Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I think basic gun safety should be taught in School with actual firearms! Then in order to deny any American their right to own a firearm you must show just cause for taking that right away! I also think that every County in America should have a public Shooting range open free of charge!
Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Crisco

I live in nj so I know all about the pains of trying to own a firearm.

I don't believe in what you had to do. What I ment was you go to the store purchase and register your firearm and in 1-3 days you are allowed to pick it up.

Simple and easy.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:38 PM
surveyorshawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE
I think basic gun safety should be taught in School with actual firearms! Then in order to deny any American their right to own a firearm you must show just cause for taking that right away! I also think that every County in America should have a public Shooting range open free of charge!
When I was in Junior High (Middle School now) the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks came and taught Hunter's Education & firearm safety every year to eighter 7th or 8th graders (I can't remember which).
Old 07-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Chris Wescott

Default Control?

So they want to take away our right to defend ourselves as upstanding law abiding citizens. Meanwhile criminals and these low life scums buy fire arms on the black market and suddenly the bad guys are armed and the good guys are not.

I think that is upside down logic. Guys we can not sit back and let this type of thing happen.

How bout the good guys being required to own and train with fire arms, more law enforcement to shut down the black market, and low life types not allowed to purchase, own or handle fire arms.

Doesn't make better sense?
-Chris (who proudly goes to the rifle range to train weekly)
Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Chris Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE
Absolutely.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:28 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5134813.shtml

Quote:
Janice Foster spent the holiday weekend locked and loaded. Weapons lay within easy reach throughout her house.

No one in Gaffney, South Carolina is taking chances. A serial killer's on the loose.

"It's definitely very very scary," Foster told CBS News correspondent Mark Strassmann.

"It's in the back of your mind," said Alan Foster. "No matter where you go, people are talking about it."

Talking about being "terrified."

In one week, five murders here.

Last Saturday, Kline Cash, a peach farmer, was shot in his home.

Last Wednesday, 83-year-old Hazel Linger and her daughter were gunned down together at home - and remembered together at today's joint funeral service.

On Thursday, Stephen Tyler and his 15-year-old daughter Abby were killed as they closed the family appliance store, less than a half mile from the sheriff's office.

Investigators say all the victims were bound and shot. A sketch provides their best glimpse of someone most people here expect to kill again.

"We have many leads coming in, still coming in," said Gaffney Police Chief Richard Turner. "We do want those to continue; anyone that feels they have any information, how slight it might be, please make those calls, get in touch with the task force."

It's hard to believe for a town of only 13,000 people but 40 years ago, another serial killer - nicknamed the "Gaffney Strangler" - abducted and killed four people.

Once again, the community psyche is shattered. Unless you're expected, people in Gaffney say don't drop by.

Says Alan Foster: "Every time somebody opens a door they're carrying a gun."

This county had six homicides last year; now it's had five in one week.
I think this is another situation that illustrates that substantial waiting periods are a bad idea. Perform an instant criminal background check, yes; but waiting periods, no. Within one week, a once peaceful small town is now in fear of a serial killer. People who felt safe last week are now in fear for their lives. Does it make sense in this situation to tell people that are trying to arm themselves against a serial killer on the loose that they can't buy a gun today, they must come back in 3 days or 14 days?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago...2.1063832.html

Since April 1982 it has been illegal to purchase or register any handgun within the city of Chicago. How is that working for you, Chicago?
has gun regulation really been around that long???

I thought people were blaming Obama for wanting to steal their guns....Obama would have been a teenager back then surely
Old 07-05-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
has gun regulation really been around that long???

I thought people were blaming Obama for wanting to steal their guns....Obama would have been a teenager back then surely
Most of the large cities are run by Democrats (big "d") and have some form of gun control. Not coincidentally, these areas are crime-ridden. The rural and suburban areas for the most part don't have gun control. Obama wants to advance a gun control agenda from sea to shining sea.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
Most of the large cities are run by Democrats (big "d") and have some form of gun control. Not coincidentally, these areas are crime-ridden. The rural and suburban areas for the most part don't have gun control. Obama wants to advance a gun control agenda from sea to shining sea.
the only possible way to ever phase out handguns is to verrrra slowly stop the selling of ammunition.

You cant just ban them, that will cause revolt, and the guns just go underground.

It would take...I reckon about ten years to properly dissarm America...you do nothing with gun restrictions at all...you simply clamp down on ammunition.

If you cant take their guns...just stop supplying them with bullets...its like a seige...eventually their guns will become pointless.

mindue...i'm not against guns for hunting...take away the power to hunt...and sooner or later your going to be overun with everything from mountain lions to turkies

Dont worry...Obama will never get away with it...he only has four years in office...for a President to properly dissarm America he'd need to do it quietly over a decade....no President can reign that long....its full proof...bit like Kevlar
Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
the only possible way to ever phase out handguns is to verrrra slowly stop the selling of ammunition.

You cant just ban them, that will cause revolt, and the guns just go underground.

It would take...I reckon about ten years to properly dissarm America...you do nothing with gun restrictions at all...you simply clamp down on ammunition.

If you cant take their guns...just stop supplying them with bullets...its like a seige...eventually their guns will become pointless.

mindue...i'm not against guns for hunting...take away the power to hunt...and sooner or later your going to be overun with everything from mountain lions to turkies

Dont worry...Obama will never get away with it...he only has four years in office...for a President to properly dissarm America he'd need to do it quietly over a decade....no President can reign that long....its full proof...bit like Kevlar
Americans are already stockpiling ammunition because of Obama. The past few times that I have gone to the sporting goods store they have been out of .22LR ammunition and they have buying limits on all the ammunition.

There is a brisk business in reloading supplies as well.

They wouldn't have to ban ammunition. They would just have to tax it so high that it became prohibitively expensive to fire a gun.

You mentioned that you were going to read the Constitution. If gun control critics were intellectually honest people they would try to repeal the second amendment.