Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-03-2009, 10:55 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner
I understand why other orgs can't compete with the UFC, and as I said earlier, it would take the UFC losing big names for that to happen.

As for my point, boxing consists of many sanctioning Orgs that co-promote fights. It doesnt matter how big a fighter is, without them, they won't get beyond their plastic title in Mexico City. This has been the fuel for the scandals within the sport for years actually because it has been said many times that if you want a shot at the belt, you're going to need more money then knock out power. Anyway, Dana has before touched on the curruption that has plagued boxing (WBA in particular) which I can assume is why he/UFC work so hard to make sure most orgs don't last. I understand and actually agree with him on this, but what I don't agree with is the way the UFC very publicly conduct their business.

I have been involved in boxing for 15+ years and I do not want to see MMA become currupted as boxing has. The irony, to me, is Dana says the same thing yet very publicly lashes and attempts to restrict the flow of capital in the UFC to sponsors as well as to fighters. How can a person claim to be a champion against curruption and yet seem to be the very epicenter of all money disputes and wrong doing. What bothers me worse is the UFC doesnt seem to give two s*^&s about what people think, and or how they are perceived. Its all about the money, which goes against everything Dana has claimed up until now.
We agree, maybe more than you think.

I know how it works in boxing, and yes, you do have to pay a fee to those sanctioning bodies, but the point is that the Boxers are not ultimately controlled by the sanctioning bodies. There are so many titles in boxing, average fans could really care less. They just want to see the best fights. So, in that sense, the fighters control their own destinies. If Pac-Man and PBF booked a fight right now, everybody would tune in, regardless of who has what title belt from where. It used to matter a lot more, but Boxing has changed a lot.

The UFC's problem is trying to make themselves into a mainstream sports organization, but also being to private at the same time. The public end of their business is what has drawn all this controversy, but it's the private part of their business that would uncover the real corruption. That's why the UFC will remain private as long as it can. Unfortunately, MMA has already been corrupted in more ways than one. If boxing has taught us anything, it's how this whole thing is ultimately going to play out.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
2.5 percent would be much more reasonable IMO
that way, a buy getting 5 grand wouldn't lose a sponsor because they didn't have 100K to pay just to sponsor him for 5K a fight
Yeah I agree. But Reasonable and Dana White are not words used in the same breathe to often.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Chris F

What it boils down to is every professional sport has some sort of fees for sponsorship. But as one mentioned earlier this is what caused players unions in many of them and I doubt Dana wants that.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Liddellfan

While your compairing to NASCAR, another similarity between them and the UFC is sponsors. NASCAR also tells their drivers and teams who can and can't sponsor a car. A few sponsors that NASCAR has banned (since Sprint took over) are Cingular Wireless, At&T, Motorola.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan
While your compairing to NASCAR, another similarity between them and the UFC is sponsors. NASCAR also tells their drivers and teams who can and can't sponsor a car. A few sponsors that NASCAR has banned (since Sprint took over) are Cingular Wireless, At&T, Motorola.
Exactly. And for many years Hard Liquor like Jack Daniles and Jim Beam were also banned. That has recently been lifted.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:24 PM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
We agree, maybe more than you think.

I know how it works in boxing, and yes, you do have to pay a fee to those sanctioning bodies, but the point is that the Boxers are not ultimately controlled by the sanctioning bodies. There are so many titles in boxing, average fans could really care less. They just want to see the best fights. So, in that sense, the fighters control their own destinies. If Pac-Man and PBF booked a fight right now, everybody would tune in, regardless of who has what title belt from where. It used to matter a lot more, but Boxing has changed a lot.

The UFC's problem is trying to make themselves into a mainstream sports organization, but also being to private at the same time. The public end of their business is what has drawn all this controversy, but it's the private part of their business that would uncover the real corruption. That's why the UFC will remain private as long as it can. Unfortunately, MMA has already been corrupted in more ways than one. If boxing has taught us anything, it's how this whole thing is ultimately going to play out.

You are right, and yes, I think we agree across the board on this. The multitude of titles and the constant haggling I think in a lot of ways has drained the life from the sport of boxing. Its still boxing though, which I guess despite having had people uncover curruption scandals that would make even Dana blush, people still love it, as do I.

The UFCs dilemma is just perplexing to me. Its obvious they want to hold the MMA market like say the NFL/NBA does with their sports, but the variables are just so much more extreme then either the NFL or the NBA. It seems to me the UFC is trying desperately to keep the growth of MMA isolated and channelled through them, but those damn loose strings. Fedor, Randys constant bucking, GSP maintaining his loyalty to Affliction (Which can be perceived as a threat) despite Danas threats to drop them, and a host of other issues. The Iron Hand/Joseph Stalin approach is bound to back-fire, which I think we're starting to see the stress cracks now. Its just to exhausting for fighters and their families to have to deal with.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I can see where the things the UFC is doing makes good business sense for them, but to me, it just looks like greed. How is this good for the sport and most importantly the fighters'? If one organization has ALL the control (like a monopoly) and ALL the power, how can the fighters protect themselves and their interests?

This just doesn't seem right!
I think the United States Government of 1770s would use the following phrase to describe evil of this nature

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security"

Replace the word Government for Insitution. and Them to Fighters...and you see how this should really be applied to the running of every inisutution. One day it will happen...they will mutiny and the UFC will suffer for its greed. Perhaps it is the Divine counterballence to a monopoly that eventually people reject it because by its nature the freedoms given to it in order to protect and provide...remain only to protect and provide FOR ITSELF.