Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 AM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
Yeah sure he looked great against a novice Ben Saunders.

But as Swick tried and struggled with Louiseau and then got beat by Okami and his route was blocked.

At Welterweight he stands more of a chance but i see Hughes, Alves, GSP, BJ Penn, Koscheck as people who would stuff his rise to the top.
He won 5 straight before losing to Okami and his win Sat puts him now 4 Ws in a row since losing to Okami, yeah and his record is what, 13-2? To say the Swick that fought Sat is somehow the same Swick that lost against Okami (IN 2007!!!!) is not only monumentally inaccurate, but quite comical. Swick is a contender, a fact he has proven and will continue to prove.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner
He won 5 straight before losing to Okami and his win Sat puts him now 4 Ws in a row since losing to Okami, yeah and his record is what, 13-2? To say the Swick that fought Sat is somehow the same Swick that lost against Okami (IN 2007!!!!) is not only monumentally inaccurate, but quite comical. Swick is a contender, a fact he has proven and will continue to prove.
No

He fights someone of the ilk and level of Josh Koscheck or Thiago Alves.

THEN he will be a contender.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
David_Banner

Quote:
What free ride! Congo has fought and fought people and got good runs only to lose as he gets in knocking distance of the title. He took the fight long distance, usually provides an exciting fight.

Congo is the man annd i hope he gets another chance.

Hey man, your a fan, I respect that, but to me, Congo is a dirty punk. Thats just my opinion. EVER fight since the CC fight he used knees to the groin to rattle his opponents and squeeze out wins as a result. He lost to Herring, a decent fighter to HW UFC standards and got killed by Cain. Congo has zero ground game, frankly, even after being exposed by Herring, 4 fights later has seen 0% improvement in that area. He has no hope against the big names in the HW,none.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:56 PM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
No

He's a contender now. Because he hasnt been given a shot against Josh and or Thiago has nothing to do with his abilities. Swick can hold his own against anybody,IMO.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
No

Well firstly he won't be fighting Koschek as they are teammates and Thiago is booked (hopefully) for his next two fights (GSP then Hughes).

Swick's record reflect losses to two guys that were big for MW's. Mike is naturally better at 170 and I think he'll do well. Do I thinkhe could beat Hughes? NO WAY. but i think he can compete in the top five. Mainly because two of the tougher guys he will never fight (kos and fitch)

[
Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
He's a contender now. Because he hasnt been given a shot against Josh and or Thiago has nothing to do with his abilities. Swick can hold his own against anybody,IMO.
No.

Until he fights a top tier WW he is not a Contender. Ben Saunders is not a Top Tier Welterweight. Now if he cant fight John Fitch or Josh Koscheck, thats rather upsetting. He should fight Thiago Alves...he cant go from lower tiers to a title shot in a division like the WW. I hate to say it, but there comes a point in time, where if you go into a division as a team mate you must be prepared to fight. If you cant, then you shouldnt be in the same division.

Or you should be prepared to wait your turn for the title...in which case, both John Fitch and Josh Koscheck stand ahead in the que
Old 06-15-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:

He aint proved it yet though as he?

Yes he is good but im saying that yeah perhaps he is top ten, but the Top 5, just like middleweight Swick will be found floundering. Nothing comical about that.

Lets see where it ends, your already putting him somewhere he hasn't reached yet. I find that comical.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Hey man, your a fan, I respect that, but to me, Congo is a dirty punk. Thats just my opinion. EVER fight since the CC fight he used knees to the groin to rattle his opponents and squeeze out wins as a result. He lost to Herring, a decent fighter to HW UFC standards and got killed by Cain. Congo has zero ground game, frankly, even after being exposed by Herring, 4 fights later has seen 0% improvement in that area. He has no hope against the big names in the HW,none.
Obviously he can't hang with the best as Cain showed his fatal floor. I think standing Congo can take any man out and he must of been close to KO Cain, they were huge and well timed shots but credit to Cain.

I really think if Congo got the basics on the ground right then he could steam the division.

What i dont get is the vehmenent hate against him. I don't think he is a cheater and i respect him as a fighter and how he fights. Thats all for me.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Crisco

Quote:
He aint proved it yet though as he?

Yes he is good but im saying that yeah perhaps he is top ten, but the Top 5, just like middleweight Swick will be found floundering. Nothing comical about that.

Lets see where it ends, your already putting him somewhere he hasn't reached yet. I find that comical.
I put Swick in the top 15. Definately not top 10 yet I don't think.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Josh

Quote:
thats a little harsh...there is no need to be so rude. Yes he sometimes accidently...and I reckon possibly unaccidently, produces low blows...but he's usually provoked

He's not Greasy P now is he
You reckon? He admits that he cheated. You just have a hard time criticizing someone you like.