Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 06-29-2009, 04:23 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR

This is one of the most ridiculous and uneducated statements on this forum. Seriously Dave you can't really be this stupid.
I was waiting for this .... read his statement and thought, when is Nate gonna reply ... LOL ... I assume the US was also responsible for the earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados and hurricanes that leave millions hungry and homeless each year ...
Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
I was waiting for this .... read his statement and thought, when is Nate gonna reply ... LOL ... I assume the US was also responsible for the earthquakes, tsunamis, tornados and hurricanes that leave millions hungry and homeless each year ...
I dont hold the US responsible for that
Old 06-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Crisco

America has a good balance. It is a give and take.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Good thing is that so far we still got the right to say our Government Folks are wrong! We even got the right to call them idiots if we so choose. In some places we still have the right to own a firearm. We still have the right to carry pocket knives! Our Constitution when followed is still a pretty good Document to follow!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Will some of you do me a favour...

Would you list some positive things about your Government?
Would you list some things that you should be thankful for?

Rather then telling me how bad you have it under your government...which is the jist of almost every politic thread about American politics sinse the Wallstreet Wobble...perhaps you'd like to remind me how Great America is...what is Good about the place...how it stands out from the rest...how its people have more freedom then anywhere else.

Tell me some positives

Understand...I dont want to hear about how you think your Government is oppressing you or stealing your freedoms...when compared to mine, or other places...your Government isnt really doing anything at all.
http://www.american.com/archive/2008...tion-of-givers

I think a book by Arthur Brooks entitled Who Really Cares at least partially answers your question about what is good about America. I read the book but I think it is packed up in a box right now so I can't reference it at the moment. In brief, America is an incredibly generous country. Below is a quote from Brooks from an internet article that offers some proof:

Quote:
Q. Are Americans more or less charitable than citizens of other countries?
A. No developed country approaches American giving. For example, in 1995 (the most recent year for which data are available), Americans gave, per capita, three and a half times as much to causes and charities as the French, seven times as much as the Germans, and 14 times as much as the Italians. Similarly, in 1998, Americans were 15 percent more likely to volunteer their time than the Dutch, 21 percent more likely than the Swiss, and 32 percent more likely than the Germans. These differences are not attributable to demographic characteristics such as education, income, age, sex, or marital status. On the contrary, if we look at two people who are identical in all these ways except that one is European and the other American, the probability is still far lower that the European will volunteer than the American.
Brooks goes on to show that American conservatives are much more generous than American liberals. Their generosity not only encompasses giving to religious charities but secular ones as well. In addition, their generosity is expressed not just in monetary gifts; conservatives are much more likely to volunteer their time than liberals (to both religious and secular activities). The findings appear to be robust - conservatives are even more likely to donate blood than liberals. Brooks found that the conservative/liberal difference was explained by religion. Liberal religious believers were as generous as conservatives but there were few liberal religious believers as compared to conservative religious believers so the conservative statistics were much more impressive.

Americans work more hours per week than most Europeans and take less vacation time. In addition, America's productivity per hour worked is quite high compared to other countries. We are wealthy, yes, but we work hard for it. Could we be more generous and more hard-working? YES; however, I don't think Europeans should be lecturing us. I think this is a case where Europeans should worry about the beam in their own eye rather than the mote in America's eye.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
http://www.american.com/archive/2008...tion-of-givers

I think a book by Arthur Brooks entitled Who Really Cares at least partially answers your question about what is good about America. I read the book but I think it is packed up in a box right now so I can't reference it at the moment. In brief, America is an incredibly generous country. Below is a quote from Brooks from an internet article that offers some proof:

Brooks goes on to show that American conservatives are much more generous than American liberals. Their generosity not only encompasses giving to religious charities but secular ones as well. In addition, their generosity is expressed not just in monetary gifts; conservatives are much more likely to volunteer their time than liberals (to both religious and secular activities). The findings appear to be robust - conservatives are even more likely to donate blood than liberals. Brooks found that the conservative/liberal difference was explained by religion. Liberal religious believers were as generous as conservatives but there were few liberal religious believers as compared to conservative religious believers so the conservative statistics were much more impressive.

