Insignia, or badge or something? Something that Identifies not only thier office, but the individual occupying that office?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
I'm asking this Question because I actually dont know the answer. In other countries with the power and majesty that the United States Commands, you tend to find that individual Leaders will have some kind of Monogram which is used to depict them...in ancient times a Seal was some kinda plate which bore a mark onto wax, to proove the document had come from an official source, the seals are usually part of a Ring, so the Ring of the person whose seal it belongs to must have been used as a kinda fullproof signiture. They might also have been a coat of alms

Of course when these things stopped being important, the Monogram became a Standard used to identify rullers particularly after they were deceased. So for example, if you were to find the seal of a particular Monarch on the side of a building, its a fair assumption that you can date the creation of that building to within the reign of that specific Monarch.

Being that The President of The United States is such a high position of Authority, and also given that the position is actually one of relatively short stay in the world of Democrasy, (what I mean is, you have quite short terms of office, and your Presidents are limited to the number of times they can be re-ellected) I was wondering if each President was given his own Standard/Seal?

Like an Insignia, or badge or something? Something that Identifies not only thier office, but the individual occupying that office?


The President has a seal but it is for the office. Each individual president does not have a different seal.

There was a controversy during the past presidential election when candidate Obama had a seal for his campaign. It was displayed on his podium. The seal was mocked as a show of hubris and was soon abandoned.


__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man


The President has a seal but it is for the office. Each individual president does not have a different seal.

There was a controversy during the past presidential election when candidate Obama had a seal for his campaign. It was displayed on his podium. The seal was mocked as a show of hubris and was soon abandoned.


Wow...thats sad...I think that Each individual should be able to personalize the Seal in some way to reflect themselves. They are more then an office. Everywhere else with the status level of America does it, so it wouldnt go down as looking pompous or egotistical, infact...its strange they dont have their own seal...I assumed they did but were like rarely used, because I've never seen them you see...a bit like how each of the States has its individual Standard...Each State has its own Flag, and Emblem...not that many Europeans probably know that
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,910
Default

now...whose going to explain what all the parts of the Seal actually mean
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
now...whose going to explain what all the parts of the Seal actually mean
The bald eagle is our national symbol. The eagle clutches 13 arrows in his left talon (13 original states) and in the right talon is an olive branch. The olive branch symbolizes peace and the arrows symbolize the willingness to fight a war if necessary ("Si vis pacem, para bellum"). The eagle looks toward the right, meaning we prefer peace to war. In the eagle's beak is a banner with our national motto: "E pluribus unum" meaning "out of many, one". The shield on the eagle's chest has 13 stripes (13 original states again) and there are 13 stars and 13 clouds above the eagle's head (notice a pattern?). Fifty stars ring the periphery of the seal, symbolizing the current 50 states (perhaps Obama will increase this to 57).

The Presidential Seal is heavily influenced by the Great Seal of the US. Here is an official explanation of the Great Seal symbolism provided by the Congress in June 1782:

Quote:
The Escutcheon is composed of the chief & pale, the two most honorable ordinaries. The Pieces, paly, represent the several states all joined in one solid compact entire, supporting a Chief, which unites the whole & represents Congress. The Motto alludes to this union. The pales in the arms are kept closely united by the chief and the Chief depends upon that union & the strength resulting from it for its support, to denote the Confederacy of the United States of America & the preservation of their union through Congress.

The colours of the pales are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valor, and Blue, the colour of the Chief signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice. The Olive branch and arrows denote the power of peace & war which is exclusively vested in Congress. The Constellation denotes a new State taking its place and rank among other sovereign powers. The Escutcheon is born on the breast of an American Eagle without any other supporters to denote that the United States of America ought to rely on their own Virtue.
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
The bald eagle is our national symbol. The eagle clutches 13 arrows in his left talon (13 original states) and in the right talon is an olive branch. The olive branch symbolizes peace and the arrows symbolize the willingness to fight a war if necessary ("Si vis pacem, para bellum"). The eagle looks toward the right, meaning we prefer peace to war. In the eagle's beak is a banner with our national motto: "E pluribus unum" meaning "out of many, one". The shield on the eagle's chest has 13 stripes (13 original states again) and there are 13 stars and 13 clouds above the eagle's head (notice a pattern?). Fifty stars ring the periphery of the seal, symbolizing the current 50 states (perhaps Obama will increase this to 57).

The Presidential Seal is heavily influenced by the Great Seal of the US. Here is an official explanation of the Great Seal symbolism provided by the Congress in June 1782:



Thats truely Magnificent

One questions...who does "amoung other soverign powers" allude to?

and what do the three stars on the War side of the Eagles head represent...the beak faces towards the symbol of peace, in the same position on the other side, lie a vertical line of Three Stars....are those particular Events of War? or are they particular States?

Sorry for the questions...but I'm kinda a symbologist by trade if you like...I love this sort of things...

also...why "clouds" I means...whats the significance of that? I get the number, and that the Stars represent the States...and Stars or Dots to represent something like that is understandable...but whats with the clouds above? Why Clouds?

Finally...what is the significance of 19 in the Monogram? its unclear from that size picture, but the stars and clouds are arranged on a backing of lines with dots runing vertical...gathered into groups of four...and two....or depending on whats important I suppose 19 columns of something...or is it the number of lines that is important?? or the numbers of dots? or is it all symbolic? I mean you could read it from the groupings, or the orders of the groupings read from either direction because they are the same...or the number of columns, or numbers of dots between the coloumns...or numbers of dots and columns.
__________________

Last edited by Tyburn; 07-03-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Thats truely Magnificent

One questions...who does "amoung other soverign powers" allude to?

and what do the three stars on the War side of the Eagles head represent...the beak faces towards the symbol of peace, in the same position on the other side, lie a vertical line of Three Stars....are those particular Events of War? or are they particular States?

Sorry for the questions...but I'm kinda a symbologist by trade if you like...I love this sort of things...

also...why "clouds" I means...whats the significance of that? I get the number, and that the Stars represent the States...and Stars or Dots to represent something like that is understandable...but whats with the clouds above? Why Clouds?

Finally...what is the significance of 19 in the Monogram? its unclear from that size picture, but the stars and clouds are arranged on a backing of lines with dots runing vertical...gathered into groups of four...and two....or depending on whats important I suppose 19 columns of something...or is it the number of lines that is important?? or the numbers of dots? or is it all symbolic? I mean you could read it from the groupings, or the orders of the groupings read from either direction because they are the same...or the number of columns, or numbers of dots between the coloumns...or numbers of dots and columns.
You do have Google right???
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2009, 10:15 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
You do have Google right???
They don't get Google in Europe....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
You do have Google right???
you do reply to PMs right
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
you do reply to PMs right
OUCH.... ok you win!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.