Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 06-19-2009, 06:42 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default In these tough times; America needs Money...

MAYWEATHER

Here is an article I wrote and posted on BleacherReport.com
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ney-mayweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. Rattlesnake

In These Tough Times; America needs "Money" Mayweather

by - J.B. Rattlesnake

Boxing has been a part of American culture since the 1800's, and the sport has survived through many tough times for the nation, and for itself. Controversy is something that will always be a part of the fight game, and the debate that ensues amongst fans after the latest "big fight", is something that in part helps to keep the sport driving forward. Major hype, crooked judges, sleazy promoters, and bias talking heads are all a part of what the sport has grown into and, in a way, has always been.

Through the years, there was always a sense of national pride when it came to American Boxers fighting against foreign fighters. However, in recent years America has not gotten behind it's stars in the sport the same way it used to. It could be in part due to the rise in popularity of Mixed Martial Arts and, more specifically, the UFC. It also could be, because there is no polarizing Heavyweight, akin to the likes of a Mike Tyson in the 80's. It COULD be, and probably is, a number of things.

Personally, I think it's a combination of the above two points, and a little more. The pull that the term "Heavyweight Champion" carries to the water-cooler fans of the sport in America is huge. To the purists of the sport, that is ridiculous, but it's a reality in todays mainstream. A marketable Heavyweight will beat out the next guy everyday, even if his actual talent is sub-par to that of the lower weight classes. If you don't believe me, just ask Dana White how much the UFC loves Brock Lesnar.

Speaking again of the UFC, I think that is another factor in the decline of Boxing in America. Not that I dislike the UFC, or MMA, actually I am huge fan. However, I am not a "typical" fan, which is obvious by the fact that I choose to spend enough time to actually blog about this topic, and others. Mixed Martial Arts is awesome, and I think that in the long run, it is actually going to help Boxing. The two are completely different games sharing the same ball, if you can make sense of that. They can co-exist, and I think that they will, but for now Boxing is taking a hit, and it needs a shot of adrenaline in the American market.

The "little more" I referenced earlier is what I think is some heavy bias in the Boxing media, and the always over-the-top ramblings of water-cooler fans on Internet message boards. Twenty years ago, things were different, obviously. The Internet was not a factor, and America did have more nationalism, both in sports and politics. However, today people are not motivated in the same ways they were back then, and the powerful medium of the Internet has given all of us a voice, including me.

By my observation, things have changed a lot since the inception of Golden Boy Promotions (GBP), and their purchase of The Ring magazine. Many circles of Boxing media still consider The Ring to be factual, and let most of their rankings and reports to go almost completely without question. The fact that GBP has such a control over the interests of the sport is a bit questionable, considering it's primary shareholder and subsequent namesake is Oscar De La Hoya.

Even in retirement, Oscar still has a huge stake in what fights happen, when they happen, and how much money is made. The conflict of interest that comes into play by De La Hoya owning the most influencial publication in the sport is clear considering he does not represent the two most respected and highest ranked fighters in the sport; Floyd Mayweather Jr., and Manny Pacquiao. The fact that Floyd beat Oscar, and never granted him a rematch, even when Oscar offered Floyd twenty million dollars to do it, is reason enough to question his taste for Mayweather. Then, he was forced to fight Pacquiao, who TKO'd him in the eighth round and, for all intents and purposes, sent him into retirement.

To finally get to the meat and potatoes of my diatribe, I think the American Boxing media has been overly harsh to Floyd Mayweather Jr. on many fronts. Here is a man with speed and skills our sport rarely sees, if you can even truly compare Mayweather to any other Boxer in history for that matter. He is also an American. So my question is; Where is the love? Of course, Mayweather makes himself an easy target by being flashy and cocky, but he is still undefeated and has fought the best competition for over a decade. Can't we give the man the same breaks that have been accorded to other Boxing legends, including Mr. De La Hoya?

