Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 PM
County Mike

If he doesn't make weight, it means GSP gets a cut of his money and only has to fight 3 rounds without worry of losing his belt.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
If he doesn't make weight, it means GSP gets a cut of his money and only has to fight 3 rounds without worry of losing his belt.
Yea but if GSP manages to lose to him it muddies his belt record. We can swear up and down it won't but GSP would still have been beaten by someone while he was champion.

It just makes it ****ty for everyone involved.

Last edited by Crisco; 06-15-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:08 PM

I agree with Amy; I bet he barely makes it. I thought it was in poor taste for him to be begging DW for a title fight after his bout with Matt when he didn't even make weight. And, I didn't believe that excuse about him hurting his ankle either.

Forget this catchweight--if the fighter doesn't make weight, his opponent should automatically get both their fight monies and shouldn't have to fight the dweeb. I know, at least I think, they don't have to take the fight if their opponent is over (lbs), but I feel like the fighter probably feels pressured to accept the catchweight and fight anyway. I don't think a fighter should have to make that choice because it will "help out" the promotion for the fight to go on (which includes furious fans who've already bought their tickets to see certain fights, etc...). I just think it's unfair to the fighter who made weight to allow the other guy to fight when he didn't do what was required.

I know, I know, it's not "realistic" or practical money-wise for the organization, but they're not the ones getting in the cage and possibly taking a "loss" on their record because the other guy had a weight advantage.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Maldonado136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I agree with Amy; I bet he barely makes it. I thought it was in poor taste for him to be begging DW for a title fight after his bout with Matt when he didn't even make weight. And, I didn't believe that excuse about him hurting his ankle either.

Forget this catchweight--if the fighter doesn't make weight, his opponent should automatically get both their fight monies and shouldn't have to fight the dweeb. I know, at least I think, they don't have to take the fight if their opponent is over (lbs), but I feel like the fighter probably feels pressured to accept the catchweight and fight anyway. I don't think a fighter should have to make that choice because it will "help out" the promotion for the fight to go on (which includes furious fans who've already bought their tickets to see certain fights, etc...). I just think it's unfair to the fighter who made weight to allow the other guy to fight when he didn't do what was required.

I know, I know, it's not "realistic" or practical money-wise for the organization, but they're not the ones getting in the cage and possibly taking a "loss" on their record because the other guy had a weight advantage.
i agree with you but unfortunately it wouldnt happen that way. if the fight wasnt a co main event or main event then maybe a fighter would be able to refuse to fight but in the ufc (especially ufc 100) there is no way that a fighter wouldnt take the fight and gsp is not the kind of guy that would not fight like that.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Cutting 50 pounds? C'mon Crisco.
I know for sure he's over 200. I will get a better number when I get home. He's featured in the most recent Fight Magazine and they discuss it. I want to say 210 but can't swear to it. He's very heavy for a WW.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Crisco

Yea it's around 205-210 pounds he walks around at. It was just in FIGHT! magazine I believe.

That is some serious weight cut especially since the kid is shredded.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
I know for sure he's over 200. I will get a better number when I get home. He's featured in the most recent Fight Magazine and they discuss it. I want to say 210 but can't swear to it. He's very heavy for a WW.

~Amy
Maybe I'm wrong, here's an interview from Dana:

http://www.yardbarker.com/mma/articl..._Weight/635339
Quote:
Here is an interview Dana did on a Canadian radio sports show

Dana: let me tell you, I just saw Alves. I'm not kidding you, we did a photo shoot in Vegas and so I was looking at some of the pictures and then we came on a picture of this thing that we did with Alves and GSP...... I though it was Rampage!

Raido Host: “he's that big”

Dana: yeah that's how big he is, he is huge

Raido Host:“he is going to have cut...... he's going to have to cut alot” “

Dana: he is going to have to cut a leg off or something I don't what he is going have to do to get down to GSP's weight.

Radio Host: Laughs

Dana: He is enormous man I couldn't believe how big he was.

Dana: You know this kid gets older and he keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Radio Host: Do you think at some point .....he's pretty young....he is going to have to go up at some point?

Dana: He is going to have to start focusing on cutting that weight now and doing the right thing to get down to weight. because he doesn't want to come into that fight and not make weight then it is not a title fight.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Crisco

I'm telling you this guy will not make weight. Dana will either fire him(he probably won't risk it because Alves is a name and could do things in strikeforce and affliction) or he will force him to move up in weight.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Crisco

and it's not even about getting a cut of his money because Alves makes 50 grand for this fight at most.

GSP will take in closer to 250k-300k for this fight base salary. The extra $5 grand out of Alves' purse isn't going to soothe the pain at missing a title defense.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Nevermind, this was from 1 year ago, but Alves said he walks around 195-200. But, the last interview I posted with Dana seems to indicate he's even bigger now.