Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default Personal Attacks, Political Discussion, and Ethical Journalism

First I am going to share a short story, then ask a question...

Today, I was tuned in to AM 670 "The Score", a local sports-talk radio station based out of Chicago. The Score is the exclusive radio home of the Chicago White Sox, so needless to say, I am pretty much tuned in all day everyday for the entire baseball season. Today's game was delayed due to rain, and while we waited, the afternoon team of Boers and Bernstien began broadcasting their usual show. Now, granted, ANYBODY who has listened to their show knows that these two LOVE to rile people up.

The topic of discussion was Jay Cutler, the new Quarterback for the Chicago Bears. Former Bears coach, who needs no introduction, Mike Ditka came out in the press the other day and made a comment that Cutler still needs to prove himself in Chicago, because after all he still has YET to even play a single game. A fair statement, from a man with EXCELLENT credentials in the sport of football. So, in a ridiculous tirade, Terry Boers claims that Chicago fans are stupid, and that Mike Ditka is stupid because he was at a Sarah Palin rally. Now, it's no secret that Ditka is a republican. He almost ran for office in Chicago, and believe me, he will win if he ever does.

Boers then goes on to say that David Letterman should never have apologized for his comments about Sarah Palin's daughter earlier in the week. For those who are unfamiliar, Letterman made a joke saying that when Palin attended a Yankees game during her visit to New York, her daughter got knocked up by Alex Rodriguez (a player for the Yankees). What Letterman failed to realize was that the daughter who actually attended the game with Sarah Palin was not her 18 year old daughter Bristol, but rather her 14 year old daughter Willow.

As if that was not enough, Boers goes on to say that everybody knows Letterman was talking about the 18 year old daughter Bristol, and that because she is 18, she is "fair game". So, I took it upon myself to send a text message to the show, stating that I found it classless of them to attack a young girl solely based on her mother's political beliefs. 14, 18, it makes no difference.

Well, I got a response, both on the air, and in text....

Boers defense on the air, was more ridiculous snotty remarks, which were backed by his little side-kick Bernstien, akin to Robin being led around on a collar by Batman. However, what REALLY hit home, was the response he sent to my phone via text. He said...

"18-year old. Fair game. And a whore"

Wow. Even for this guy, I was truly shocked. What has become of our society where this is considered respectable behavior? I promptly responded and asked Boers if he intended to repeat that statement on the air, and he responded that the term "hosebag" is what he would use on the air (which he did not). He said that there are lots of things he would like to say on-air, but he is limited to "specific boundaries".

Really, "specific boundaries"? Even if the term "hosebag" carried the same negative connotation as "whore", which is DOES NOT, why wouldn't he be barred from saying that? Why is this guy allowed to spew hatred directed at a young girl he has never met and doesn't really know anything about, when he is SUPPOSED to be talking sports? Obviously, I would not type all this crap, or post it in the politics section if the heart of my gripe was rooted in his distaste for Mike Ditka. Da Coach is a big boy, he don't need my defense, but an 18, or a 14 year old girl? Boers is about 70 years old, even if he has an opinion, you would think that he knows where the line is drawn. Would he like it if somebody spoke of his children that way? How do you think Boers would react if a conservative made offensive comments about Obama's daughters? Well, considering that "The Score" is the home of the White Sox, and Obama is a BIG White Sox fan, I doubt you would hear ANYBODY condoning that kind of thing, nor should they. If they did, they would probably be fired.

Boers is considered by many to be a "respected journalist" in the Chicago area. I would have to say I disagree that he deserves much "respect".

Now, my question to the forum is,
what do you guys think is acceptable when debating about political figures? Also, do you feel that people who have a large public forum, like a tv or radio show, should be held to a higher standard?

Surely terms like, "stupid", "idiot", and things of that nature are on one level, but I think this kind of stuff is WAY beyond that. I just cannot see how so many people rally to justify it. They say, "it's just comedy", or they are "fair game", but is that really true? Are they not human beings? Do their political beliefs being different than yours make them, and their families, "fair" targets for personal attacks?

I know this was kinda long, but I really needed to rant on that one.

Last edited by J.B.; 06-12-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2009, 01:21 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,299
Default

Just because someone's mother or father runs for political office, doesn't mean that their children are open to attack. 14, 18, 5, 35, it doesn't matter, the media should leave them alone.

Unfortunately, this is the day of the liberal double standard in America. If you are a conservative, Christian, and/or Republican, then you are fair game for all kinds of slander, libel, personal attacks, or whatever would be considered tasteless, evil, or racist if aimed at a liberal Democrat.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2009, 01:30 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Just because someone's mother or father runs for political office, doesn't mean that their children are open to attack. 14, 18, 5, 35, it doesn't matter, the media should leave them alone.

