Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-15-2009, 06:22 PM
TDPARKASH

Default UFC 100- Alves vs. GSP (Analysis Thread)

As UFC 100 is fast approaching, I wanted to create a thread to discuss the match up (on a technical level) between the two WW's. Here's my analysis of Alves keys for victory (I will post GSP's soon):

(Note: Please no Greasegate discussion here)

1. Alves-

Keys to Victory: As Thiago's stand up is his strongest point, he must find a way to keep it standing. My biggest problem with Alves's game, is that he doesn't use a lot of footwork. As he has amazing technique in traditional muay thai, he has a tendancy to come forward with his storng stance (as Muay Thai fighters typically do). He has been really successful in the past with approach, as he generates a lot of power with his leg kicks and keeps his hand's up most of the time. The problem with GSP's stand-up, is that he moves around a lot and will be a moving target the whole fight. In my opinion, Alves will have a tuff time hitting GSP if he doesn't use distance and time to go in and out of range. I believe if Alves can use good footwork, he will pose two major problems for GSP:

1. GSP won't be able to time his shot as effecitvely. Alves has shown good takedown defense, and i believe he can stuff GSP if he is in a good position to Sprawl.

2. Leg Kicks- As Alves has some of the most strongest leg kicks in this division, he can really slow down GSP if he can land strong kicks to the leg early in the fight.

Even if Alves has good timing with his footwork, I really hope he can prepare for GSP's versatility. What I believe makes GSP's takedown so effective, is in his combinations leading up to the takedown. GSP uses a lot of fakes, and will use good punch and kick combos so the opponent is not in a good position to sprawl.

As many analyst's will predict, If Alves can't stop GSP's takedowns, he will be in for a long night of GNP.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 PM

Good idea!

Cannot wait for this even and at least I'll be in Vegas.

I can only echo i guess waht everyone else says in that if ALves can keep it standing then both have a good opportunity to damage eachother. i woudlnt want to give the advantage to either.

GSP must be aware of this though and recently it seems no one can stop his wrestling.

Its an intriguing fight for sure.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Crisco

Gsp wins this fight a la Jon fitch
Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Krupp

My analysis?

It'd be great if they just KO'd each other and did me a favor. I can't stand either of them now. I like GSP a little more than Alves though, I'll admit that much
Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Maldonado136

im pulling for gsp. i predict that alves will rock him in one of the first two rounds and then gsp will use his wrestling to secure a decision or late stoppage if alves gasses.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I'm predicting Alves will fail to make weight, and if he does, he will later be busted for diuretics.

GSP remains vaseline free until after the fight.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Jason 16

I could see alves timeing a knee as GSP shoots also I could see the ref standing them up if GSP gets him down he did do a good job of tieing up matt when he got him down.

I realy dont care who wins I just want to see a war and no one gets screwed
Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 PM
CAVEMAN

I'm with Crisco on this one. I think this fight will be similar to the Fitch fight. GSP pretty much dominating the entire fight. Only difference is, I do think GSP might even finish Alves via GnP.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Alves wins if he keeps it standing. GSP wins if he gets it on the ground, though Alves is hard to keep down. Alves would be wise to wear spandex instead of shorts, so GSP can't grab them.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:46 AM
Jason 16

I just want to see the damm fight allready!!