Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Dave, don't be ridiculous. Brock Lesnar has already proven that he earned his title. Maybe not earning a shot, but he earned the title by beating the champ, not to mention, that guy was Randy Couture, a legend. The UFC is a business and that was good business by Dana to bring him in and prematurely give him a title shot, especially because Brock Lesnar was the most watched person on PPV last year with 2.2 million buys in 3 fights, and the 2nd-most watched MMA fighter ever in a 1-year span.
Firstly...people watching Lesnar has nothing to do with whether or not he can fight, it has ALOT to do with his past work in Sports-Entertainment..something that dispite the crass photo-shoots for the new UFC magazine, we REALLY want to avoid

Secondly...about Randy Couture....Legend he might be...but actually go look at his record. The guy is beatable. We arent talking Legendary like Matt Hughes unbeaten at Title Level for goodness knows how long.

Thirdly...how long was it between fights for Couture...and dont want to be mean...but legend or not...age is a factor for him

Once again the UFC push someone to the top...meanwhile what happens to Nog exactly...you remember him?? it should have been HIM V Couture.

....not that I'm bitter or anything...but this is another case just like Mike Swick
Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
No, its about prooving yourself.

Lest we forget that Randy Couture hadnt fought in ages before the match because he was busy fighting the UFC, lest we also forget that size isnt everything in Mixed Martial Arts, Sylvia has discovered that...its only a matter of time before Brock discovers the same thing
Your arguement is completely baseless. Brock Lesnar nearly killed Frank Mir, Destroyed Heath Herring and knocked out a still very game Randy Couture. All three of those men have been top ten at some point in their careers.

When a guys comes to the show, barely loses, then completely dominates, then knocks out the champ it is safe to say he belongs there.

You completely ignore Lesnars technical abilities. He is a national champion wrestler(real wrestling) that credential alone gives you MMA credit. In the course of 6 months of training or so he was promoted to a purple belt in brazilian Jiu jitsu.

Your blinded by your bias if you say Lesnar is not any good.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Firstly...people watching Lesnar has nothing to do with whether or not he can fight, it has ALOT to do with his past work in Sports-Entertainment..something that dispite the crass photo-shoots for the new UFC magazine, we REALLY want to avoid

Secondly...about Randy Couture....Legend he might be...but actually go look at his record. The guy is beatable. We arent talking Legendary like Matt Hughes unbeaten at Title Level for goodness knows how long.

Thirdly...how long was it between fights for Couture...and dont want to be mean...but legend or not...age is a factor for him

Once again the UFC push someone to the top...meanwhile what happens to Nog exactly...you remember him?? it should have been HIM V Couture.

....not that I'm bitter or anything...but this is another case just like Mike Swick
Your more interested in seeing people that have "earned a title shot" who would never win the title contend instead of someone like Lesnar that will probably go down in history as one of the best HW's ever.

At this point in Nog's career Lesnar will KO him. Nog will not take Lesnar down and would not stand up to his power.

Mir is the only legit threat to Lesnar at this point in time and I feel Brock will destroy him much like their first encounter sans heel hook.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Your arguement is completely baseless. Brock Lesnar nearly killed Frank Mir, Destroyed Heath Herring and knocked out a still very game Randy Couture. All three of those men have been top ten at some point in their careers.

When a guys comes to the show, barely loses, then completely dominates, then knocks out the champ it is safe to say he belongs there.

You completely ignore Lesnars technical abilities. He is a national champion wrestler(real wrestling) that credential alone gives you MMA credit. In the course of 6 months of training or so he was promoted to a purple belt in brazilian Jiu jitsu.

Your blinded by your bias if you say Lesnar is not any good.
I'm weary of Professional Wrestlers who very late in their careers decide to suddenly change tact. I'm worried about the wider implications of pushing someone like him to the top. We dont want Professional Wrestling fans...trust me, the attention will damage the credibility of the sport...what happens if another top Professional Wrestler comes across? is he going to be pushed to the top aswell??

Just LOOK at that photo-shoot they did for the magazine!! Talk about CREATING a storyline...Do we REALLY need to see our Athletes doing that sort of thing?...Honnestly...We have a parking lot scene, a poolside scene...and a stupid cigar and brandy scene....