Unfortunately, this is the day of the liberal double standard in America. If you are a conservative, Christian, and/or Republican, then you are fair game for all kinds of slander, libel, personal attacks, or whatever would be considered tasteless, evil, or racist if aimed at a liberal Democrat.
I agree completely, and I have a feeling that MOST of this forum will too.

I guess I was just so taken-a-back by his response, which is personalized because it was directly to me, that I felt the need to talk about it. I seriously wish I could take some sort of action to get Boers name out there and tell people what a piece of crap he is, but another part of me feels like it's pointless.

Maybe if I wrote Bill O'Reilly a letter about it, he would look into it and comment on it. I know he has MUCH bigger fish to fry, but that is also kinda what he does. Ya know, exposing people in the media who are out of line. Then at the same time, I don't want to give this guy the satisfaction. I don't know, I guess in a way I consider myself somewhat of a cynic, similar to Boers, but I also know the difference between right and wrong, and that is what has me so steamed.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-2009, 01:38 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
I agree completely, and I have a feeling that MOST of this forum will too.

I guess I was just so taken-a-back by his response, which is personalized because it was directly to me, that I felt the need to talk about it. I seriously wish I could take some sort of action to get Boers name out there and tell people what a piece of crap he is, but another part of me feels like it's pointless.

Maybe if I wrote Bill O'Reilly a letter about it, he would look into it and comment on it. I know he has MUCH bigger fish to fry, but that is also kinda what he does. Ya know, exposing people in the media who are out of line. Then at the same time, I don't want to give this guy the satisfaction. I don't know, I guess in a way I consider myself somewhat of a cynic, similar to Boers, but I also know the difference between right and wrong, and that is what has me so steamed.
I've never even heard of this Boers guy, probably for good reason.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I've never even heard of this Boers guy, probably for good reason.
See, that's why I doubt O'Reilly would even give it the time of day, but still.

He is a sports journalist, so he's off the radar, but he is not the only one "off the radar" who is doing this. I guess I think they should be pointed out. Maybe I'll start a website or something....

I wonder if LIBTARD.com is taken?

EDIT: Yes, it is.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-2009, 01:58 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

For the record, here is a picture of Boers...



Here is a guy who calls Brett Favre a hillbilly and makes fun of him for wearing Wrangler jeans. Yet, his comb-over and Hawaiian shirt, and creepy stock double image, SCREAM pedophile. No wonder he enjoys making deplorable comments about young girls.

He's about 70 years old, shoot him with a taser gun!

Last edited by J.B.; 06-12-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2009, 02:03 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
He's about 70 years old, shoot him with a taser gun!
Actually, he's too young for that. Wait a couple of years after he's committed a minor traffic offense. We all know that's who tasers were designed for - retirees who have committed misdemeanors.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Actually, he's too young for that. Wait a couple of years after he's committed a minor traffic offense. We all know that's who tasers were designed for - retirees who have committed misdemeanors.



Whats funny is that I could actually see that happening in Chicago. He seems like a cantankerous old man, one who would probably raise a stink over a traffic ticket. Only difference is, they don't tase people in Chicago, they beat the crap out of them!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 AM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Just because someone's mother or father runs for political office, doesn't mean that their children are open to attack. 14, 18, 5, 35, it doesn't matter, the media should leave them alone.

Unfortunately, this is the day of the liberal double standard in America. If you are a conservative, Christian, and/or Republican, then you are fair game for all kinds of slander, libel, personal attacks, or whatever would be considered tasteless, evil, or racist if aimed at a liberal Democrat.
During the presidential race a lot of the forum said it was ok to personally attack their wives, relatives, and friends and many said that they were fair game. Personally I don't see the difference between them and a 18 year old and if one was fair game then so should the other.

Anyways I thought the Dave joke was tasteless in the fact that it was directed at a very young lady and a young mother who did the right thing after doing the wrong thing. Who really wants nothing to do with the spot light not like celebs and what not.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-12-2009, 03:48 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
During the presidential race a lot of the forum said it was ok to personally attack their wives, relatives, and friends and many said that they were fair game. Personally I don't see the difference between them and a 18 year old and if one was fair game then so should the other.

Anyways I thought the Dave joke was tasteless in the fact that it was directed at a very young lady and a young mother who did the right thing after doing the wrong thing. Who really wants nothing to do with the spot light not like celebs and what not.
C'mon bro..Really?

I know the forum has changed since then, and you can't dig it up, but can you actually give a specific memory of something to this degree happening on this forum? Also, should it matter if they are 18 or 14, considering the guy doing the dirty talk is an old man?

I'm game.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.