Americans work more hours per week than most Europeans and take less vacation time. In addition, America's productivity per hour worked is quite high compared to other countries. We are wealthy, yes, but we work hard for it. Could we be more generous and more hard-working? YES; however, I don't think Europeans should be lecturing us. I think this is a case where Europeans should worry about the beam in their own eye rather than the mote in America's eye.
That extends to Hospitality aswell. there is no place on Earth that is more...I dont know what the word is...Chivilrous I guess, then visiting America. The People are so nice...even in the Cities compared to people in Europe.

For example, you can actually talk and smile and say good morning to people you dont know in America. That doesnt happen in this country very often at all.

I actually spoke to an Rich Franklin about this somewhat, he brought it up, when I asked him how his trip to Germany went. As a UFC fighter they really do seem to send him a lot of places abroad, Ireland, Continental Europe, his name keeps coming up on these cards. I just asked him if he had enjoyed himself in Koln.. He said that he got a suprisingly warm welcome considering he was American...I thought that was an odd thing to say...he seemed to indicate that Americans dont always get such a welcome...which I think is really sad...Unfortunately, Americans can never seem to get the same hospitality offered to them outside of their Country...it must mean that sometimes traveling to another country must be a little bit of a let-down I suppose.

I always love traveling to the United States, I've only been once, but I knew I would love it...I loved it the moment I got onto the plane They say that if you walk around America and have an English Accent, you get treated like Royalty...and from my experience thats absolutely True

I remember this woman in this burger bar thing, asked me Twice if I wanted salad on my burger just so she could hear me pronounce Toe-Mar-Toe again. She told me they call it Tom-a-toe
Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I remember this woman in this burger bar thing, asked me Twice if I wanted salad on my burger just so she could hear me pronounce Toe-Mar-Toe again. She told me they call it Tom-a-toe
If I was the burger bar man I would have asked you to say, in your best Oliver Twist imitation, "Please, sir . . . can I have some more?"
Old 06-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
If I was the burger bar man I would have asked you to say, in your best Oliver Twist imitation, "Please, sir . . . can I have some more?"
"MORE?!? You want MORE???"

I really feel I should appologise for screwing up this thread and potentially needlessly upsetting a lot of people. I do Appologise...I had a dreadful week...and I have SOOO taken it out on some of my friends

do you all forgive me
Old 06-30-2009, 04:10 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Try to understand something...I am organizing a car boot sale so that I dont go into my overdraft again this next year. I am selling some of my belongings to make sure I have money for everything I need.

When you are selling your belongings to pay for your needs, then you can start complaining.
And you are taking a trip overseas while selling off belongings to pay for your needs?

What is wrong with you?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
And you are taking a trip overseas while selling off belongings to pay for your needs?

What is wrong with you?
The Money for the Trip is NOT MINE, I dont know how many bloody times I need to say this to you. Over and over again.

I have NEVER been to America on MY OWN MONEY...and the money given to me is for that use, and that use ONLY.

Just because you made an offer you thought was well beyond my means of ever accepting, and then backed out when the funds appeared...doesnt mean the funds I used belonged to me. We are talking about Inheritance Money from a LIVING RELATIVE who has instructed me what I CAN and CANT spend the money on...or else I cant have it.

Incidently, I suppose I should tell you that I also have 10Thousand Stirling. But once again, that is Money that doesnt belong to me, and its in reserve in case I ever get married, or for a deposit on a permanent House. Its tied up in bonds belonging to other relatives right now.

You've been told where the money for the States Tour has come from on SEVERAL occasions in the past, again and again for the last two years, so stop making me out to look like a financial dumbass when you KNOW what the situation with that area is. Its being paid FOR ME. Ergo...NOT MY MONEY