Quote:
Originally Posted by que
samwise gamgee approves of potatoes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr_01rYKQLg
Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
can anyone tell me. Are potatoes more likely to make you fat then Rice...and where does Pasta fit into all of this?

I know that Bread, and Rice, and Pasta, and Potatoes are all carbohydrates...but which is the best one? I know that Bread is not one that I can eat without putting on weight. I havent tried pasta because I'm never really into that. Rice is nice...but what about potatoes...?
FYI, gaining or losing fat is all about calories in vs. calories out. Honestly, it wouldn't matter if you ate pure sugar vs. broccoli. However, nutrition & longevity is largely in favor of broccoli. A potato has a little better nutritional profile than white rice, but brown rice has a better nutritional profile than potatoes. If you want further explanation, let me know. Personally, my I love jasmine white rice from Thailand, my wife is Filipino, so we eat rice fairly regularly; it's a choice carb for me
Old 06-19-2009, 01:08 PM

I forgot to mention sweet potatoes. As for new or the little red potatotes, my gastrointestinal doctor gave me a a list to follow as for what foods to eat which is a low-carb list of foods that don't break down into sugar as easily and digest more slowly. He said the new or little red potatoes didn't have the starch content (which breaks down into sugar) that the white potatoes have. I'll double check this with them and also do some research on my own. I know someone on here mentioned they go by the 40-30-30 diet; I got the book from this doctor (you can get it at a bookstore or online too).

Btw, Dave, if you are putting on weight by eating the little red potatoes, you are either eating too much of them or putting stuff (butter, margarine) high in calories/fat on them. I suggested olive oil to you (lightly drizzled). It is a better oil, like canola oil, than vegetable oil. But as with any oils or food for that matter, moderation is the key. Stay away from things that have partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oil in them--not good for you. If you like peanut butter, use the natural peanut butter(s).

My doc also suggested that if you have rice, pasta or potatoes or bread one day, skip having any the next day.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:56 PM
mikthehick

Yeah Dave, I agree with Bonnie there, it's also about portion control. Also, drink that water like we said in an earlier thread.

I'll be honest, I haven't worked out in a week (I went on Wednesday, but the instructor didn't show). But even though, I haven't gone 'hog wild' on the food either. So in essence, I won't gain weight, but may lose muscle tone.

I'll be ready to hit up both gyms on Monday after beach weekend!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I suggested olive oil to you (lightly drizzled). It is a better oil, like canola oil, than vegetable oil.
Just to let you know, canola oil is hardly a healthy alternative to vegetable oil, it is a highly processed, genetically modified oil. Canola oil literally means "Canada oil, low acid" and was initially used as an industrial lubricant, not meant for human consumption. Canola oil comes from the rapeseed plant which was changed to "canola" simply because "rape" is a derogatory word. More than 80% of today's rapeseed comes from genetically modified seeds.

The best alternatives for healthy oils are:

Olive
Extra Virgin Olive
Sesame
Sunflower

Just some food for thought
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM
mikthehick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Just to let you know, canola oil is hardly a healthy alternative to vegetable oil, it is a highly processed, genetically modified oil. Canola oil literally means "Canada oil, low acid" and was initially used as an industrial lubricant, not meant for human consumption. Canola oil comes from the rapeseed plant which was changed to "canola" simply because "rape" is a derogatory word. More than 80% of today's rapeseed comes from genetically modified seeds.

Olive
Extra Virgin Olive
Sesame
Sunflower

This is a great post, seriously I bought some EVOO a couple months ago and actually cooked some chicken in it last night. This is ridiculous because I haven't cooked in probably over a month, no joke.

The chicken tasted great, especially since the EVOO has a distinct flavor about it.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
FYI, gaining or losing fat is all about calories in vs. calories out. Honestly, it wouldn't matter if you ate pure sugar vs. broccoli. However, nutrition & longevity is largely in favor of broccoli. A potato has a little better nutritional profile than white rice, but brown rice has a better nutritional profile than potatoes. If you want further explanation, let me know. Personally, my I love jasmine white rice from Thailand, my wife is Filipino, so we eat rice fairly regularly; it's a choice carb for me
Ewww I hate the smell of Jasmine rice!! Only you would love that nasty smell!!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick
This is a great post, seriously I bought some EVOO a couple months ago and actually cooked some chicken in it last night. This is ridiculous because I haven't cooked in probably over a month, no joke.

The chicken tasted great, especially since the EVOO has a distinct flavor about it.
Yeah, I tend to use olive oil with Italian foods, sunflower with American foods, and sesame (or sesame chili) oil with Cajun and Asian foods. Good flavoring
Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
Ewww I hate the smell of Jasmine rice!! Only you would love that nasty smell!!
Racist!
Old 06-20-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:

Olive
Extra Virgin Olive
Sesame
Sunflower

Okay, Rockdawg, let's get it on, baby. I can "Google" too, ya know. And, I'm going to disagree with you about Canola oil not being better/healthier for you than vegetable oil. I read about rapeseed oil and it's uses in lamps and as a lubricant in steam engines for ships during WWII. What they produce today from rapeseed to make Canola oil is considered safe for human consumption. The seeds are used to produce edible oil fit for human consumption because it has lower levels of erucic acid than traditional rapeseed oils. Hence, the name "canola" from "Canadian oil, low acid".

Both Canola Oil and Olive Oil have very low saturated fat and high monounsaturated fat content(s). That's why they are better for you than vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated/trans fat).

Vegetable oil is "partially hydrogenated" oil that contains trans fat. Trans fat is made in a chemical process called "partial hydrogenation", designed to increase the shelf life and flavor stability of foods. During this process, hydrogen is added to vegetable oils resulting in the reconfiguration of fat molecules to create trans fat. Trans fat is typically present in products w/ingredient lists that include partially hydrogenated oils. If you see ingredients referred to as "partially hydrogenated" or "shortening", you've got trans fat.

Avoid: partially hydrogenated oils (vegetable), hydrogenated oils (solids/shortening), palm kernal oil and coconut oil.

As for potatoes, I read where potatoes are a real good source of vitamins as well as fiber as long as you eat them plain without all the butter, sour cream, cheese, etc...

Russet/Idaho potato - high starch content

Round Red aka "new" - low starch content, high in fiber eaten with skins on

Look in your pantry and see how many products say "partially hydrogenated" on the label. You'll be surprised (not in a good way ).

*NOTE: Info gathered (some word for word) from Wikipedia and another source I "Googled".

Last edited by Bonnie; 06-20-2009 at 04:44 AM.