Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Yeah, I mean considering that the Steerlers only allowed a team over 300 yards one other time this year and the Cardinals managed to come up with just over 400, I would say they all looked good.

Again credit to Satonio Holmes for making a great catch, but it was totally BOGUS that the refs did not give him a penalty for using the ball as a prop to celebrate after that touchdown. The one time the celebration penalty would have actually effected the game, and they don't call it...go figure.
it was also bogus that they game Harrison a penalty for taking off his helmet yet when Warner took his helmet off after the first fumble (the one that was overturned because it was a pass) they did not trow the flag. But hey thats how things go.

I would also like to point out that when Pittsburgh played the Titans one of the Titans players pulled out a towel and swung it around and no flag was called on that.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Harrison is a punk, and he should have been kicked out of the game. No respect for him. Throwing punches like he did was just uncalled for.

As for Kurt Warner taking his helmet off... FAIL. He took it off after the ref called the play a turnover and he was walking off the field. Yeah, he said something to the ref as he went past him, but so what? Not to mention, the play was overturned, so the officials got it wrong in the first place.

Also, the reference to the Steelers vs Tennessee is not really the same when you consider the magnitude of the game and specific moment in time. I agree that if there was unsportsmanlike conduct, from ANY player, a flag should be thrown. However, the Titans beat the Steelers 31-14 at the end of the regular season, a game the did not really matter too much for either team because they were already both going to the playoffs. This was the SUPER BOWL, and the last 30 seconds in a really close game to boot! That 15 yards on the kickoff could have made a HUGE difference.

I live for football, and believe me I know that there are PLENTY of games with poor officiating, and I realize that's just how it goes. However, the biggest problem with the fact that this happened is that now there will always be a question mark hanging over this game, and it just makes people skeptical of the officials and overall rules. I have heard people all over today saying they think it looks shady that the last two times the Steelers have won the Super Bowl there has been controversy over the refs. It just looks bad for the sport, no matter what two teams it is, but obviously it has me a bit more riled up because I happen to be a Cardinals fan.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Max

Quote:
Harrison is a punk, and he should have been kicked out of the game. No respect for him. Throwing punches like he did was just uncalled for.

As for Kurt Warner taking his helmet off... FAIL. He took it off after the ref called the play a turnover and he was walking off the field. Yeah, he said something to the ref as he went past him, but so what? Not to mention, the play was overturned, so the officials got it wrong in the first place.

Also, the reference to the Steelers vs Tennessee is not really the same when you consider the magnitude of the game and specific moment in time. I agree that if there was unsportsmanlike conduct, from ANY player, a flag should be thrown. However, the Titans beat the Steelers 31-14 at the end of the regular season, a game the did not really matter too much for either team because they were already both going to the playoffs. This was the SUPER BOWL, and the last 30 seconds in a really close game to boot! That 15 yards on the kickoff could have made a HUGE difference.

I live for football, and believe me I know that there are PLENTY of games with poor officiating, and I realize that's just how it goes. However, the biggest problem with the fact that this happened is that now there will always be a question mark hanging over this game, and it just makes people skeptical of the officials and overall rules. I have heard people all over today saying they think it looks shady that the last two times the Steelers have won the Super Bowl there has been controversy over the refs. It just looks bad for the sport, no matter what two teams it is, but obviously it has me a bit more riled up because I happen to be a Cardinals fan.
I like HArrison but I agree he should have been kicked out of the game. The thing with the Warner is not that different. Harrison got flagged for taking his helmet off after the play was over as well. Warner took his helmet off and went over and yelled to the ref that he was throwing the ball. He was still on the field of play (in the middle of the field). As for the touchdown, it was the last 30 sec of the game and if you throw a flag on that then the ref are really crossing the line IMO. Could it have been a flag, yes, but IMO it should not have been. As for the last superbowl. People bitch about the TD Ben scored but it was clear he was in if you look at the photos.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 AM
CHITOWNHUGHESFAN

Congrats to my favorite team and to the wonderful fans that support the most beloved teams!!! Took all the good luck jerseys and helmet with me to watched the game. My office has new Super Bowl items to be added !!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Preach

Quote:
Yeah, I mean considering that the Steerlers only allowed a team over 300 yards one other time this year and the Cardinals managed to come up with just over 400, I would say they all looked good.

Again credit to Satonio Holmes for making a great catch, but it was totally BOGUS that the refs did not give him a penalty for using the ball as a prop to celebrate after that touchdown. The one time the celebration penalty would have actually effected the game, and they don't call it...go figure.

Yeah but then again look at how Harrison acted the whole freakin game. What a thug
Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 PM
KevinD

......whats that? O ya, steelers win!!!!

It gets even sweeter when you here the whiners cry about officiating and defensive stars.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:

that could be the reason a flag was not thrown, maybe they didn't want to influence the outcome of the biggest game of the year because of a touchdown celebration, Cards fans are angry because it wasn't called, but if it was and they scored, Steelers fans would be angry, and I don't think they want to cause controversy considering its already being called the ''No fun league".......I agree if its the rule, it should be called, but I think this was one of those ''let it play out" situations, given the magnitude of the game, emotions are running high
Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Preach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD
......whats that? O ya, steelers win!!!!

It gets even sweeter when you here the whiners cry about officiating and defensive stars.
I can only whine about the play selection by the Arizona coaching staff
Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
KevinD

I just playin with ya Ben.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 AM
CHITOWNHUGHESFAN

Thumbs up

Quote:

I respect your Cardinal point. But I have a Steeler Point as well. This is all in good fun.
About Harrison. You and John Madden need to stop drinking the cool aid. He got a personal foul, 15 yards. Good call. If he deserved that. Play was still going on.Football is a tough sport. No punch. If there was he would of been thrown out. Dont hate the man do the fact he had the longest TD ever in a Super Bowl .
Also this game has no question mark over it. Cardinals are a great team and played well. Penlties will kill any team. Maybe thats why they finished 9-7. Penalties are part of the game. Like the 3 holding calls alone on Harrison. But if he didnt hold Warner. He would of not finished the game standing.
It was a great game . Ill leave it as that.

Last edited by CHITOWNHUGHESFAN; 02-04-2009 at 01:01 AM.