Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-02-2009, 02:58 AM

I have to watch this one again. I remember being pissed the entire fight because I didn't think Nate was doing anything. Tyburn is usually close to how I would see it, so I wonder where I went wrong on this one. Definitely going to watch it again.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:36 AM
matthughesfan21

by ufc rules for scoring a fight, Clay won, but he was pissing me off because it just seemed to me like he was just trying to hold on to his back and pray he won a decision
Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 AM
Moose

He didn't try to finish the fight once. That's two of his last fights I sincerely hate.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Clay smothered Diaz in the first 2 rounds, easy win on the first 2 rounds for Clay. As for the 3rd round, Diaz landed some pretty sweet strikes, then got smothered again for the remainder of the round. I'd say 29-28 Clay.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:27 PM
TheConcretekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
I had Diaz winning....what did Guida do to win? nothing on the feet, holding Diaz in a body lock and going to sleep on his back doesnt equal control

...Nice Full Nelson though
A. sigh... using wrestling to nullify a striker's stand-up game (in this case, a pretty damn good stand-up game) IS controlling the fight. He slammed Nate a few times, scored takedowns, reversals, threw several high crotches, tied him up in the clinch, he worked a 3 quarter and I def saw him use a cradle, he nubbed Diaz's reversal/take down attempts. I think this was one of the best examples of using wrestling to complete control the fight.

Diaz had such a HUGE reach advantage and dangerous stand-up and he's a brown belt in BJJ. e.i. standing in front of him and banging is a terrible idea, and sitting in his guard is a terrible idea. Clay worked his wrestling and took away all options for Diaz. Perfection.

B. That was a pretty sweet full nelson, though it was the second I have seen in the UFC, I think Fitch did one as well. But he tried it as a submission where Clay used it EXTREMELY effectively to gain side control
Old 02-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
by ufc rules for scoring a fight, Clay won, but he was pissing me off because it just seemed to me like he was just trying to hold on to his back and pray he won a decision

Not UFC rules.

Unified MMA Rules.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
Not UFC rules.

Unified MMA Rules.
the Unified rules came from the UFC rules. IMO the judging criteria in PRIDE was much much better.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
the Unified rules came from the UFC rules. IMO the judging criteria in PRIDE was much much better.
I actually disagree. There were several fight I watched that went to decision in which one guy dominated all but the final round and lost the decision because the judges were likley to favor what they saw last.

[
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
A. sigh... using wrestling to nullify a striker's stand-up game (in this case, a pretty damn good stand-up game) IS controlling the fight. He slammed Nate a few times, scored takedowns, reversals, threw several high crotches, tied him up in the clinch, he worked a 3 quarter and I def saw him use a cradle, he nubbed Diaz's reversal/take down attempts. I think this was one of the best examples of using wrestling to complete control the fight.

Diaz had such a HUGE reach advantage and dangerous stand-up and he's a brown belt in BJJ. e.i. standing in front of him and banging is a terrible idea, and sitting in his guard is a terrible idea. Clay worked his wrestling and took away all options for Diaz. Perfection.

B. That was a pretty sweet full nelson, though it was the second I have seen in the UFC, I think Fitch did one as well. But he tried it as a submission where Clay used it EXTREMELY effectively to gain side control
I didn't know how to say ALL that, but if I had, you would have taken the words right out of my mouth.

Whenever, Clay was on top of him (I guess in Diaz's guard) I was screaming at the TV for Clay to watch out for those long legs; Diaz almost could have had him a couple of times. I'm surprised that Dave and some others just saw the fight as Clay just laying on Diaz's back or as just "holding" him. I think both of them were being "defensive" in trying not to be caught by the other.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Primadawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid

QFT