This is Mixed Martial Arts...it is NOT Professional Wrestling...and the problem is that he wasnt a small time Professional Wrestler who wouldnt attract the wrong type of attention

...I guess I wish he had stayed away from Mixed Martial Arts. Its not Brocks fault...its actually an Institutional issue. They need to decide which is more important...making money...or becoming a mainstream sport....because if they havent the patience to wait for the money...they can make big bucks now...but then they will be stuck with what they have...and eventually people will tire of it

IMHO they are coming frightfully close to crossing that line from competative sport...into a hybreed that combines competative fights, but also Professional Wrestling type storylines...borrowing already famous names from completely different industries
Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Your more interested in seeing people that have "earned a title shot" who would never win the title contend instead of someone like Lesnar that will probably go down in history as one of the best HW's ever.
I believe in the power of an underdog who has worked hard and eventually sees success...yes I do.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

So you don't think an attraction like Brock Lesnar and his superior wrestling skills and raw power attract attention is good for the sport? It's not like he's clotheslining people or going for backbreakers, and DDT's Dave. The guy is a legit, world class amateur wrestler, with the speed of a lightweight and the power of a grizzly bear - that in itself is a HUGE attraction whether you knew him in the WWE or not. He is positive for the sport and you're just being a hater.

Kinda like before his fight with Mir, Joe Rogan said you might see the prototype of the new heavyweight fighter in the UFC. Everybody else is either dropping a weight class to avoid him or bulking to try to deal his size and power. That says a ton right there when guys who've been doing fighting for all their lives are making those types of changes.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
So you don't think an attraction like Brock Lesnar and his superior wrestling skills and raw power attract attention is good for the sport? It's not like he's clotheslining people or going for backbreakers, and DDT's Dave. The guy is a legit, world class amateur wrestler, with the speed of a lightweight and the power of a grizzly bear - that in itself is a HUGE attraction whether you knew him in the WWE or not. He is positive for the sport and you're just being a hater.

Kinda like before his fight with Mir, Joe Rogan said you might see the prototype of the new heavyweight fighter in the UFC. Everybody else is either dropping a weight class to avoid him or bulking to try to deal his size and power. That says a ton right there when guys who've been doing fighting for all their lives are making those types of changes.
But people arent watching him for either of those reasons. They are watching him because he is already a brand name.

Ask yourself...why Brock Lesnar is on the top...and that other...lesser wellknown Professional Wrestler...whose name escapes me at present...why he is only a considerment for TUF

Chances are they can both be respectably good in their divisions...but one of them isnt really a money maker.

I'm not a hater...my bone isnt with Brock Lesnar...its not his fault...my bone is with the UFC system
Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Crisco

Quote:
But people arent watching him for either of those reasons. They are watching him because he is already a brand name.

Ask yourself...why Brock Lesnar is on the top...and that other...lesser wellknown Professional Wrestler...whose name escapes me at present...why he is only a considerment for TUF

Chances are they can both be respectably good in their divisions...but one of them isnt really a money maker.

I'm not a hater...my bone isnt with Brock Lesnar...its not his fault...my bone is with the UFC system
I think your wrong. The reason why Brock Lesnar is where he is, is because he is better.

His wrestling credentials are better and he has proven to be better.

Lashley struggled with Jason Guida.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

So, why do you watch him Dave?

Bobby Lashley. Well, Bobby Lashley also wasn't a Division 1 NCAA champion in wrestling. Many people who are fans of MMA or even just other competitive combat sports knew of Brock Lesnar before he was in the WWE.

I'm not disagreeing that he was unfairly pushed to the top, but that's life, it isn't fair, get over it. Brock's bringing in the ratings, the UFC is a business, and I don't think they're going down anytime soon, even though Dana is a ****head most of the times.

Listen to Dana, even Dana told Brock he should fight in smaller venues, but he refused saying he wanted to see if he was good or not and the UFC is the best so he wants to fight there. After his opening with Mir, he pretty much established that he belonged there, but still had some questions. After destroying Heath Herring, everybody knew the guy was legit. It's just smart marketing by the UFC to promote him to the top, and if you see, most of the fighters know it's a business. Sure they're a little upset, but they still understand why he was promoted to fight Randy.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing that he was unfairly pushed to the top, but that's life, it isn't fair, get over it. Brock's bringing in the ratings, the UFC is a business, and I don't think they're going down anytime soon, even though Dana is a ****head most of the times.

It's just smart marketing by the UFC to promote him to the top, and if you see, most of the fighters know it's a business. Sure they're a little upset, but they still understand why he was promoted to fight Randy.
No. I wont

Just because "cest La Vie" doesnt make it right. I might not be able to change that, but I can at least point it out as being morally bankrupt

Like I said before, my bone is not really with Brock Lesnar...(who, Incidently, I mentioned in my Undergraduate Dissertation Thesis sinse I used to watch him in Professional Wrestling, he was one of a few I studied, though, not in great detail with him...) Its really with the System