Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Hughes fanboy

Default Shaq wants to fight Hong Man Choi

I for one would love to see the Shaq-tus gets pwned in this...

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/or...12238013.shtml

It's Shaq attack and adding to his list of accomplishes as a world famous and icon of Basketball, a musician, and an actor. He wants to jump in the ring with some of the most deadly men in the ring in MMA.

According to the BleacherReport, "The Big Shaq-tus has been training for years, but he apparently spotted a weakness in the game of Choi Hong-man that made him decide to cast his hat in the ring—or cage. If you'll remember, Hong-man was the giant Korean kickboxer who did us all a favor by beating up Jose Canseco for a minute or so."

Hong-man is a monster weighing in at around 340 lbs and 7 ft 2 inches. Shaq weighs in at 325 lbs and is 7 ft 1 inches. A monster matchup for sure and one I'm sure many will dish out money to see. Shaq has been training in MMA styles with a company called The 6 Level. (c) tPC
Old 06-17-2009, 11:17 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Let's not forget that Shaq's also an honorary cop!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Bleacher Report is not the best source, but this is being reported everywhere else too.

WAR Shaq-Fu!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:58 AM
Hughes fanboy

whatever, hope he gets that fight! be a lot more interesting than Jose Conseco!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Idiot
Old 06-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Crisco

I doubt his B-Ball contract lets him fight.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Straight Right

Wed May 06, 2009 8:30 pm EDT

Shaquille O'Neal: hoopster, twitter fan, MMA fighter?
By Maggie Hendricks

It seems that everywhere, people are catching on to the benefits of learning mixed martial arts. Everyone includes basketball superstar Shaquille O'Neal, who is spending his off-season training at Jonathan Burke's Gracie Gym in Orlando.

O'Neal, who is listed at 7'2" and 325 lbs., goes by his old nickname at the gym, Diesel. He's been training with Burke for 10 years, where he does the full gamut of MMA, boxing, jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai and wrestling. Cagewriter spoke with Burke who said that O'Neal is in great shape, and loves the nature of the training.

"We can work drills 20 times through, and he works his tail off on everything," Burke said. "He has way more talent with this stuff than people would imagine."

O'Neal's specialty? Much like Clubber Lang, it's pain. Shaq-fu is said to have some killer knees as well as a phenomenal rear naked choke. He isn't the only athlete to try MMA, as former Redskins wide receiver Michael Westbrook is now a jiu-jitsu player who won his only MMA match. Marcus Jones, a six-year NFL veteran, turned to MMA in retirement, and has won four fights. Will Shaq ever enter the cage?

"Not while he's playing," Burke said. "But you never know."

O'Neal recently told former UFC champ Chuck Liddell in a Twitter Post to look out for him. The upper weight of the UFC is 265 lbs., but with Jose Canseco fighting a 7'2" kickboxer in Japan, anything can happen. He just may be the first athlete to hold four NBA championship rings and a title belt.

I don't think Shaq is under contract with the NBA, as I'm pretty sure he only signed a short term deal with the Suns. Whatever, everyone seems to want a piece of the MMA pie. It would be interesting to see Choi fight someone his own size for a change, I sure wouldn't pay my hard-earned $$$ to see it though.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I doubt his B-Ball contract lets him fight.
Why not? Dennis Rodman and Karl Malone were both in WCW during the off-season. I know that's not real fighting, but there's still more than enough danger in professional wrestling.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:09 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

His contract is not typical because of his status in the league, but you do raise an interesting point because a lot of franchise players would not be allowed to do this kind of stuff, even in the offseason.

Shaq IS still under contract with the Suns. Hence the trade rumors that have been floating around in the last week.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:38 PM

despite peoples opinions about choi he is a very accomplished kickboxer... I dont see this going well for shaq... maybe in his younger days when he was an athletic freak on nature