Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > Announcements > Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Chris Wescott
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Returning after a year or so

Hi All,

I have been a huge Matt fan for I don't know how long.

Above and beyond his admirable sportsmanship and talent, I think he sets a really good example for kids and adults alike.

He's a family man, religious, athletic and healthy, and cares deeply for his country and for those who risk their lives defending it.

Where I live, in NYC, these values and attributes are not as prevelant, and it seems people aim to unravel and turn back these attributes.

I aim to fight that tide. If anyone has any contacts or ideas on how I can begin to make a change and get involved I would be thankful.

-Chris
wescottc@live.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-02-2009, 06:37 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,739
Default

Well, first of all, welcome to the forums!

As for your question, well it's difficult to give advice on that because every person and every situation is different.

Some general advice would be:

1. NEVER compromise your morals, values or beliefs for the sake of unity. However, you also need to learn to pick your battles. You can always agree to disagree and be friends with people despite your differences. GOD brings various people into our lives for a reason, so you don't want to destroy relationships over political or religious arguments. Just let them know your beliefs and try to be a positive influence in their lives. It might take years but it will have an effect on them.

2. Try not to get emotional, when this happens your argument loses credibility. This is obviously extremely difficult, because if you aren't passionate about something, then why even fight for it? You just need to temper your passion with knowledge, because passion without knowledge simply leads to extremism.

3. Learn. Learn everything you can about your beliefs and try to understand WHY you believe the way you do. Also try to understand why those with opposing viewpoints believe the way they do. Try to anticipate every possible argument against your beliefs and also try to recognize when the person you are arguing against has become irrational and then exit the argument as soon as possible. Usually people get irrational when they are backed into a corner. One sign of this is they constantly change the topic. YOu might be talking about gay marriage, then they suddenly make a statement about assisted-suicide, when you try talking about that, then they suddenly want to talk about gun control. When this happens, then just stop debating the person and either talk about something else or leave them alone.

4. Start small. You can't change the whole world right away but try to make a difference in the lives of people that GOD brings you into contact with.

That's all I got for now, maybe someone else can add to it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Chris Wescott
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nate,

Thanks so much for responding!

Like I said, for work I have to live in NYC. I don't have any friends here because its hard to find people who share solid traditional American values here.

I am passionate about my values because I see them constantly under attack, and it feels like the other side is slowly but surely winning.

I was on here a year or so ago, and I remember meeting some wise folks. Your guidance below is great. Especially pick your battles and start slow.

I am coming out of a hard time in my life and I want to make a change. I swung by here cause it had been a while, and remembered what a positive influence Matt had been on me. I really admire him and aspire to lead the kind of life he does.

I am also going to try to find God again. I know he is always with me, but I haven't felt his presence since a year or two. I have not been born again and I can kind of feel this hole in my spiritual life that I think if I fill, I may be changed for the much better.

Thanks again...can you tell I'm lonely for like minded company?

-Chris




Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Well, first of all, welcome to the forums!

As for your question, well it's difficult to give advice on that because every person and every situation is different.

Some general advice would be:

1. NEVER compromise your morals, values or beliefs for the sake of unity. However, you also need to learn to pick your battles. You can always agree to disagree and be friends with people despite your differences. GOD brings various people into our lives for a reason, so you don't want to destroy relationships over political or religious arguments. Just let them know your beliefs and try to be a positive influence in their lives. It might take years but it will have an effect on them.

2. Try not to get emotional, when this happens your argument loses credibility. This is obviously extremely difficult, because if you aren't passionate about something, then why even fight for it? You just need to temper your passion with knowledge, because passion without knowledge simply leads to extremism.

3. Learn. Learn everything you can about your beliefs and try to understand WHY you believe the way you do. Also try to understand why those with opposing viewpoints believe the way they do. Try to anticipate every possible argument against your beliefs and also try to recognize when the person you are arguing against has become irrational and then exit the argument as soon as possible. Usually people get irrational when they are backed into a corner. One sign of this is they constantly change the topic. YOu might be talking about gay marriage, then they suddenly make a statement about assisted-suicide, when you try talking about that, then they suddenly want to talk about gun control. When this happens, then just stop debating the person and either talk about something else or leave them alone.

4. Start small. You can't change the whole world right away but try to make a difference in the lives of people that GOD brings you into contact with.

That's all I got for now, maybe someone else can add to it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wescott
Where I live, in NYC, these values and attributes are not as prevelant, and it seems people aim to unravel and turn back these attributes.

I aim to fight that tide. If anyone has any contacts or ideas on how I can begin to make a change and get involved I would be thankful.

-Chris
wescottc@live.com
Pray about it. Begin by finding a place in the wilderness thats full of solitude, Before his Ministry Christ went into the Desert to Fast and pray...yes also to resist Temptation, but there is something in getting away from what is man, and submersing oneself in GOD most pure creation in order to get yourself in a better situation to hear and receive from him.

I go out of my way to walk to a spot in the middle of the woods...miles away, and a spot that takes me about two hours to reach on foot. (I wont bore others with the Videos...but I'll send you two links in PM to show you where I go)

Then pray and dedicate that place and your future life to the purpose of that prayer...again a very old tradition of the ancient Jews to somehow mark a place physically when contact of great importance was made with GOD, they were forever naming places by the outcome of their supplication, or making Altars to mark an event.

After that pray without ceasing as you go back into your normal life and await your battle orders
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:36 PM
BigShoe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wescott
I am also going to try to find God again. I know he is always with me, but I haven't felt his presence since a year or two. I have not been born again and I can kind of feel this hole in my spiritual life that I think if I fill, I may be changed for the much better.
-Chris

Chris, your biggest need is to be born again. I was a very religious person until 18. I had religion but I didn't have a relationship with Jesus. At 18, I repented of my sins and put my trust in Christ and what He did on the cross for my sins. I was born again. My life has been greatly changed. We can't fill the spiritual holes by ourselves. Jesus must do that. Too many people try to change, or reform their lives. Jesus is the one that can change or reform. A church can't change you and good works won't save you but Jesus can. I am not saying, don't go to church or do good works but what I am saying is that we must be born again and that has to be done by faith in Christ.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, and no man can go to the Father but by Him.

By the way, Nate, that was great advice.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Rev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Chris,
I will be praying for you. Just by you realizing your need for Christ, you have made the first step. Now you just have to surrender your life to him and accept him as your lord and savior. The bible speaks of repenting of our sins, and contrary to what people think, repent doesnt mean confess or say that you are sorry for them. To repent means to turn away from something. So acording to the word of God we are to turn away from our sinful ways and turn toward new life in Christ.

By realizing that you are a sinner, confessing those sins and asking forgiveness for them, is the first step. Repenting of the old life and asking him to be your Lord and Savior is the next. there are no magic words, its just between you and God. I will be praying for you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-05-2009, 04:43 AM
mikthehick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Chris,

All of us are created by God for a purpose. You have a reason you were put here.

God Bless you brother, you'll be in my prayers.

Kimmy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.