Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion
hmmm, for once NateR I may disagree...didn't Jesus say that in the last days the world would be filled with violence, as in the days of Noah?

I know mma and WARfare or self-defence aren't the same, but does mma influence violent tendencies or behaviours? Isn't the octagon itself supposed to glorify violence and bloodshed as once did the Collesium of Rome? The opening scene of UFC shows depicts a gladiator as if to suggest these fighters are the same...fighting to appease the bloodlust of the crowd...

explain.
I'm not sure what exactly it is you are asking. Are you asking if MMA makes people violent? My answer to that would be a very strong NO. MMA isn't popular because people are influenced by the violence. MMA is popular because people are violent. It's just human nature.

However, MMA provides a controlled release for the violent tendencies that we all have.

Also you can't condemn the fighters for the UFC's marketing campaigns. This is a far cry from the gladiatorial combat of ancient Rome. Nobody is intentionally trying to kill anyone, the fighters enter the cage of their own free will, and there aren't convicted criminals being torn apart by wild animals. There is really no comparison.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
MMA isn't popular because people are influenced by the violence. MMA is popular because people are violent. It's just human nature. Sure...but...violence comes from wrath, and wrath is wicked...

However, MMA provides a controlled release for the violent tendencies that we all have.

Like therapy...hmm that sounds like a good excuse to permit bloodsport

Nobody is intentionally trying to kill anyone, the fighters enter the cage of their own free will, and there aren't convicted criminals being torn apart by wild animals. There is really no comparison. I'm not saying they are exactly alike, but they essentially entertain the crowd by the same means, i.e. one on one combat...the bloodier the better (for some fans).
I know there are those who appreciate the fine skill it takes to tap an opponent via a submission however...

I guess what I'm asking is it how does mma not fall into the "days of Noah" category?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
1. Sure...but...violence comes from wrath, and wrath is wicked...

2. Like therapy...hmm that sounds like a good excuse to permit bloodsport

3. I guess what I'm asking is it how does mma not fall into the "days of Noah" category?
1. GOD is violent and shows wrath, is GOD wicked?

2. People are inherently evil and violent, better to teach them to control that violence than to let it control them.

3. Maybe it does; but then again so do a lot of things. To include every other sport and any form of recreation and entertainment.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
1. GOD is violent and shows wrath, is GOD wicked?
God can do what God wants. He judges us, not the reverse.

2. People are inherently evil and violent, better to teach them to control that violence than to let it control them.
True. Mma can be a healthy outlet, but it breeds violence, so is it really?

3. Maybe it does; but then again so do a lot of things. To include every other sport and any form of recreation and entertainment. mma is far more violent than hockey, or fishing. Point is like anything violent outside of war/self-defense it is wicked, as in the days of Noah, am I false?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
1. God can do what God wants. He judges us, not the reverse.

2. True. Mma can be a healthy outlet, but it breeds violence, so is it really?

3. mma is far more violent than hockey, or fishing. Point is like anything violent outside of war/self-defense it is wicked, as in the days of Noah, am I false?
I wish you would stop typing inside the quotes, it makes it much more difficult to reply to you. Anyways...

1. I'm not judging GOD, I'm just making the point that hate, violence and wrath are traits that GOD shows throughout the Bible. So there is NOTHING inherently evil about any of those things. In fact, the fact that GOD exhibits these traits makes them holy, not wicked.

2. I don't believe that it does breed violence. In fact, I've seen more fights break out at baseball and high school football games than all of the MMA events I've been to combined.

3. So, hockey, fishing and MMA? May I ask which one of those sports involves the taking of life?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:42 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

My opinion is that MMA is violent, but so are other sports. There is still an overlying sense of respect and controls in place to minimize the amount of serious injuries in ALL pro sports. Thats the difference. Of course people are competitive, and people can get hurt, but for the most part people are not TRYING to hurt others out of malice, and nobody WANTS to see somebody get seriously injured or crippled for life...

Of course, in the fight game, emotions do come into play, and you ARE trying to hurt your opponent out of anger sometimes, but even then, fighters on the highest levels still realize the importance of respecting each other as competitors. Heck, look at how Matt and Serra showed respect for each other after it was all said and done. All in all, I don't see MMA as being a sign of the apocalypse.

However, I will say that I think Hockey is more violent than MMA when you really look at it, and I could site a lot of examples to back up that opinion.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:37 AM
Hughes fanboy

Sorry Nate, didn't know it was buggin' on you.

1. so violence and wrath for sport is holy? God's wrath is holy and was/is seen when its right...ours could be seen that way too, at times of war...but I fail to see how an mma bout is somehow attributable to holy wrath, or war.

2. It's not about fights breaking out at an event, its the desensitation to violence that is concerning...violence breeds out of ignorance too.

3. violence doesn't have to involve taking a life...

Now you said Christianity and mma are compatible.

how ?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 AM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
in the fight game, emotions do come into play, and you ARE trying to hurt your opponent out of anger sometimes, but even then, fighters on the highest levels still realize the importance of respecting each other as competitors. Heck, look at how Matt and Serra showed respect for each other after it was all said and done. All in all, I don't see MMA as being a sign of the apocalypse.
So when Jesus said this: Matt. 24:37-38: “But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be". ....He didn't mean the part about the violence and stuff...

I know the sportsmanship thing can be positive...BUT, look at the wrath that led up to that fight...the hating on Serra's end (I exclude Matt from any wrongdoing). More importantly its less about the fighters and more about the minds their sport influences.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:51 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
So when Jesus said this: Matt. 24:37-38: “But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be". ....He didn't mean the part about the violence and stuff...

I know the sportsmanship thing can be positive...BUT, look at the wrath that led up to that fight...the hating on Serra's end (I exclude Matt from any wrongdoing). More importantly its less about the fighters and more about the minds their sport influences.
Well, lets be honest here. Fighting as a sport has been going on for centuries. You are using a part of the scripture that could easily be compared to countless other eras in our world's history. More importantly the Lord also says that NOBODY will know when the end will come. So speculating on it has always seemed pointless to me.

I agree that the hype machine can get out of hand, and sometimes some fighters take things to far. However Serra's beef was so transparent it was pretty much made out of plastic wrap. Serra may genuinely not like Matt, but once he realized that the potential for the fight was there, he just kept talking the same stupid crap so that he could stay relevant.

I actually believe that martial arts, and the competition of the sport, contributes more GOOD to kids than the small amount of negativity produced by the hype machine. Could it be cleaned up a bit in that respect? Sure it could. On the whole though, I don't think it is something that is having a widespread negative effect on children. There are little things in every sport that could be cleaned up, but the idea that somehow they are bad for kids is just silly in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Crisco

Quote:

I agree with what JB said.

I feel your views on MMA while somewhat valid are still false.

With your way of thinking any form of sports could be considered wrong. Competitive behavior spawns certain feelings inside of people feelings that manifest themselves in the form of athletic competition.

When I don't get to train I feel restless. All the stress of everyday can be quite overwhelming without a physical outlet.

I will say that I believe God and MMA are both mutually exclusive but they can surely get along.

The point could be argued all day long and honestly if you feel God would be against MMA and athletic competition why do you watch?