Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-01-2009, 02:53 PM

Them comments about tapping to me isnt really something really heinous to say.

He made a few comments before a fight about it, in staged interviews that is designed to get them to say provocative things.

most of the shtye talk before fights are mostly harmless and i see it all as part parcel, the most important thing as ever is that at the end, the trouble is quashed and respect is shown. If thats the case then it really doesnt bother me and im not fussed to ram words down their throats.

There are of course exceptions, such as Serra, Tito, Trigg when they go too far.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:57 PM
GnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
Them comments about tapping to me isnt really something really heinous to say.

He made a few comments before a fight about it, in staged interviews that is designed to get them to say provocative things.

most of the shtye talk before fights are mostly harmless and i see it all as part parcel, the most important thing as ever is that at the end, the trouble is quashed and respect is shown. If thats the case then it really doesnt bother me and im not fussed to ram words down their throats.

There are of course exceptions, such as Serra, Tito, Trigg when they go too far.

As i say i do realise it is petty of me and usualy the pre fight talk dosn't bother me. I for some reason angered much more than usual at the pre fight this time. Perhaps it s my lack of sleep so i am more grumpy

Anyway great night of fights and all my picks came in
Old 02-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMeh
Here is the article incase anyone wants to read it but not click on the link

B.J. Penn's camp has filed a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission over Vaseline that was allegedly rubbed on Georges St. Pierre's back between rounds one and two. UFC president Dana White said at the post-fight press conference that he was aware of the complaint, and said he personally witnessed members of the commission take the Vaseline away from GSP's camp and rebuke them in the Octagon between rounds.

"I saw the commission jump up there and flipping out," said Dana White. They said one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on Georges' back in between rounds. It was one and two, I think."

"The guys from the athletic commission went up there and started screaming at them. Knocked the Vaseline and kicked the Vaseline out of the Octagon."

White added that "some Vaseline on a guy's back didn't change the outcome of that fight, but you don't do it," and said the blame should fall on the cornerman responsible and not GSP.

"If a guy was intentionally putting Vaseline on a guy's back, he should never corner a mixed martial arts fight again."

As for what becomes of the complaint now, White said it's out of his hands.

"Who knows. That's up to the commission."

I dont think it would have changed the outcome of the fight but a point should have been taken away IMO.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:50 PM
cubsfan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
I dont have sky...the annoying thing is I turned over at half two and thought..."I dont have to watch Primetime...I'll just doze til three... "

at 11 I thought..."I've missed it "

I had my DVR set to record the fight which it did. I have figured out how to have it burn to a DVD while playing back. Good thing too because I passed out while playing it back: too much partying.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:01 PM
warriorlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max

I dont think it would have changed the outcome of the fight but a point should have been taken away IMO.
for something that he didnt do???

Thats real fair on the fighter getting penalised for the stupidity of a cornerman. come on!!!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:01 PM
kevint13

Unfortunately you can only see the aftermath where they are yelling at the corner so you can't see what really happened. GSP stated that the cornerman was rubbing his shoulders and had vaseline on his hands from the last round. Who knows....there is this story and what Dana said. Likely the truth is somewhere in between.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Max

here is a post from mmafighting.net about what happened

I've just watched it again, this is what I saw:

Between R1 & R2: Cornerman applies Vaseline to eyebrows, nose, jaw, shoulders and chest, massages temples then runs hands down his shoulders and rubs his back netween his shoulder blades. Debateable how much Vaseline would still be on his hands as no more was applied after it was applied to GSP's jaw.

Between R2 & R3: We see the NSAC guy in the red jacket waving his hand at one of the cornerman as if to say no/no more. Not clear what he's referring to though.

Between R3 & R4: As soon as round ends GSP's cornerman walks over to him, tub of Vaseline in right hand, guiding GSP to his corner with his left hand on his shoulder blade.
Later same cornerman massages GSP's shoulders presumably after applying Vaseline to GSP, then red jacket guy immediately asks for a towel and wipes GSP's back/shoulders.

Worth remembering that we were watching replays and BJ's corner for much of the time in between rounds so it's impossible to say what was going on at that time.

Those are the facts, make your mind up.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorlion
for something that he didnt do???

Thats real fair on the fighter getting penalised for the stupidity of a cornerman. come on!!!!!
what else could they do. you can rub but there is still going to be some left. A warning for the first time it happens and after that you take a point away.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Max

here are gifs of in between the rounds

(Between Rd 1 and 2)

(Between Rd 1 and 2)

(Between Rd 2 and 3)
Old 02-01-2009, 04:17 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I am just glad BJ lost so we don't have to see him parade around with two belts, licking peoples blood, and running his mouth double time. Last night was proof that Penn is very overrated.