Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 06-23-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Man vs. Wild helped boy survive night in the woods

I've always loved this show! Another reason why this show should be watched at any age. Anybody else watch the show?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090623/...Nob3doZWxwc3U-
Quote:
TV show helps Utah boy survive night solo in woods

By ELIZABETH WHITE, Associated Press Writer Elizabeth White, Associated Press Writer 25 mins ago

SALT LAKE CITY When he realized he'd been separated from his family on a weekend hike in a northern Utah forest, 9-year-old Grayson Wynne's thoughts turned to television.

Grayson watches "Man vs. Wild" on the Discovery Channel every week with his brothers and his dad. On the show, host and adventurer Bear Grylls strands himself in the wilderness and then shows viewers how to survive the sticky situations.

That's where Grayson says he learned to leave clues behind to help searchers find him.

On Saturday, when he was scared and alone in the Ashley National Forest, Grayson started tearing up his yellow rain slicker, despite the intermittent downpours, and tying pieces to trees.

"I just used my hands," said Grayson, who was found safe Sunday after spending 18 hours lost in the forest. "I don't know how many times I tore the thing but quite a lot."

Grayson was among a party of about 15 family members that left Saturday from the Spirit Lake trailhead in Daggett County. The group stopped to tighten a saddle on a horse at some point, said Grayson's dad, Kynan Wynne. But Grayson didn't realize it and went ahead of the pack before diverting onto a smaller trail in the thick forest.

Although Kynan Wynne was concerned for his son's safety, he was also confident in the boy's resilience.

"Somewhere he got the idea that for multiple reasons, not just for people to find you, but to retrace your steps if you have to, to leave a trail," Kynan Wynne said.

Grayson created a small shelter overnight under a fallen tree. The next day, he decided to follow a creek in hopes of finding help.

"I (thought I) might find the lake, that there might be somebody at the lake," he said.

Grayson, who will start fourth grade in the fall, also left a couple of clues for searchers that he didn't mean to.

He dropped a granola bar wrapper about 300 yards off the main trail. Searchers also found a small footprint and a backpack about 400 yards from the wrapper.

"I was just being pretty stupid that I dropped the backpack," Grayson said. "I was just panicking too much."

When Grayson heard a helicopter overhead, he ran into a meadow and waved the last piece of his jacket. But two searchers on horseback saw him first.

"It was such a good feeling that I was going to be all right," said Grayson, who got back to normal Monday by playing in a Little League double-header.

When he was reunited with his father, Grayson's first words were "Happy Father's Day."

The Daggett County sheriff's office credited the searchers, volunteers and Grayson's common sense for the positive outcome.

"The thing that he recognized from the show, regardless of the circumstances you're in, you are capable of surviving," Kynan Wynne said.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:27 PM
County Mike

Good job kid. Next time, don't wander off.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:51 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
Good job kid. Next time, don't wander off.
Agree.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

When I read the thread title, my first question was, how did the show help him?

Did the producers swoop down in a helicopters, give him some Big Macs, and take him back to a hotel?

Cool story though, and Man vs Wild is a pretty cool show.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that this wasn't the episode that helped him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14f67cj8GdI
Old 06-27-2009, 01:35 AM
Stump Rules!

No but it did help me once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I'm gonna go out on a limb & say that this wasn't the episode that helped him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14f67cj8GdI

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 06-30-2009, 08:11 PM

Good story. I bet if they had equipped the boy with a small survival kit (some are as small as an Altoid's tin) he could have blown a survival whistle (audible at far distances) and they could have found him much sooner.

It took me until my adulthood to learn the lessons of preparedness. On the same trip to Montana, I had three strikes but thankfully was not out.

Mistake #1 I didn't carry bear spray, a substantial knife or a gun in bear country. I did at least have the sense to wear a bear bell. One day, I waded out in a stream in waist-deep water to flyfish. I happened to turn around to check on my fishing partner a few hundred yards upstream and was shocked to see a black bear wading in the stream with me about 20 yards upstream. Thankfully, the bear did not express interest in me and moved on. I could have easily been his lunch!

Mistake #2 I didn't bring a first-aid kit. During the trip I was thrown off a horse and landed on my knee. I bled into it but didn't break my leg. I didn't have any first-aid equipment. A member of our group was more prepared than I was and let me use some compression bandages and Ibuprofen. In retrospect, I should have had an extra insurance policy to pay for an evacuation in case of medical emergency.

Mistake #3 Three of us went for a brief, before-dinner hike. Part of the trail had washed-out and we ended up getting lost. Our brief hike almost turned into an all-nighter. We stumbled back to our cabin at about 3 AM after hiking for hours. We had a small flashlight and water and snacks but were otherwise not prepared. No compass, no matches, no knife, etc.

I have learned my lesson. On my next trip to the woods I will have the bases covered: Knife, signaling device, fire-starter, water, extra clothing, compass, map, cordage, etc. on my person at all times. I am also going to take the belt and suspenders approach: a small survival kit on my person in case I get separated from my pack and a more extensive kit in my pack to prepare for more unforeseen circumstances.