Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 06-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Default BOOK: "The Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell

*I decided to give this books it's own thread. It's really THAT good!

Well I just finished the book I bought less than a week ago. For those of you who do not remember, Marcus was in Matt's corner for the Serra fight. I wish I'd read (or even knew about) this book beforehand because I would have taken the opportunity to shake this amazing soldier's hand. I don't know that I could truly describe how powerful hsi story is but lets just say it single handedly changed my thoughts on a lot of issues surrounding the war in Afghanistan. I actually feel ashamed for having an opinion of how the war should be fought when I haven't paid my dues in the military. How can I begin to inderstand what they go through. Well, PO 1st Class Marcus Luttrell gives us a pretty close look at how they perform in the most unthinkable, unimaginable circumstances.

Plain and Simple:Go out and get this book. It is an amazing account of one of the deadliest days in SEAL history told by the lone survivor of The Battle of Murphy's Ridge. It's a story of survival and Lutrell's miraculous journey back home. Marcus is a proud Texan and an unapologetic patriot of our country. He's also one bad dude when the bullets start flying, but he'd be the last one to take any credit for his heroism. His humble and self deprecating manner gives this book a lot of humorous moments and the narrative feels as though you're sitting on Marcus' ranch, listening to him tell ya the story personally.

I typically take a while to read books. I'll read in 20 minute spurts traveling to and from work on the train, and usually a half an hour or so before bedtime. There were serveral nights that I finally put the book down and realized that I had been reading for 2 hours straight. I imagine some day they'll make a film about this (ala Black Hawk Down), but I honestly cannot see how they'd do it justice, without us all having to go through psychological treatment after watching. I also don't see how they could find actors that could honestly portray the sort of heroism that Marcus writes about. Marcus made a promise to his fallen comrades and to God to tell their story, it's our duty to listen.

[
Old 06-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Stump Rules!

Are you sure this isn't a great book just because he was in Matt's corner? Kinda like A Fighters Heart was a good book cause Matt was mentioned but it really wasn't?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
Are you sure this isn't a great book just because he was in Matt's corner? Kinda like A Fighters Heart was a good book cause Matt was mentioned but it really wasn't?
A fighter's heart was awesome what are you talking about, sir?

[
Old 06-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Stump Rules!

I hate everybody here

There were a few really good parts,some ok parts, but too many boring parts. I only finished it because I always HAVE to finish a book even if I don't like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
A fighter's heart was awesome what are you talking about, sir?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 PM
TENNESSEAN

i dont take a train does it come in audio book. i have been wanting to read it for over a year but who has time to read. i dont
Old 06-09-2009, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

A Fighter's Heart was pretty good except for the boxing part. That part was boring to me.

I meant to go to the store and get this one today but I didn't make it out of the apartment after getting back from the pool. It's on my to-do list for tomorrow.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 06-09-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
A Fighter's Heart was pretty good except for the boxing part. That part was boring to me.

I meant to go to the store and get this one today but I didn't make it out of the apartment after getting back from the pool. It's on my to-do list for tomorrow.

~Amy

[
Old 06-09-2009, 04:02 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
I hate everybody here

There were a few really good parts,some ok parts, but too many boring parts. I only finished it because I always HAVE to finish a book even if I don't like it
Don't lie. How many times have you went back and read over the colon cleansing parts?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

So I bought the book today. So far it's a great read. Evidently he lives not far from where I used to live in TX. Makes me miss it.

Mark, I should finish it in a couple of days. Then we can start a real discussion on it. So far I'm on chapter 3 where he sets off for boot camp.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 06-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
So I bought the book today. So far it's a great read. Evidently he lives not far from where I used to live in TX. Makes me miss it.

Mark, I should finish it in a couple of days. Then we can start a real discussion on it. So far I'm on chapter 3 where he sets off for boot camp.

~Amy
Oh man! hold on to your hats because I'll never complain about a conditioning class being exhausting ever again
I think I figured out that when he says "some guy that will remain anonymous", he means himself

[