In recent months, since Mayweather's return to Boxing became a reality, I have read mostly negative press against the man. Everything from stern criticisms on his decision to fight Juan Manuel Marquez and their difference in weight, to FAKE stories written by glorified bloggers that go out on a limb to prove Mayweather is broke, and only fighting for money. Both are ridiculous and I have two questions; First,how much negative press did Oscar get for doing the same exact thing in demanding a certain weight? Second, what man do you know who is "broke" or "going broke" and turns down a twenty million dollar pay-day?

Back in the day, America got behind it's fighters, or at least a good rivalry. Look at the support that fighters like Marciano, Leonard, and Tyson got. Or, the great rivalries like Ali and Frazier. Though all those times, the sport was booming, and in many ways it still is today. However, if the sport really stands a chance of bouncing back in the numbers in the next few years in America, we need to rally behind our talent. Floyd Mayweather Jr. is the man who personifies that. His style is a puzzle that has yet to be put together by any of his opponents, and his character at it's core is what the American dream is all about. He comes from what is widely considered Boxing's first family, and he has spent his entire life living, breathing, and studying Boxing. Many people who know Mayweather personally consider him to be a wonderful individual, and his desire to give back to the community through his charity only add to that notion.

For now, everyone who follows Boxing can agree that a fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquaio is the most anticipated fight in the sport. We can only hope that it becomes a reality and put in writing before the year's end. With Floyd's looming rib injury that has displaced his comeback fight against Marquez until at least September, it's questionable as to when we will actually see this fight. However, money still talks louder than anything, not only in this sport, in life in general. So, it's not a question of IF we will see this fight, but rather a matter of WHEN.

Last edited by J.B.; 06-19-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:45 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Yeesh, you've been hanging out with Dave too much!! Can I get the SparkNotes version?
Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Nice article JB, very well written. Obviously, I don't completely agree with everything, but I respect your opinion.

Now....where do you want me to reply....here, bleachreport.com, or both?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Miss Foxy

As a boxing fan and wanna be boxer I enjoyed this so much!!!!!! You hit many valid points!! Good I mean good article!!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:06 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Yeesh, you've been hanging out with Dave too much!! Can I get the SparkNotes version?
All you college grads are so damn lazy, I swear....

Here are the CliffNotes...

Floyd Rules, dont be a hater, love your country.

PS - I have not been hanging out with Dave at all. I don't even get to meet him face to face until September!

Last edited by J.B.; 06-19-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:08 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Nice article JB, very well written. Obviously, I don't completely agree with everything, but I respect your opinion.

Now....where do you want me to reply....here, bleachreport.com, or both?
Oh Rock... I knew you wouldn't agree, but I am glad you thought it was good!

I gotta be honest, as if you could not tell, our debate on PBF was what prompted me to write that piece. I signed up for Bleacher Report a while back to respond to some idiot who was hating on Jordan, and I never took the time to write an article. I got this idea the other day, and went with it.

Please respond here, and then copy and paste it on BR if you like....

Last edited by J.B.; 06-19-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Oh Rock... I knew you wouldn't agree.

I gotta be honest, as if you could not tell, our debate on PBF was what prompted me to write that piece. I signed up for Bleacher Report a while back to respond to some idiot who was hating on Jordan, and I never took the time to write an article. I got this idea the other day, and went with it.

Please respond here, and then copy and paste it on BR if you like....
Haha, yeah, I figured I might have had something to do with that

You mean, Michael Jordan? The only thing I ever hated about Jordan was that he left to play baseball for a while. The records he could have broken...

Ok, onto business. I didn't really have much as I think it's very well written, just wanted to see what you thought about the following...

