Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 AM
AndyPatio

Default Running

Iíve decided to join the British Army but Iím not exactly the fittest person in the world. I have been hitting the gym a lot (roughly 3-4 times a week) to get into shape.

I just have 1 problem though. I need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 10.50 minutes. My best so far is 12 minutes and Iím always tired before the first 1 mile mark and then I have to stop and take a break meaning I can't fully complete the 1.5 mile run. :(

Any ideas on how I could improve this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPatio
Any ideas on how I could improve this?
Join the MOD, you dont need to go through Basic Training that way

I'm Kid, I Kid....thats just what they told me when I walked past them at a Careers Convention...but...I doubt you're anywhere near the size I am
Old 05-31-2009, 02:15 PM
AndyPatio

5"9
173 Pound

I'm alright with my upperbody strength, can do the pull ups, pushups and sit ups. Just my running lacks.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
5"9
173 Pound

I'm alright with my upperbody strength, can do the pull ups, pushups and sit ups. Just my running lacks.
5"11

MUCH HEAVIER THEN YOU

I dont know much about running at all to be honnest, but give it a bit and you'll get some good replies from people who do lots of it
Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 PM
gymcoach97

First of all, I cannot help with program design because I don't train runners. My suggestion is to consult a local track coach at the university or high school.

With that said, you need to do interval and tempo training at shorter distances to increase your lactate threshold. Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience in working with any runners to set up a program in terms of the exact distances and the volume (i.e. how many times you run a particular distance and at what pace) in a given workout.

My guess is that they would have you running 600-800-1000m at a time at a hard pace. Essentially, you're building your running "strength." If you continue to just try and run 1.5 or even beyond at your regular pace, you'll only see minimal gains because the limiting factor is really your anaerobic system and your ability to perform at a higher percentage of your VO2 Max.

So, go seek out a local track coach and they'll probably be willing to help you out.

Good Luck!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
5"9
173 Pound

thats not to bad after wrestling I blew up from 152 to 174 well now Iam back down to 165 but thats not that bad.

ok Iam not much of a runner but try this. you get tired at 1 mile so run a mile on a tredmill and just increase the speed each time you do it even if its just a little then do it for a 1.5 miles
Old 05-31-2009, 09:56 PM
AndyPatio

Thanks for the advice I will try it.

There is no local tracks near me :( Or I would go and see the coach and get training there.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:03 AM
gymcoach97

Well, you have a computer and an internet connection, obviously. So, shoot out some e-mails to some coaches. I'm sure somebody will offer some good advice.