Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 06-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Bas Rutten: "I told Kimbo he was an ***hole."

Always seemed like a nice guy, but I'd imagine Bas isn't full of crap about what went down.

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.u...le.php?id=2626

Quote:
Bas Rutten has lifted the lid on the arguments that led to him withdrawing his services as Kimbo Slice's MMA coach.

Rutten, a former UFC and Pancrase champion, coached Slice while the former streetfighter was fighting for EliteXC. But the relationship turned sour by the time Slice faced Seth Petruzelli.

"I misjudged him, he turned into a whole different person. I told him a few weeks ago, I had a sit down with him. I told him that he was an asshole and that I have zero respect (for him] and I cant train people that I have no respect for. Can't ever," Rutten told Fighters Only in a recent interview.

"He just turned into a different guy, he didn't need to do the things that I told him to do. He wasn't going to go to the ground, you know? The day before the [Petruzelli] fight, I told him I wanted to go over heel hooks and escapes, and he said "Nah, its not going to go to the ground".

I said 'Ha, I like that attitude - but what if it does go to the ground?' but he said 'Its not going to go'. So I said OK, but don't let me tell you 'I told you so' if he snaps your ****in' leg in half. He said 'I don't know if that's a good thing for you to be telling me mentally, before a fight'! I said 'I don't think its a good thing for you not to be doing what I tell you, before the fight"!

As for Slice's continued career in MMA, Rutten maintains he has no interest. He does believe Slice has some potential, but evidently feels his learning ethic leaves something to be desired.

"He learned some things but he started to forget them. In the Thompson fight he did some great escapes in round number one but once fatigue hit him, he didn't do anything," the Dutch legend explained.

"And what I didn't like about the Thompson fight as well was he said afterwards 'Yeah, we planned on fighting three rounds' and I told him 'Don't say that, you were lucky the referee didn't stop the fight in the second round'. Don't say we planned to fight three rounds, it wasn't a plan."

Rutten says the situation became untenable; he is not used to students who do not want to do what he tells them.

"If they don't do what I say, they are out. I am there for the best interests of the fighters, I want them to win," he stated. "If they don't accept that, bye bye."

Slice is currently filming series ten of The Ultimate Fighter, where he is a heavyweight contestant. His inclusion in the TUF10 intake surprised many, especially given UFC president Dana White's less-than-kind remarks about him while he was with EliteXC.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:15 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Bas calling Kimbo an a**hole is just pure entertainment.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Always seemed like a nice guy, but I'd imagine Bas isn't full of crap about what went down.

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.u...le.php?id=2626
OK, good. I've been really torn because I don't like Kimbo, but I respect Bas so mcuh & assumed that if Bas was willing to work with him, I must be mistaken. Clearly not!!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:17 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
OK, good. I've been really torn because I don't like Kimbo, but I respect Bas so mcuh & assumed that if Bas was willing to work with him, I must be mistaken. Clearly not!!
I can understand why Bas would be mad, but this hardly makes Kimbo bad guy.

It may make him STUPID, but not a bad guy.

That being said, I don't like Kimbo either.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I never had a problem with Kimbo, it was the Shaws and EliteXC that kinda f'ed up his career. The way they promoted him as a super human was their ultimate downfall. Let's see, American karate fighting champion vs. thug street fighter; as if that was hard to predict a winner.

I'm happy to see Kimbo in TUF, I'd like to see him do well. The only thing is, with Big Country in there, IMO, nobody else stands a chance.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
I can understand why Bas would be mad, but this hardly makes Kimbo bad guy.

It may make him STUPID, but not a bad guy.

That being said, I don't like Kimbo either.
O, I'm not basing my dislike of Kimbo on this one incident, I've disliked him for awhile. The only monkey in the works was Bas talking about how much he enjoyed working with him, which threw me for a loop. Now that Bas has shucked him & that wrinkle is gone, I have no problem disliking him unashamedly!!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:25 PM
lc87

he was right about it not going to the ground it was fixed for it to stay standing.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc87
he was right about it not going to the ground it was fixed for it to stay standing.
No, it went to the ground, Kimbo's face first!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:31 PM
lc87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
No, it went to the ground, Kimbo's face first!
Too sha. I wonder if they paid him for breaking the rules.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:38 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
O, I'm not basing my dislike of Kimbo on this one incident, I've disliked him for awhile. The only monkey in the works was Bas talking about how much he enjoyed working with him, which threw me for a loop. Now that Bas has shucked him & that wrinkle is gone, I have no problem disliking him unashamedly!!
Oh, I know.

I was just saying in general. I don't care much for Kimbo either, but I will still watch him fight.

I guess what I meant is that it seems like Bas was more offended than anything, and Kimbo was not really doing anything that I would say is "wrong", just stupid.

Does that make him an a**hole? I don't know, I guess that is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Or in this case the eye of the Bas!