1. Regardless of DLH's influence, Floyd brings the "harsh media" on himself through his public persona. If he just let his fists do the talking, he'd get positive media support. I love the fact that he's an American, but many people have walked out during his fights because he treats some boxing matches like it's a marathon run instead of a fight; people are paying him to entertain, and his 15 punches a round isn't entertaining to most people. I greatly respect his defensive skills, it's just unfathomable how good he really is at defense and the "Sweet Science", but to most people, offense is far more appealing (think Hagler/Hearns). However, I see that you appreciate the great defense as well as the offense, which is one of the reasons you like Mayweather so much; it just puts you in a large minority from what I've seen and I've been on neutral sites such as YouTube. And yes, I understand the power of the media on peoples' opinions, they helped Obama get elected

2. Aside from the money factor offered to him from De La Hoya #1, why didn't/doesn't he fight the best in his own weight division where he claims to be king? Yes, he's entitled to a "tune up" fight, but in the past, he still didn't fight the best...I'm talking Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, and Paul Williams? IMO, it's to protect his perfect record because those 3 guys are big threats.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:49 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Haha, yeah, I figured I might have had something to do with that

You mean, Michael Jordan? The only thing I ever hated about Jordan was that he left to play baseball for a while. The records he could have broken...

Ok, onto business. I didn't really have much as I think it's very well written, just wanted to see what you thought about the following...

1. Regardless of DLH's influence, Floyd brings the "harsh media" on himself through his public persona. If he just let his fists do the talking, he'd get positive media support. I love the fact that he's an American, but many people have walked out during his fights because he treats some boxing matches like it's a marathon run instead of a fight; people are paying him to entertain, and his 15 punches a round isn't entertaining to most people. I greatly respect his defensive skills, it's just unfathomable how good he really is at defense and the "Sweet Science", but to most people, offense is far more appealing (think Hagler/Hearns). However, I see that you appreciate the great defense as well as the offense, which is one of the reasons you like Mayweather so much; it just puts you in a large minority from what I've seen and I've been on neutral sites such as YouTube. And yes, I understand the power of the media on peoples' opinions, they helped Obama get elected

2. Aside from the money factor offered to him from De La Hoya #1, why didn't/doesn't he fight the best in his own weight division where he claims to be king? Yes, he's entitled to a "tune up" fight, but in the past, he still didn't fight the best...I'm talking Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, and Paul Williams? IMO, it's to protect his perfect record because those 3 guys are big threats.
Okay, good stuff...

NUMERO UNO... Jordan can do whatever he wants. Period. However, that was a trying time, his dad just died (and happy F day to all F's), and there was also a RUMOR (not that I totally believe it) that Jordan was gonna be suspended for a year by the NBA for his over-zealous gambling.

He played minor league for MY TEAM, the White Sox, down in Birmingham AL. He made about $5 an hour for his time on the team. Yeah, Jerry Reinsdorf is the owner of the BULLS and the SOX, so it seemed a bit fishy, but I honestly DO NOT CARE. Those were my childhood years, and Jordan IS the best ever, I love him, and I make no argument in admitting that. Side note, I just read yesterday that JORDAN is still tied for number 2 on the current list of highest paid athletes. Tiger Woods is number 1, and Jordan and Kobe are tied for 2.

Number 2 - I can respect where you are going with that, but I guess it's just not something I buy into. To me, thats the "Anderson Silva" argument. Just because you don't find every fight the most entertaining, you cannot take away from the talent of the people involved. It's part of the game.

Number 3 - Seriously...how can you talk about Mosley and Cotto and have a giant Pac-Man sig at the same time? You make the argument about weight, but Mosley is MUCH bigger than Floyd. Do you remember what weight Floyd started at??? How is Mosley not picking on the smaller guy? He is sure picking on Pac, along with GBP!!!

Cotto, the same thing...not to mention that when Cotto REALLY came into people's minds, Floyd already had bigger fights on the horizon. Paul Williams??? Same thing....but why not ask Mosley and Cotto why THEY have been ducking Williams? I said that early in our last Mayweather thread.

Cotto, Mosley, Williams, those are NATURAL 150+ pound guys, much bigger than Floyd or Manny. Of course you are picky when making those kind of fights, why do you think both FLOYD AND MANNY waited to fight DLH and Hatton. If you are a Pac-Man fan, you should be on the Floyd bandwagon right now, FOR REAL. Those guys from GBP will only help further their cause, and not work for the sport. We ALL know that PBF and Pac is the best fight possible, and we want to see it. American or whatever, that is CLEAR.