Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 02-07-2009, 04:06 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Well I know the Black and Gold Express is one of the larger fan clubs in the Steeler Nation. A group I was proudly a part of when I lived in Tacoma. They completely take over the Hooters on Tacoma Mall Blvd and 72nd st every Sunday during football season.

In fact if you want to do a little research when the Hawks and the Steelers played in the SB it became a pretty big news story because the Hawk fans were outraged that the entire Hooters was taken over by Steeler fans for the SB. A bunch of people in Tacoma/Seattle tried to organize a boycott of Hooters. KING5 ended up coming out the morning of the game and filming us and interviewing one of the founders Sean. It was awesome... we had TPD there to make sure the Hawk fans in the parking lot didn't mix it up with the Steeler fans inside Hooters.
i don't watch KING 5...only KIRO or KOMO
Old 02-07-2009, 04:10 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
no goal...just a happy coincidence.
Lucky me
no, you could have played the Giants and the Eagles....the SB is part of the playoffs/post season.
1//2 credit to you. The SB is part of the post season. Calling it part of the playoffs would be a stretch.
sure Chuck, Steelers mean nothing to you. only time you get upset around here is when they are criticized.
No... they mean a lot to me... not quite the way Jens means to Dave... I'm just saying I don't live through them
first of all, show me a good loser second of all, Nog is not, nor was ever, my boy.
good point on the loser thing... and Nog DID sound like your boy before and after that fight that's for sure.
the NSAC support my whining by saying it was an unfair fight for BJ.
sure.... but it's still whining
as for the Cards, 9-7 or not, it would have been nice to see a team win the SB that never made one before.
Bro I totally agree... and if they were playing ANY other team then mine... I would have been their biggest fan.
character is a social construct....it could be debated endlessly. like i said, show me someone who is a good loser. like GSP said of Penn, "he's a winner, his mentality is that of a winner because he is looking for reasons as to why he lost."
Matt Hughes is a good loser. So is GSP, KOS & Fedor... or at least he will be someday!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:20 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
on camera they are....with their friends and family, you know they're pissed.

seriously though, you do remember GSP saying he wouldn't have fought Serra the first time if he were Matt Hughes? he said that because he was supposedly injured going into the fight.

it was his excuse as to why Serra beat him. he was basically saying Serra was nothing and even though he (GSP) was injured he could beat him. LOL

he also said the only reason he lost to Matt Hughes was because he was in awe of him, he was his idol and he was already beat before they fought.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Chuck

Quote:
on camera they are....with their friends and family, you know they're pissed.

seriously though, you do remember GSP saying he wouldn't have fought Serra the first time if he were Matt Hughes? he said that because he was supposedly injured going into the fight.

it was his excuse as to why Serra beat him. he was basically saying Serra was nothing and even though he (GSP) was injured he could beat him. LOL

he also said the only reason he lost to Matt Hughes was because he was in awe of him, he was his idol and he was already beat before they fought.

I don't have a problem with either of those comments to be honest...

Saying he wouldnt have taken the fight if it was Matt is really just a compliment to Matt. I don't see that as being a bad thing.

to me Sarah IS nothing.... a game show winner with no right at a title shot... I don't remember GSP being injured... I belive he was referring more to his mental state due to some personal issues and the impact it had on his training. A tough spot to be in really... back out of a fight and people trash you... fight when you don't think you should and lose... people talk trash.... a no win in my book.

I guess the comment about being in awe of Matt is why I like GSP. He's just honest. He tapped way too early, he knew that... and he was honest about it. Hell if your idol locks up an armbar on you in your head you're probably thinking it's broke already. Imagine catching a fastball from Randy Johnson. Even if he threw it at half speed in your head it was a million miles an hour just because of what you KNOW he's capable of. I think that's what GSP was thinking.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:47 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
I don't have a problem with either of those comments to be honest...

Saying he wouldnt have taken the fight if it was Matt is really just a compliment to Matt. I don't see that as being a bad thing.

to me Sarah IS nothing.... a game show winner with no right at a title shot... I don't remember GSP being injured... I belive he was referring more to his mental state due to some personal issues and the impact it had on his training. A tough spot to be in really... back out of a fight and people trash you... fight when you don't think you should and lose... people talk trash.... a no win in my book.

I guess the comment about being in awe of Matt is why I like GSP. He's just honest. He tapped way too early, he knew that... and he was honest about it. Hell if your idol locks up an armbar on you in your head you're probably thinking it's broke already. Imagine catching a fastball from Randy Johnson. Even if he threw it at half speed in your head it was a million miles an hour just because of what you KNOW he's capable of. I think that's what GSP was thinking.
he still slighted Serra. i'm not saying it's a bad thing, just pointing out that everyone says things from time to time. moreso than others but all do at some point.

the reason why GSP has been able to beat Matt the last 2 times, IMO, is because Matt really got to him when he trash talked him about his armbar defense. this motivated him in the rematches.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:50 AM
Chuck

Quote:
the reason why GSP has been able to beat Matt the last 2 times, IMO, is because Matt really got to him when he trash talked him about his armbar defense. this motivated him in the rematches.
Well that and the fact that at this point in their respective careers GSP is simply the better fighter. I think the torch has been passed... it happens to everyone sooner or later even the great ones.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:58 AM
Hughes_GOAT

and he has become better, in part, because Matt pissed him off or maybe even hurt him. either of those are tremendous motivators. he went to a Sports Pyschologist for crying out loud.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:01 AM
Chuck

Quote:
and he has become better, in part, because Matt pissed him off or maybe even hurt him. either of those are tremendous motivators. he went to a Sports Pyschologist for crying out loud.
Agreed.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:40 AM
matthughesfan21

how in the heck did we get from the Steelers and Cards, to MMA so quickly?!?!?!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Hughes_GOAT

that's how it works....no matter what the topic, it always comes back to MMA.