Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
nah, i think you have it wrong ... many people think that gsp won that first fight ... but it was close .... people also think that bj would rather be fighting at WW than LW .... so although gsp imo has more to lose, deep down, bj does have lots to lose ... i am sure he cares more about his legacy than his belt ... remember his quote "i just want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask?" ... or something like that .. so can he really be known as better than gsp if he has lost to him twice? maybe, but it will be tough ... i think bj is also a natural more in between 155 and 170 ... so fighting at 170 is not as much of a stretch for him as people make it out to be ... if coleman can make 205, well making 155 for bj should be easy ...

i think gsp wins this and they will fight again in a year or two after bj dispatches the lw's the rest of the year
Legacy? Only recently has Penn invested in any legacy at all. He lost that match because he quit and gassed think he'd done enough in the first round to win. Penn SHOULD have won the first fight, he let himself down on that one to be honnest.

But I dont think GSP is really on Penns mind...I dont think this is about fighting GSP again so much as it is being the first UFC fighter to do something new. He's out to add a jewel to his crown...NOT that of a win over GSP...that of two belts at once. I think you find that will motivate Penn more then a grudge match...because he already thinks the judges should have awarded him the fight last time...in his head, he's never lost to GSP...not really.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:50 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Legacy? Only recently has Penn invested in any legacy at all. He lost that match because he quit and gassed think he'd done enough in the first round to win. Penn SHOULD have won the first fight, he let himself down on that one to be honnest.

But I dont think GSP is really on Penns mind...I dont think this is about fighting GSP again so much as it is being the first UFC fighter to do something new. He's out to add a jewel to his crown...NOT that of a win over GSP...that of two belts at once. I think you find that will motivate Penn more then a grudge match...because he already thinks the judges should have awarded him the fight last time...in his head, he's never lost to GSP...not really.
tell his nuthuggers that he doesn't have a legacy ... people are calling him the greatest fighter of all time already ... all i am saying is, you can't call yourself the best of all-time until you have cleaned out everyone in your reach ... the only real person who has done that imo is Fedor ... has his competition been the stiffest? no, but who he has fought, he has beat them ... gsp has lost twice but he has avenged those losses .. imo bj has a legacy for fighting everyone won, which is noble, but when you barely have a 500 record out of your weight class, that is nothing to build a legacy on .. come the 31st .. does he have a chance? sure, everyone has a chance, but from what i have seen, gsp has been the one to improve more and will be triumphant ... if he isn't, well until someone beats BJ, he will be the best fighter in the world bar none ..
Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 PM
medic92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
I think I need to remind some people how that fight went

ROUND 1

there was some of this

and some of this

ROUND 2

little bit of this

but a crap load of this

and this

ROUND 3

tons and tons of this

AFTER THE FIGHT

GSP rides off in one of these

and BJ goes off and enjoys one of these

Great pictorial Max. Now where's the picture that really counts, where it shows GSP with another entry in the WIN column and Penn with another entry in the LOSS column?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Preach

GSP did nothing in the fight against BJ and won because he laid on BJ for 2 rounds. It has nothing to do with whose hand got raised in the first fight BJ knows who won and so does GSP and all his nuthuggers. I not only think BJ will win this time but I also think he will dominate GSP
Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preach
GSP did nothing in the fight against BJ and won because he laid on BJ for 2 rounds. It has nothing to do with whose hand got raised in the first fight BJ knows who won and so does GSP and all his nuthuggers. I not only think BJ will win this time but I also think he will dominate GSP
and that is why we have a sig bet for this ...
Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Stump Rules!

Well if he won doing nothing just think what he'll do on the 31st!

