Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-03-2009, 03:40 PM
clm12704

Default Talented/popular fighters not in the UFC...

This was discussed a little bit in the Trigg thread, but it's something I've been curious about for a while, in particular in regards to Robbie and Mayhem. Both were in the UFC at one time, and both are popular (Mayhem especially), talented, and have grown considerably since their last UFC fight. I've seen them in the corners for some of the fighters from their camps, so they're obviously not blacklisted. Are there specific CITED reasons for these guys not being there?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm12704
This was discussed a little bit in the Trigg thread, but it's something I've been curious about for a while, in particular in regards to Robbie and Mayhem. Both were in the UFC at one time, and both are popular (Mayhem especially), talented, and have grown considerably since their last UFC fight. I've seen them in the corners for some of the fighters from their camps, so they're obviously not blacklisted. Are there specific CITED reasons for these guys not being there?
there are most likely over 80 some fighters that are at the UFC's mid level range and are fighting in other places (probably alot more)
Old 06-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm12704
Don't know about mayham but with Robbie I believe it is a contractual issue.

Robbie wasn't the #2 middleweight in the world when he was in the UFC. I don't know exactly why he is not there. I don't know the history well enough but If I had to guess maybe after the loss's to Diaz and tanner his contract was up? That is a fight I want to see.

Nothing I like better then watching Nick diaz getting his jaw knocked across an arena. I can see it "Where's my ****ing jaw??" 2 seconds later "Wheres my ****ing jaw?" 2 seconds later "where's MY ****ING JAW"
Old 06-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Racism
Old 06-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Tatsuya 'the crusher' Kawajiri, he's one of the best 155'ers in the world and he's my favorite lightweight fighter

Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykojojo
Tatsuya 'the crusher' Kawajiri, he's one of the best 155'ers in the world and he's my favorite lightweight fighter
cant believe he tooled jz like that....
Old 06-03-2009, 05:24 PM
County Mike

The UFC is the biggest stage. However, they're also the most restrictive organization to sign with. They won't let contracted fighters compete anywhere else and most of the fighters are only offered 3 to 4 fights per year max. If you're not making the BIG money per fight, you can actually do better in other organizations where you fight more often and/or can fight for other orgs.

Example: UFC has you in a restricted contract and offers you 4 fights per year $15,000 per fight. The most you can make that year is $60K.
As a free agent, you can get fights for may $10,000 per fight but fight once per month. You can double your money. This is especially true for entry level fighters who would only get $3-5K per fight. They can make as much in smaller orgs and fight a lot more often.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Don't know about mayham but with Robbie I believe it is a contractual issue.

Robbie wasn't the #2 middleweight in the world when he was in the UFC. I don't know exactly why he is not there. I don't know the history well enough but If I had to guess maybe after the loss's to Diaz and tanner his contract was up? That is a fight I want to see.

Nothing I like better then watching Nick diaz getting his jaw knocked across an arena. I can see it "Where's my ****ing jaw??" 2 seconds later "Wheres my ****ing jaw?" 2 seconds later "where's MY ****ING JAW"
Old 06-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
Lol. sorry Melis. I gots no love for the Diaz
Old 06-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Lol. sorry Melis. I gots no love for the Diaz
Its cool.. I don't think it would work with Nick anyways I can't stand most of his mma buddies!!