Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM
warriorlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
So when Jesus said this: Matt. 24:37-38: But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be". ....He didn't mean the part about the violence and stuff...

I know the sportsmanship thing can be positive...BUT, look at the wrath that led up to that fight...the hating on Serra's end (I exclude Matt from any wrongdoing). More importantly its less about the fighters and more about the minds their sport influences.
and yet Matt willing stepped inside the octagon a laid a beating on Serra, which from your original question wold suggest you see as wrong, as its violence and its 'wrath'

you cant have it both ways, either its sport in which its competition, and violence is inherent in most sports, take American Football, the aim of the defense is to flatten the QB as fast and as Hard as possible, hockey - where sticks are thrown down and fists fly that are not at all a part of the game, and what is part of the game is slamming your opponent into the perspex wall to get the puck.

or its wrong, you cant chose to call Matt Serra out of the hye of the fight, and lay claim that Matt Hughes is clear of wrongdoing, in that they both stepped into the octagon to FIGHT.

Now if you view is taht MMA is wrong then you have to lay the playing field level.

I dont agree with the smack talk to build a fight, I dot buy into that side of MMA at all, but the competition side, I see nothing wrong with it.

And to look at the bible, and its view wrestling is violent, yet the Lord wrestles with Jacob, cause him to limp for the rest of his life, its also says the scripture in my tagline, Psalm 144.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Dethbob

So far I have not heard anyone make a *Biblical* case against MMA. Sport fighting existed during the times of Moses, the Prophets, Jesus, and the Apostles, and if it was as evil as some suggest I imagine at least one of them would have said something. The only mention I can find is in 2 Timothy 4 and 1 Corinthians 9, wherein Paul uses boxing as a metaphor for something good, not something bad.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorlion View Post
and yet Matt willing stepped inside the octagon a laid a beating on Serra, which from your original question wold suggest you see as wrong, as its violence and its 'wrath'
It was a combination of both yes. Matt wanted to beat Serra for his insults (can't say I could blame him). If its violence done out of anger, then it is the very defintion of WRATH.

Quote:
you cant have it both ways, either its sport in which its competition, and violence is inherent in most sports, take American Football, the aim of the defense is to flatten the QB as fast and as Hard as possible, hockey - where sticks are thrown down and fists fly that are not at all a part of the game, and what is part of the game is slamming your opponent into the perspex wall to get the puck.
Not really. Football is a team sport. And MMA is not - not once the cage door comes shut. I digress however, and will not include it all as wrath - only those that go beyond the sportsmanship.

Quote:
Now if you view is taht MMA is wrong then you have to lay the playing field level.
Did I ever say it was wrong?

Quote:
And to look at the bible, and its view wrestling is violent, yet the Lord wrestles with Jacob, cause him to limp for the rest of his life, its also says the scripture in my tagline, Psalm 144.
Yea...that wasn't wrath. That was symbolism. God was saying to Jacob that he would be a thorn in his side all his days. Him being Israel, of course

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 01-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethbob View Post
So far I have not heard anyone make a *Biblical* case against MMA. Sport fighting existed during the times of Moses, the Prophets, Jesus, and the Apostles, and if it was as evil as some suggest I imagine at least one of them would have said something. The only mention I can find is in 2 Timothy 4 and 1 Corinthians 9, wherein Paul uses boxing as a metaphor for something good, not something bad.
No one is calling MMA wrong, just a sign of the end times

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Dethbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
No one is calling MMA wrong, just a sign of the end times
Well, YEAH, why do you think Im a fan? ;)