Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-01-2009, 03:33 PM
MMeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
the main thing was that GSP was able to use his 20 lbs weight advantage (most of which is muscle) to push BJ up against the cage and wear him down. BJ did great stopping GSP's takedowns in round 1 but GSP's size was just to much for BJ. GSP never stopped looking for the takedown and only threw punches to close the gap. Even on the ground BJ was using everything he had to keep GSP in his guard and it just tired BJ out.
Good analysis, completely agree with you. BJ burned through a ton of energy is the first couple rounds simply going for/holding position. He needed to have the gas tank of his life to have a chance last night, and even then he might have been eventually worn out. Again, I'm a fan of GSP, but this could be a early indicator of what GSP could have happen to him if he moves up to fight Silva (read somewhere that he occasionally cuts down from as high as 230, and GSP is a monster for WW cutting from 200; that's a lot of size)
Old 02-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44
Bj didnt do anything the whole fight but stop a few takedowns... GSP owned him... Alves will atleast put up a fight i hope.
He will do exactly the same thing. He will stop a few takedowns and then get tko'ed. An olympic quality wrestler with great striking is the only person who will stop GSP now.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMeh
Good analysis, completely agree with you. BJ burned through a ton of energy is the first couple rounds simply going for/holding position. He needed to have the gas tank of his life to have a chance last night, and even then he might have been eventually worn out. Again, I'm a fan of GSP, but this could be a early indicator of what GSP could have happen to him if he moves up to fight Silva (read somewhere that he occasionally cuts down from as high as 230, and GSP is a monster for WW cutting from 200; that's a lot of size)
I don't think weight would be as much of an issue in that fight. GSP could take him down easily and probably tko him from there.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
He will do exactly the same thing. He will stop a few takedowns and then get tko'ed. An olympic quality wrestler with great striking is the only person who will stop GSP now.
the person I want to see GSP fight is Paulo Filho. Filho is fine with fighting from his back and GSP now takes everyone down. I think this woudl be a really interesting fight if GSP would decide to move up to MW.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Max

Quote:
I don't think weight would be as much of an issue in that fight. GSP could take him down easily and probably tko him from there.
Im not sure if he would be abel to get Silva down. Silva has very good TD defense and if GSP cant get him down he will get KOed. I think the champs of each div need to stay in their div
Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
the person I want to see GSP fight is Paulo Filho. Filho is fine with fighting from his back and GSP now takes everyone down. I think this woudl be a really interesting fight if GSP would decide to move up to MW.
Filho is not as in shape anymore though. I don't think he could keep GSP from posturing up and landing elbows. I think he could keep GSP from passing his guard so easily though. He has great subs too. As good as BJ is he never seems to do much off of his back. But yeah you are right I would love to see that fight.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
Im not sure if he would be abel to get Silva down. Silva has very good TD defense and if GSP cant get him down he will get KOed. I think the champs of each div need to stay in their div
I do think it's best for fighters to stay where they are but I would love to see that fight. I really think GSP could get Silva down.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Stump Rules!

Turns out I'm still gloating!
Did you guys see GSP give PENN that ASS WHOOPIN' he gave last night?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
Well, good night everyone. I'll try not to be so "gloaty" tomorrow....but don't hold your breath

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
i will have to go back and watch again but I dont think BJ pulled guard
he kinda did
Old 02-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Filho is not as in shape anymore though. .
thats an understatement ....... I thought he was stoned in his last fight