Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 06-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

I'm halfway through the book now. I read it in every spare moment. Luttrell tells his story and educates you at the same time. I don't want to hear what politicians and committees say about the war and terrorism, I want to hear what the guys who have been there have to say. Luttrell has been there, he knows the history, he knows the reasons for it and against it. I dare others to read this book and keep an open mind and see what a real hero looks like. No, Luttrell would never label himself as a hero. He wanted this story told as a tribute to the others, not to gain personal glory. He and the men who lost their lives there are heroes to me though....just like my dad and his fellow Vietnam Vets are heroes.

I really wish I'd read it before Vegas. Then I could have bought him a beer, shook his hand, or just simply said "thanks"......Gosh it brings tears to my eyes when a stranger stops my dad on the street after seeing his purple heart cap to shake his hand and tell him thanks for serving. Dad's still 'with it' enough on his good days to reply and talk about his experiences there if asked.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 06-13-2009, 06:40 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
I'm halfway through the book now. I read it in every spare moment. Luttrell tells his story and educates you at the same time. I don't want to hear what politicians and committees say about the war and terrorism, I want to hear what the guys who have been there have to say. Luttrell has been there, he knows the history, he knows the reasons for it and against it. I dare others to read this book and keep an open mind and see what a real hero looks like. No, Luttrell would never label himself as a hero. He wanted this story told as a tribute to the others, not to gain personal glory. He and the men who lost their lives there are heroes to me though....just like my dad and his fellow Vietnam Vets are heroes.

I really wish I'd read it before Vegas. Then I could have bought him a beer, shook his hand, or just simply said "thanks"......Gosh it brings tears to my eyes when a stranger stops my dad on the street after seeing his purple heart cap to shake his hand and tell him thanks for serving. Dad's still 'with it' enough on his good days to reply and talk about his experiences there if asked.

~Amy
Me thinks I need to read this as well. Perhaps I can arrange a book-swap with you (once you're done, of course): Lone Survivor for Blood in the Cage?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Me thinks I need to read this as well. Perhaps I can arrange a book-swap with you (once you're done, of course): Lone Survivor for Blood in the Cage?

Sounds like a plan. You will enjoy this book. Just promise you won't go off and join the Navy trying to become a SEAL afterwards...mmmmKay? Your mama would kick my butt!

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 06-13-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
It's worth buying plus the proceeds go to the families of the fallen heros.

[
Old 06-13-2009, 07:22 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Sounds like a plan. You will enjoy this book. Just promise you won't go off and join the Navy trying to become a SEAL afterwards...mmmmKay? Your mama would kick my butt!

~Amy
Yeah, she almost had a heart-attack when I told her I was applying to be a Sheriff's Deputy here in our county, and I'm honestly the closest thing to a "criminal element" we have (other than kids smoking in school bathrooms).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
It's worth buying plus the proceeds go to the families of the fallen heros.
I don't doubt it in the slightest. Unfortunately, I have no $$$.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, she almost had a heart-attack when I told her I was applying to be a Sheriff's Deputy here in our county, and I'm honestly the closest thing to a "criminal element" we have (other than kids smoking in school bathrooms).I don't doubt it in the slightest. Unfortunately, I have no $$$.
Send me your address. It will be a graduation gift

[
Old 06-13-2009, 08:07 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

I appreciate that, man!

Amy, I guess instead of Lone Survivor, I want the Fedor book!

EDIT: 2,700th post!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I appreciate that, man!

Amy, I guess instead of Lone Survivor, I want the Fedor book!

EDIT: 2,700th post!

SOMEBODY still has my copy. If it doesn't find its way back to my place soon I am going to drive over there and kick him right in the knee. Then I'll stomp on his foot. And last I will punch him in the gut. Too bad he probably isn't going to read this particular post......

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 06-14-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
SOMEBODY still has my copy. If it doesn't find its way back to my place soon I am going to drive over there and kick him right in the knee. Then I'll stomp on his foot. And last I will punch him in the gut. Too bad he probably isn't going to read this particular post......

~Amy

[
Old 06-15-2009, 09:37 PM
TENNESSEAN

This book was great. Well written not at all for the faint of heart

We are a nation of the spoiled. This book should give us all strength and promise. What Marcus and these men go threw every day should make us all suck it up and appreciate the lives we lead no matter what personal struggles we have.

Guilt. I have guilt knowing these men are out there fighting for me and my family. They are putting everything on the line for me and you.

I think god for these men every night. When I tuck my girls into bed. I am able to do that because these men fight everyday away from their children. So I can be with mine.

To all the ones serving or have served our nation thank you. To all their families holding down the fort while their away an equal thank you.

God speed.

Last edited by TENNESSEAN; 06-15-2009 at 11:09 PM.