WAR GSP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preach

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 01-22-2009, 03:11 PM
rearnakedchoke

in the end, we won't know for sure who will win until the fight is over .. i am not going to budge what max and preach think and they aren't going to sway what i think ... so someone is going to be wrong, someone is going to be right (unless it is a draw or NC then we will all be pissed) ... but what this thread started as is BJ cutting short taping and in this series, he says he has been portrayed as this and that, and in the end he as said "i want to kill him", bascially called gsp a bitch and is always talking about what bj does "he can go to his nite club's" etc .. BJ, i thought talk was cheap .. there is only one person to blame for you coming off as an ass and that is BJ Penn ...
Old 01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92
Great pictorial Max. Now where's the picture that really counts, where it shows GSP with another entry in the WIN column and Penn with another entry in the LOSS column?
let's see if we bring this example over to the superbowl and see if the scenario still works ...

Team A - plays horrible, has key members injured, but capitilzes on mistakes Team B makes (goal line turnovers, 3rd or 4th down flags on D etc)

Team B - plays awesome, moves the ball well running, passing, everyone stays healthy but has missed field goals, etc.

Team B looks bad and is injured as hell, but wins the superbowl ... Team A complains, we played the better game, had a few small mistakes .. we were better on all levels in that game, we deserve the win ...

which team would you rather be on ..
Old 01-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
tell his nuthuggers that he doesn't have a legacy ... people are calling him the greatest fighter of all time already ... all i am saying is, you can't call yourself the best of all-time until you have cleaned out everyone in your reach ... the only real person who has done that imo is Fedor ... has his competition been the stiffest? no, but who he has fought, he has beat them ... gsp has lost twice but he has avenged those losses .. imo bj has a legacy for fighting everyone won, which is noble, but when you barely have a 500 record out of your weight class, that is nothing to build a legacy on .. come the 31st .. does he have a chance? sure, everyone has a chance, but from what i have seen, gsp has been the one to improve more and will be triumphant ... if he isn't, well until someone beats BJ, he will be the best fighter in the world bar none ..
I've talked about Penn and his lack of legacy more times then I care to remember. See...to have a legacy you gotta sit still in one place and work. He tried in the LW division and got smushed by Jens Pulver, ooops first loss, and first Title attempt...then he tried against Uno, ooops second title attempt...then after not winning either he was given a shot at MH for no good reason AT ALL...with less then a few months of holding the title, he was given the boot for breaking his contract. It was then a good while before he returned, and when he did he had another crack and failed. He had at this time challenged for FOUR Titles and only won once, and never defended. These titles not even all being in the same division.

Sherk was a victim of outrageous politics which gave Penn the opportunity he needed, on his FIFTH Title Contention, and THIRD for the LWC he finally won and then started his legacy.

I expect him to win the Welterweight contest...making a total of Three wins out of six title contentions, and two of those in a class which isnt his primary division...then I expect him to fail to hold them both and once and lose them both in swift succession. By UFC105 I dont think people will be talking about Penn the way they have in the past...his nutthuggers are already diminished...strange considering he's just founded a true legacy now.

Hopefully the UFC will learn from the mistake and stop others following Penns route...in the meantime the illusion that GSP is the next BJ Penn will be shattered at best...and FINALY we can move on
Old 01-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Max

Quote:
let's see if we bring this example over to the superbowl and see if the scenario still works ...

Team A - plays horrible, has key members injured, but capitilzes on mistakes Team B makes (goal line turnovers, 3rd or 4th down flags on D etc)

Team B - plays awesome, moves the ball well running, passing, everyone stays healthy but has missed field goals, etc.

Team B looks bad and is injured as hell, but wins the superbowl ... Team A complains, we played the better game, had a few small mistakes .. we were better on all levels in that game, we deserve the win ...

which team would you rather be on ..
not really a good example. A better example would be

Team A is killing Team B and is up by 21 at half time. Then just as Team A's first and second string players are getting ready to come out for the second half the hallway caves in and they are stuck in the locker room. Team A is forced to play the rest of the game with their 3rd string. Team B ends up making a comeback and beats Team A on a last second field goal. Team B's players jump up and down like little girls and all Team B's fan talk about how Team B is so great.

Now not long after that game Team B plays a group of 6 year old girls in football (Serra) and gets killed. Team B's fans still act like their team walks on water.

That would be a better example of how that fight, the the Serra fight, went.