Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 06-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default potatoes

can anyone tell me. Are potatoes more likely to make you fat then Rice...and where does Pasta fit into all of this?

I know that Bread, and Rice, and Pasta, and Potatoes are all carbohydrates...but which is the best one? I know that Bread is not one that I can eat without putting on weight. I havent tried pasta because I'm never really into that. Rice is nice...but what about potatoes...?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:52 PM

Try to eat the red potatoes--they're called "new potatoes"; they are supposed to be better for you than Idaho or spuds. They have less starch in them, I believe.

As for rice and bread stick to brown rice and high-fiber breads. They have lots of variety out there these days. Just read the labels to see calories, carbs and fiber content. You can buy pasta now that has less carbs too and that come in wheat also if you ever want to try that.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Nope, you eat sweet potatoes (aka "yams"). They're the best tasting & the best for you.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:09 AM
surveyorshawn

I agree with Ben. I am hypoglycemic and have to avoid things that rapidly turn to sugar in your body (which incidentally contribute to gaining fat). Sweet potatoes are the only kind I can eat. They are not sweet from sugar, but from a chemical reaction. Other types of potatoes and rice, pasta (basically white stuff) are the equivalent of eating the same amount of table sugar. New potatoes are the same thing as Idaho potatoes, etc, and are merely the first fruit of the potato plant for the season (we have raised them for 4 generations). Incidentally, I switched my diet to the diabetic diet in February, and with no cardio exercise other than my jiu-jitsu, I went from 250 lbs to 207 lbs in 4 months.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:29 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn
I agree with Ben.
I knew I liked you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn
I am hypoglycemic and have to avoid things that rapidly turn to sugar in your body (which incidentally contribute to gaining fat). Sweet potatoes are the only kind I can eat. They are not sweet from sugar, but from a chemical reaction. Other types of potatoes and rice, pasta (basically white stuff) are the equivalent of eating the same amount of table sugar. New potatoes are the same thing as Idaho potatoes, etc, and are merely the first fruit of the potato plant for the season (we have raised them for 4 generations). Incidentally, I switched my diet to the diabetic diet in February, and with no cardio exercise other than my jiu-jitsu, I went from 250 lbs to 207 lbs in 4 months.
Man, that is fantastic!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Nope, you eat sweet potatoes (aka "yams"). They're the best tasting & the best for you.
Firstly, a Yam is not the same thing as a Sweet Potatoe. Before you tell me otherwise, be awere in the US they often miss lable the Sweet pototo as a yam. The two things look slightly similar, but they arent related. The Sweet potato is a patato, and thus not actually that big. A Yam is a vine tuber and can be like as long as your arm.

Secondly...I've never ever tried either of them.

We dont stock Yams anymore, they dont look appetizing neither, they look and feel like chunks of wood We do however stock sweet potatoes, they are like grossly ellongated potaotes that are a funny redish orange colour.

I knew the baby potatoes were getting me into trouble. I held weight this week, but I have a feeling, they are the main reason why
Old 06-15-2009, 01:45 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Firstly, a Yam is not the same thing as a Sweet Potatoe. Before you tell me otherwise, be awere in the US they often miss lable the Sweet pototo as a yam.
Well, it doesn't really matter, then, because regardless of what they should be labeled, if the US calls 'em "yams", then they're yams, dern it!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Well, it doesn't really matter, then, because regardless of what they should be labeled, if the US calls 'em "yams", then they're yams, dern it!!!
it matters because Sweet potatoes are good for you...not sure Yams are. I know you can eat raw SP...but I know if you did that with a Yam you would get sick.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 AM
mscomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
can anyone tell me. Are potatoes more likely to make you fat then Rice...and where does Pasta fit into all of this?

I know that Bread, and Rice, and Pasta, and Potatoes are all carbohydrates...but which is the best one? I know that Bread is not one that I can eat without putting on weight. I havent tried pasta because I'm never really into that. Rice is nice...but what about potatoes...?

Hey dave:

Carbs arent always a bad thing, as im sure we all know you need "x" amount of them to survive and maintain metabolism. One thing to always look for on the caloric content of what you are eating (if its available) is to check what the carbohydrate (all types of sugar compounds) content is, and from that, to check how much of the carb content is simple sugar (glucose). The closer the "sugar" number is to the total carb number, the worse that product is.

You mentioned that breads are giving you a hard time. I eat a brand of bread called dempsters (do you have the brand in england) and basically I eat their whole grain bread....its the healthy bread. No doubt, the taste isnt as good as some white breads, but get this.... The carbs in one slice are aboput 20 grams, but the sugar content is only 1 gram. So by consuming this, the bread will for the most part be digested slowly and it wont spike your blood sugar. I eat a few slices of this a day and it helped me loose a lot weight when I was frist starting slimming down some years ago.

Potatoes usually have a high sugar content, and usually its the way they are prepared that makes them really unhealthy. Such as, "pan fries", or mashed potatoes..... also adding additional fat.

I would say, that if you are looking for a car substitue, go to whole grains and brans..they have a low sugar (glucose) content and are usually very high in fiber, which can help stabilize your blood sugar, and aid the weight loss process.

Hope that helps a little.

take care, Malcom
Old 06-15-2009, 03:07 AM
que

samwise gamgee approves of potatoes