Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 06-17-2009, 03:44 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
it depends, i would not root, but I wouldn't complain if we gained ground, I was glad that they beat the brewers a few days ago....not because the sox had won, but because the brewers had lost//it wasn't rooting though, just not giving a shyte really, and not complaining with the outcome
Okay, see, I can respect that much.

To me, that is at least just being a loyal fan to your team, and not completely being a hater. Some people are just ridiculous, on both sides of town. Personally, I find myself rooting for both teams, until this time of the season comes around and the Crosstown Classic gets underway, then I root my White Sox and have fun giving my buddies who are Cubs fans a hard time while doing it.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:55 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Okay, see, I can respect that much.

To me, that is at least just being a loyal fan to your team, and not completely being a hater. Some people are just ridiculous, on both sides of town. Personally, I find myself rooting for both teams, until this time of the season comes around and the Crosstown Classic gets underway, then I root my White Sox and have fun giving my buddies who are Cubs fans a hard time while doing it.
To be honest, i hate sox fans more than their team...You don't fit into the majority of sox "fans" that I encounter...Most of them take more joy in hating on the Cubs than rooting on their team...Thats why I hate seeing them have success because I know you will hear "take that scubbies" before I hear "YESSSS Sox wins''...you get what I'm saying?

I live around many more Cardinal fans than Sox fans, but I don't mind them...Sure I want them to lose , but I don't hate the fans or the team because the majority of them genuinely root for the cardinals instead of being cubs haters using the success as leverage in anti-cubs BS
Old 06-17-2009, 04:04 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
To be honest, i hate sox fans more than their team...You don't fit into the majority of sox "fans" that I encounter...Most of them take more joy in hating on the Cubs than rooting on their team...Thats why I hate seeing them have success because I know you will hear "take that scubbies" before I hear "YESSSS Sox wins''...you get what I'm saying?

I live around many more Cardinal fans than Sox fans, but I don't mind them...Sure I want them to lose , but I don't hate the fans or the team because the majority of them genuinely root for the cardinals instead of being cubs haters using the success as leverage in anti-cubs BS
Ahh, see, I keep forgeting that you live further south.

Oh, yeah though, I know what you are saying. A lot of my Sox buddies are just like that, and I always laugh at them. During the crosstown, that's one thing, but actively rooting for the Cubs to lose never made sense to me. I have a few buddies who are Cubs fans that do that to the Sox sometimes too, so it goes both ways.

Two of my friends, one Sox and one Cubs fan, won tickets too the game tonight, and tickets to a game at The Cell. So they went tonight and spent a bunch of money parking and on beer, only to get sent home

They really should have called that game earlier, it has been pouring ALL day, they knew there was not gonna be no baseball.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Ahh, see, I keep forgeting that you live further south.

Oh, yeah though, I know what you are saying. A lot of my Sox buddies are just like that, and I always laugh at them. During the crosstown, that's one thing, but actively rooting for the Cubs to lose never made sense to me. I have a few buddies who are Cubs fans that do that to the Sox sometimes too, so it goes both ways.

Two of my friends, one Sox and one Cubs fan, won tickets too the game tonight, and tickets to a game at The Cell. So they went tonight and spent a bunch of money parking and on beer, only to get sent home

They really should have called that game earlier, it has been pouring ALL day, they knew there was not gonna be no baseball.
it probably does go both ways, but I see it more from the sox side, i mean a cubs fan will say something to a sox fan, but usually they root for the cubs first and foremost...

oh damn, I know how they feel, I had tickets to the cubs cards at wrigley on april 19th, spent the whole weekend in chicago, left for the 7 o clock game at 3, got there, paid 40 bucks for parking, got in the bleachers line, 20 minutes later, game postponed...sucks, but it was a fun weekend, and get to go back and do it again on july 12th, it won't be 35 degrees this time
Old 06-17-2009, 04:17 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
it probably does go both ways, but I see it more from the sox side, i mean a cubs fan will say something to a sox fan, but usually they root for the cubs first and foremost...

oh damn, I know how they feel, I had tickets to the cubs cards at wrigley on april 19th, spent the whole weekend in chicago, left for the 7 o clock game at 3, got there, paid 40 bucks for parking, got in the bleachers line, 20 minutes later, game postponed...sucks, but it was a fun weekend, and get to go back and do it again on july 12th, it won't be 35 degrees this time
It does go both ways, without a doubt. However, in my experience you see it more from the Sox fans outside the city, and on the South Side obviously, than the Cubs fans outside the city. On the North Side though, there are pretty stupid Cubs fans.

Still, I think a lot of it is so much deeper than baseball, it's hard to explain. A lot of it is just the difference in culture and economic classes between the two different sides of town. North Siders are perceived as rich snobs who don't care about the game as much, and South Siders are perceived as ghetto punks. Can't we all just get along!?

Ozzie does play right into it though, and I gotta be honest, Ozzie cracks me up, lol
Old 06-17-2009, 04:25 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
It does go both ways, without a doubt. However, in my experience you see it more from the Sox fans outside the city, and on the South Side obviously, than the Cubs fans outside the city. On the North Side though, there are pretty stupid Cubs fans.

Still, I think a lot of it is so much deeper than baseball, it's hard to explain. A lot of it is just the difference in culture and economic classes between the two different sides of town. North Siders are perceived as rich snobs who don't care about the game as much, and South Siders are perceived as ghetto punks. Can't we all just get along!?

Ozzie does play right into it though, and I gotta be honest, Ozzie cracks me up, lol
for once we agree and basically everything except the last 4 words haha....it really has little to do with baseball...the cultural and economic aspect is massive. and you are right, sox fans are perceived as either ghetto or "white trash"..I can't tell you how often I've heard that, and you are right about how Cub fans are perceived....do i agree with the stereotypes? No, but I doubt they change soon, I wish we could have a more friendly rivalry, similar to the cubs/cards, but until that happens, I'm not going to stop hating the Sox, because I know I will not receive the same respect in return

and Lastly, I hate Ozzie worse than any other white sox fan
Old 06-17-2009, 04:34 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Rivalries are just that, a rivalry. Some are not as intense as others, but anytime you have two teams in one city, there is bound to be a rivalry. So a certain degree of playa hating is acceptable, but there are always idiots who take it over the line. With a city the size and demograpic of Chicago, and the long time history of the two teams, it's just bound to have so many knuckleheads on each side that everybody gets a bad name.

That's how it goes though! GO SOX!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Johnny Danks was spot on today...

4-0, 8th inning, time to close this one out. GO SOX!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Johnny Danks was spot on today...

4-0, 8th inning, time to close this one out. GO SOX!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:54 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Top of the 9th now, Cubs scored on a sac fly in the 8th, 4-1 Sox.