Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
I guess I don't understand why anyone would be angry about another person's perspective. I'm not angry about yours. If what another person is doing works for them, then that person should be confident in that. I'll give an example: I get up early in the mornings (5 - 6 am) and run 1 - 3 miles every day. I've had a couple of people say "You're crazy!!" for doing that. They say they would never exercise that early in the morning. Does it make me angry that they disagree with that regimen and would never do it? No. It works for me. To each his own.

I've already admitted that my own direct experience with Psychiatry and Psychology is limited (although I have studied the subject in the past). It would be great if others could admit the same. We all have very limited experience contrasted with all that there is to know in life, so people trying to trump others in the Experience Department is pointless.

I have a lot of experience in being healthy and being around people who are healthy. I have some limited experience with great people who happened to have some challenges with depression, etc., and I can relate what worked for them. Faith worked. Pessimism didn't. Psychiatry (drugs) had some effectiveness. Therapy mostly didn't.

So, in my opinion (and it is just my opinion), psychology is garbage. Another person might say that my morning exercise is garbage (or a waste of time, or whatever). A third person might say that faith in Christ is a waste of time, and I would calmly disagree. There's no cause for anger because of another's perspective.
Firstly, its healthy to be passionate about your views. If someone insulted Christ infront of me, I'd probably be angered, just like I would if someone insulted anyone I feel loyal to.

Secondly, your giving out advise and making wild and broad stereotypes, and thats not very helpeful for people if they are mentally ill and dont know what to do about it.

Thirdly, you aregue your point without even addressing my counters, you simply repeat yourself forever clarifying your version of events. I understand where you are coming from, but you give no reasons as to why you think what you do, nor do you examine my cases that would disprove or cause your theories concern.

That gets me frustrated. "to each his own" is a FAR bigger lie then anything Psychology ever came up with. You cant get more Humanistic then a phrase like that. That phrase is WHY half the people ARE mentally Ill as I tried to explain before. "To each his own" says that there is no FIXED and ABSOLUTE truth...without which people dont know where to turn, if they arent blown away with the fragmentation and overwhelemed with choices on how they should live their lives, they end up likely making the wrong decisions. I do not believe in Moral Relativity...and no Christian should entertain such thoughts. There is but one Moral Code of Value, and there is a definate and absolute Truth expressed through The Word

He is called Jesus Christ, and His Word is the Bible (infact often the references of "logos" are used interchangably, between Christ and the Bible.)

I'd like you to listen to this track. It explains everything perfectly. This is what post-modernity has done to the world. It has removed the ideal of a Fixed Morality, and thats detrimental to our being. She's being Sarcastic by the way, proving a fantastic point about "each to their own"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-wGMlSuX_c
__________________

Last edited by Tyburn; 03-10-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-10-2009, 05:26 AM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
just like I would if someone insulted anyone I feel loyal to.
like me?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
like me?


No...I was thinking like Jens Pulver...or Nathan Rosario...or Michelle, or Denise.

Your different...because you actually shine best in a verbal sparring match, so if someone insults you I'll wait to see your response, then try to hop in on the action Your more like Rampage in that respect...say Andreas...can you dance?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,480
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Firstly, its healthy to be passionate about your views.
We should be in good shape then, Dave.




Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

My biggest problem with esteem is when it ehfogs up my ehglasses.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,480
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan47
The medical community is not in complete agreement about the permanence of a shift; my doctor says maybe so but we can't be sure yet. There are several books, including the original "Listening to Prozac" which include discussion of this issue.
However, if the chemical balance of the brain has been changed by trauma, why not aid the reversal process through appropriate use of medication?

On the spiritual side, I think a person has to want to get better. We can't engage in a pity party in our grief. For mental illness, as with any other cross we are given to bear, if we ask Him for help we will get it.

As I read about various MMA fighters and how they have faced up to struggles in their own life, I have been inspired. I came to following MMA as a distraction from my grief. I have stayed because it helped me along the path to joy.

I give thanks for Matt, Rich, and all the others who, whether they realized it or not, have given hope.

Peace.
I hope I didn't give the impression that I wasn't all for medications because that isn't true. When I have a psych patient I can't get to the doctor fast enough to ask for medications. ( ) However, I see so many cases where a prescription is written and the patient virtually forgotten. In most cases meds alone just won't do the trick. And way too often these people think that medication is going to 'fix' everything.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
My biggest problem with esteem is when it ehfogs up my ehglasses.
You know I say.. I say... I say why didn't I think of that???
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
We should be in good shape then, Dave.






Well I feel healthy...but then I did take my sertraline this morning...you

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn


No...I was thinking like Jens Pulver...or Nathan Rosario...or Michelle, or Denise.

Your different...because you actually shine best in a verbal sparring match, so if someone insults you I'll wait to see your response, then try to hop in on the action Your more like Rampage in that respect...say Andreas...can you dance?
of course i can dance.....
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
of course i can dance.....
I bet you cant dance aswell as Quinton though
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.