Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 06-17-2009, 05:30 AM

Default Dr. David Berlinski on evolution *vid*

David Berlinski was raised in New York City, educated at Columbia College and recieved his Ph.D in philosophy from Princeton University. He later became a Fellow of the Faculty in Mathematics and a Post Doctoral Fellow in molecular biology at Columbia University. These are some of his thoughts on the theory of evolution

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpeOD593lCc

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrT4eJBH5EE

Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykojojo
David Berlinski was raised in New York City, educated at Columbia College and recieved his Ph.D in philosophy from Princeton University. He later became a Fellow of the Faculty in Mathematics and a Post Doctoral Fellow in molecular biology at Columbia University. These are some of his thoughts on the theory of evolution

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpeOD593lCc

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrT4eJBH5EE
Excellent video! I remember this guy from Expelled. I've heard from many different scientists that Darwinian Evolution really has no scientific legs to stand on.

The entire theory of Evolution was discredited more than 100 years ago with the discovery of the Cambrian Explosion. However, the Smithsonian Museum deliberately hid that evidence away until recent decades. During the Cambrian Explosion a huge variety of life forms simply appeared fully formed on Earth. Eyes, legs, fins, tentacles, gills, etc. all appear simultaneously, fully-formed, with no transitional forms anywhere to be seen. Leaving the inevitable conclusion that life couldn't have evolved here on Earth. So that leaves two possibilities, either life was seeded by extra-terrestrials, or created by GOD. The simple question is, which one are we willing to believe?

Then the discovery of the Big Bang in the 1960s was yet another nail in the coffin to Darwin's theories, since it set a very firm starting date for the beginning of the universe and made scientists realize that they simply isn't enough time or matter in the universe for life to have reached this level of complexity from nothing, using random processes.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
simply isn't enough time or matter in the universe for life to have reached this level of complexity from nothing, using random processes.
And non-living materials. Thats the most amazing thing to me, it requires just as much faith (actually more since there isn't much evidence to support it) as christianity. Evolution is a religion, plain and simple, it isn't science

Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykojojo
Evolution is a religion, plain and simple, it isn't science
At the very least, it's a philosophy. It's absolutely unprovable scientifically since it requires processes that extend beyond thousands of human lifespans. It can't be observed, thus it can't be proven.

I do like his point about the fallacy of pointing to one or two changes, within a species, as proof of Evolution. He made a good point, in that you can't take a process that would require 50,000 changes, show two changes, and claim that you've proven it scientifically. What about the other 49,998 changes?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 AM
logrus

Anyone who starts an interview gesturing the middle finger is a man after my own heart..
Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
Anyone who starts an interview gesturing the middle finger is a man after my own heart..
Ah, so you share my affection for Nick Diaz then!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:47 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
Ah, so you share my affection for Nick Diaz then!
Nick, Nate Diaz, Stone Cold
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Hughes fanboy

hey Nate -

Ever heard of Satan?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion
hey Nate -

Ever heard of Satan?
You leave me out of this..

Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
You leave me out of this..

Your intellectual acumen is as poignant as the wisdom you so oft display.