Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-15-2009, 08:45 PM
clm12704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Well...Marcus Davis is not Irish, thats the thing that bothers Dan Hardy. He might have an Irish Hereditry, but he comes out in a Kilt, and with an Irish flag, and he is quietly classed as a European/British Fighter...when he is an American.

I didnt realize that Marcus was such a sore loser to rubuff Dan Hardy twice after he lost. It was close, but the third round sealed Davis into defeat without a doubt.

It wont change a thing, because technically speaking, Hardy is right. Taxonomically, Marcus Davis is not European, not even close, whether he has heratage and a nickname or not. Thats just fact...its a common trait amoung americans because their own culture lacks history for them to announce that their Hereditry (which they all have because few are native to the land pre European conquest) is actually their nationality, and its simply not True.

Thats like me claiming to be scottish just because my surname is Duff. Sure, My Grandfather was Scottish, so I have a hereditry in Scot Nobility to be precise, but I would never pass myself off as being a Scot, and I would only wear my Clans Tartan at an important occasion. Infact, to date I have never worn the Kilt...I might do for the first time next year at my Sisters Wedding...but that reflects Family Tradition, not my nationality.

Hardy is right, and he backed it up, and Marcus Davis should have reacted better.
Cain Velasquez is as Mexican as Davis is Irish, yet nobody knocks him for boasting of his Mexican heritage. Cain was born in the states to an immigrant father, yet he has Mexican flag gloves and carries the Mexican flag coming in. Is anybody going to start knocking him for doing the same thing? Maybe they should...
Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm12704
Cain Velasquez is as Mexican as Davis is Irish, yet nobody knocks him for boasting of his Mexican heritage. Cain was born in the states to an immigrant father, yet he has Mexican flag gloves and carries the Mexican flag coming in. Is anybody going to start knocking him for doing the same thing? Maybe they should...
Think very carefully and tell me what Cain Valasquez has, that Marcus Davis does not.

I illustrate my point.

Marcus O'Brian would get away with it...

Also...forgive me for being Technical...but firstly, if Cain was born to an immigrant, that means his Father was not an American Citizen...it means Cain can honnestly say by rights that he wasnt born to an American Family. Secondly, Cain is only one Generation removed from his Heratage...how far back do you have to go with Davis to find an Irish Citizen? Three...Four...most likely...possibly further back then that...is there a living member of his Family who IS Irish? If his Parents are, then I retract the latter.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Think very carefully and tell me what Cain Valasquez has, that Marcus Davis does not.

I illustrate my point.

Also...forgive me for being Technical...but firstly, if Cain was born to an immigrant, that means his Father was not an American Citizen...it means Cain can honnestly say by rights that he wasnt born to an American Family. Secondly, Cain is only one Generation removed from his Heratage...how far back do you have to go with Davis to find an Irish Citizen? Three...Four...most likely...possibly further back then that...is there a living member of his Family who IS Irish? If his Parents are, then I retract the latter.
Davis is a name of French, Welsh, and Irish descent.

Marcus Davis was born in the U.S., but both of his parents came from Waterford, Ireland - he has said this repeated times.

In Davis' case, none of his parents were U.S. Citizens, it means Cain can honestly say rights that he wasn't born to an American family, on either side.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Davis is a name of French, Welsh, and Irish descent.

Marcus Davis was born in the U.S., but both of his parents came from Waterford, Ireland. It's the same thing you're explaining above with Cain, that his parents are immigrants.
Well in that case, its just unfortunate he hasnt got an Irish surname to fall back on....thats really all that saves Valasquez...he sounds like he comes from where he's claiming....Davis could come from practically anywhere...its like Smith, or Jones...

So it turns out They are all American.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 PM
atomdanger

Quote:

I illustrate my point.

Hey now, so I can claim to be Irish? (I do all the time anyway lol)

I have a lot of living family in Ireland and in England.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Well in that case, its just unfortunate he hasnt got an Irish surname to fall back on....thats really all that saves Valasquez...he sounds like he comes from where he's claiming....Davis could come from practically anywhere...its like Smith, or Jones...

I believe 2 or 3 fights ago Davis said his moms maiden name was McKinna,
or something along those lines. I emailed him about it because it sounded like McKinney. But he corrected me.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

So, Valesquez sounds only Mexican? What about Honduras, Belize, El Salvador, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Spain (Europe), the Philippines (Asia), Argentina, Peru, Venezuela, etc.?

At least Davis is known as Welsh, Irish, or French. Go study some Irish genealogy Dave. Trust me, I know some of it, my last name is Fitzgerald

Besides, there are plenty of blacks who've lived in America for 10 generations or more, and they still claim to be African American. So why aren't they being blasted? Let's get Jesse Jackson on the phone!

Let's see, my family came here in the 1850s and I'm 1/8 Sioux Indian, so that makes me Irish Native American. I'm going to start living in a teepee and eating lucky charms.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
let's hope this trend continues and we have guys call out Mexican fighters, who aren't really Mexican.
difference is the mexican culture is still very prevelant in the us, too much in some peoples eyes.... Irish culture not so much lol...
Old 06-16-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44
difference is the mexican culture is still very prevelant in the us, too much in some peoples eyes.... Irish culture not so much lol...
Yeah, they already had their prejudice in the early 1900s, that's over. Time to move onto the Mexicans. After they take over, time for whites to be persecuted
Old 06-16-2009, 11:56 PM

It wouldnt matter if it were only his grandparents who were Irish.

Boston has huge Irish-American culture, nothing wrong with him loving and feeling affiliated with Ireland

Yeah he aint as Irish as an Irishman (award of most obvious statement ) but i don't see any issue with it.