Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 PM
atomdanger

Default UFC seeks greater control of fighter sponsorships

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13828/mmaj...onsorships.mma

Quote:

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned through an industry source that the UFC is considering a new sponsorship business model, which would require any company interested in sponsoring a fighter to work directly with the UFC. The UFC would negotiate the deal for the fighter and charge the sponsoring company a promotional fee for the right to have its brand on display on fighters in the octagon.

As another option, the UFC also is considering taking a page from the music industry by establishing "360-degree contracts" with its athletes. As first reported by MMAPayout.com, these contracts would give the UFC access to a portion of all dollars generated by fighters outside of the octagon.

Anybody know if thats legal to do?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 PM
County Mike

That would really suck for the fighters. Does the UFC really need to have it's hands in every fighters pocket?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

it sounds legal...but it also sounds stupid.

The UFC REALLY have to stop bugging Fighters so much...if they concentrated more on fights and eliminating Steroids, and tackling low blows, and TUF, then they did booting people out, or trying to keep costs down for fighter pay, whilst uping on the PPV costs...they might find they are better liked by Fighters and Fans

We might like the product...but I think everyone is begining to think the Institution as a governing body stinks.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Chris F

It is very legal and in most sports that do not have player unions normal. Baseball did it as did NBA and NFL. However after unions and a few strikes it ended. I think you will see a lot less fighters not having agents to broker deals. The UFC can decide what they want on their shows. It is their brand. A big name however can easily put this into all contracts signed to protect their sponsorships. For example the NFL prohibits markings by player onto their uniform including their shoes etc. So this is more common then you may realize.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 PM
bry241173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

The UFC REALLY have to stop bugging Fighters so much...if they concentrated more on fights and eliminating Steroids, and tackling low blows, and TUF, then they did booting people out, or trying to keep costs down for fighter pay, whilst uping on the PPV costs...they might find they are better liked by Fighters and Fans

We might like the product...but I think everyone is begining to think the Institution as a governing body stinks.
I completely agree dave, Frank Warren did a piece in the news of the screws on sunday, slagging off marshall, and the ufc in general, mainly to do with the poor pay the fighters get.
Now Zuffa allegedly want 15% of sponsorship as well??? Very odd, i'll ask dana at the next vodka shot party.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:59 PM
TheConcretekid

so long as the fighters sign the dotted line its legal
Old 01-27-2009, 01:00 AM
rearnakedchoke

Well for boxing they have the MABRA to ensure boxers aren't ripped off ... wonder how long before someone adds mma's to this ... same thing if you ask me .... i am sure dana doesn't want this to be made law with mma ... not even sure if it is comparing apples to apples though

http://www.boxinginsider.com/almanac...-reform-act-2/
Old 01-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

Dave.. did you start doing drugs or something? I can respectfully disagree with you on points.. fairly small ones in the grand scheme of thing.

But to say that the UFC doesn't work at eliminating steroids and other performance enhancing drugs is border line nutty..Did Jen's losing last night get to you that bad?

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.FactSheet
Commission approved gloves
Weight classes
Time limits and rounds
Mandatory drug testing
No head butting or kicking to the downed opponent
No knees to the head of a downed opponent
No downward point of the elbow strikes
No strikes to the spine or the back of the head
No groin or throat strikes

State Athletic Commission approval in such major states as New Jersey, Nevada, Florida & Louisiana.

The UFC has never backed down from various commissions finding.. Dana did say that he personally belived Sean.. but aside from that.. Tim, gone, Stephen Bonner.. gone.. Hermes Franca, gone..various others.. gone.. Just like the commissions decreed.

You make the UFC sound like the mid 80's pro wrestling companies..

Your above statement is just plain dumb... Sorry to be so venomous.. but you are usually much MUCH smarter than that.. Your intelligence and passion for MMA is much better than that..

While I don't know the "ins and outs" of this idea.. maybe you could look at it from another point of view... Maybe they are trying to protect fighters... granted it doesn't appear that way.... but to say the UFC doesn't look out for fighters.. is .. well goofy...
Old 01-27-2009, 07:37 AM
jason2130

im just speculating but i figure its only a matter of time until they try and add a claus that prohibits fighters from fighting at other promotions for a set time even after your contract is up or is canceled

just like alot of professional jobs, for instance i do pest control and before i started work i had to sign a contract stateing that if i leave or get fired from my current company i cant go work at another pest control company for 2 years
Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130
im just speculating but i figure its only a matter of time until they try and add a claus that prohibits fighters from fighting at other promotions for a set time even after your contract is up or is canceled

just like alot of professional jobs, for instance i do pest control and before i started work i had to sign a contract stateing that if i leave or get fired from my current company i cant go work at another pest control company for 2 years

That is already going on. Prime Example.. when Randy "quit".