Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Default Cruise Beaten by Vampires, Slumdogs

I don't know why.. but this caught my eye.. and there is a phrase that I found EXTREMELY funny...

In Germany, where "Valkyrie" should have had a strong pulse, the movie was beaten in its debut by "Twilight." To add insult to injury, "Twilight" was in its second week. So Germans still preferred to teen vampires to seeing Tom Cruise unsuccessfully attempt to kill Adolf Hitler. Thatís not good.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,485588,00.html
Old 02-01-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

That's really no surprise that Germans didn't respond positive to the movie. The German Government was not going to permit Cruise to shoot the movie because he is a Scientologist:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...ie-fight_N.htm
Old 02-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
That's really no surprise that Germans didn't respond positive to the movie. The German Government was not going to permit Cruise to shoot the movie because he is a Scientologist:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...ie-fight_N.htm
Coz being a Scientologist is worse then being a Nazi

What you guys dont seem to understand is that in Germany they are still VERY cautious of Nationalism. Why would they get excited about seeing a group of Americans enact a failed Coup in an Administration which they would rather forget?? Its like asking whether Japan would go crazy over a film about the Atomic Bombing of two of their major cities....Its just upsetting to a lot of them...for a German, watching the film probably feels like a Student who has to read Meine Kampf for school or something...its dirty just to watch or read...

The Germans that didnt respond to him well, were the offspring of Colonel Claus Von Stauffenburg...and they were commenting on his forceful portrayal of one of their family members

I saw Valkyrie a few days ago...I'll post my write up in the Movie Section, because it contains spoilers...not that anyone who knows the history will be suprised at the plot

Now the two who played Olbrecht and Beck...THEY were good to watch
Old 02-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/sh...=4217#post4217

This is for my write up...it was my "film of the Month"
Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Coz being a Scientologist is worse then being a Nazi

[B][I]What you guys dont seem to understand is that in Germany they are still VERY cautious of Nationalism. Why would they get excited about seeing a group of Americans enact a failed Coup in an Administration which they would rather forget?? Its like asking whether Japan would go crazy over a film about the Atomic Bombing of two of their major cities....
not the same BY FAR NOT THE SAME
Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
not the same BY FAR NOT THE SAME
Scientology is a Cult, it is not Christian...it may not be Nazi

but its ironic that the Germans dont mind Cruise playing the part of a Nazi but hate the fact he's with scientology...

...and WADR...the thing with Japan is EXACTLY the same. Did you know that in Germany to deny the Holocaust is not only distasteful, its punished by going to prison? Do you know they dont sing the first verse of their National Anthem anymore because it is considered "too nationalistic" WHY would they enjoy, or want to watch ANYTHING to do with the world wars AT ALL...if we are not Patriotic, its because Europe has seen what Patriotism in an enclosed environment can become...so obviously the Germans are NOT going to like Valkyrie. Its called a touchy subject.

There is a difference with American Culture. Take for example Pearl Harbour...almost any other Nation would be grieved at a portrayal of an event such as that...but in America they already have films out about 9/11!

As I pointed out to Nathan when I visited him in 2007 and we watched 28Weeks later, the American Film depicts a firebombing of central London! What would Americans think if a British Film depicted the firebombing of New York, or Washington??...possibly nothing, because some of the Great American films show disastors happening to American Cities...Cities that have NEVER seen true warfare, Cities that have never been bombed night after night for years.

That makes these disastor movies like "the day after tommorow" or "Independance day" as complete fantasy that doesnt play on anything real. But for example, if you made a big film about the American Victory over Japan...that really happened, and the Cities still bear scars decades later...DONT expect the Japanese to flock to the cinemas to enjoy the Bombings. Of course the event had to happen...but lets remember what a vile thing it was aswell to befall any culture, particularly for any normal Japanese citizen who may not even have supported what their country was doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9lwvImJqT0

I hope you understand that just watching that documentary might be extremely distressing to someone of Japanese Origin...that was a documentary, imagine a film about Our Victory, and expecting such a movie to do well for a Japanese Audience...I dont suppose Downfall, did very well infront of the German Audiences either, thats even worse then Valkyrie, for its a story focusing on Adolf Hitlers last day in Berlin as the Allied Forces approached. It doesnt matter that these films show Good winning over Evil, or actions that HAD to happen to end tremendous wars...its the fact that some of the viewers from those countries, might now live in Berlin, or Hiroshima, perhaps they lost a relative in the bombing...perhaps it makes them feel ashamed even though they were not alive at the time that there Nations with such increadible evil...perhaps they can walk down the road outside there house and see a monument that attests to the sufferings of their city

I have to say...even I was slightly taken aback with how real the destruction of the docklands and canary wharf area of London appeared to be...and thats never happened, thats not even depicting a real event. I always get a little emotional when I hear of the night the bells of Saint Paul's fell silent during a particularly nasty Blitz that had the sole aim of ruining the Cathedral...and the photograph of Saint Paul's STILL STANDING the day after when the rest of the city was flattened to the ground...its just strange

Those Bells didnt ring again after that until the Liberation of Paris.

Last edited by Tyburn; 02-04-2009 at 09:17 PM.