Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 05-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
The Who over GNR, I will ask you that... what is it about The Who that you like, or what is about GNR you dislike?
That's mainly my brother's fault. A lot of my musical tastes are due to his opinions (little brother wants to like his older brother so listens to all the same music, watches same movies, etc.). Like I said, there's nothing specific I could point to for The Who or against GnR, that's just what I prefer. As much as I'd love to, I can't explain it.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 PM
ufcfan2

Quote:

So, here is the first round...

Led Zepplin vs Cream

Pink Floyd vs Black Sabbath

Jimi Hendrix vs Soundgarden

Queen vs AC/DC

Metallica vs The Sex Pistols

Aerosmith vs Nirvana

KISS vs Van Halen

Guns n Roses vs The Who

Okay, there it is people! Now VOTE!
Led Zepplin

Black Sabbath

Soundgarden

AC/DC

Metallica

Aerosmith

Kiss

Guns 'N Roses

Sabbath v. Floyd was hard to decide,as I think Floyd had the best album ever made: The Wall,but Sabbath influenced more bands.
Second round, I was never a Hendrix fan,but loved Soundgarden w/chris cornell who I think has one of the best voices in rock music.
Voting against Queen was hard as well,Feddie was a prominant entertainer and influential music,but AC/DC just rocks the F out of ya.
Metallica,GNR were the easiest for me,and voting against VanHalen/VanHagar and Nirvana were tough as well.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Okay, so Dave kinda inspired me to do this with his thread on ranking MMA fighter's websites. I thought this would be cool, providing we get enough of you guys to participate.

The premise is simple; To determine the best band according to votes from the forum members. Now, after giving it some thought, I figured if we tried to take suggestions from board members as to WHO should be in the battle, we would end up spinning our wheels, so I decided to take the liberty of deciding the bands in the contest. Even though I don't completely agree with their list, and I am sure NOBODY completely agrees with it, I used VH1's list of Top 20 bands of all time to pick the groups. The list can be seen HERE

Out of the 20 bands, I took the top 16 and have made a tournament style bracket, similar to that of most pro-sports playoffs, with the lowest seed playing against the highest seed.

I figure that 1 week per round is sufficient time to ensure everybody gets a chance to vote. If not enough people participate, I won't bother continuing the thread, but I think this could be cool and fun to do. So, why not?

I will keep tally of the votes rather than trying to do polls, which would require too many threads. So all I ask is that if you are going to go on a soapbox about WHY such and such band is better than another, just name all your votes for the current round at the beginning of your post.

So, here is the first round...

Led Zepplin vs Cream- Stairway to Heaven!

Pink Floyd vs Black Sabbath-My old man's favourite band, the song Time used to enthrall me as a kid

Jimi Hendrix vs Soundgarden - Jimi, love everything about this dude, if i were black, i want to look like him! Let alone songs like Castles Made of Sand, little Wing, etc
Queen vs AC/DC- could go either, just listened to more Queen as a kid

Metallica vs The Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen! i mean what a song to sing and true punks and anarchy!

Aerosmith vs Nirvana- Nirvana unplugged, one of the most inspiring live performances, i never got all the fuss about Kurt until i saw that and started listening! His Cover of Man who Sold the World has to rank as one of the greatest covers ever.

KISS vs Van Halen - dont really know much music from either

Guns n Roses vs The Who- The Who are overated, GNR are not however, my band alongside Oasis of the early nineties!

Okay, there it is people! Now VOTE!
Hope that come out right?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:41 AM
Stump Rules!

Am I doing this right?

Led Zepplin

Black Sabbath

Jimi Hendrix
Queen

The Sex Pistols

Aerosmith
Van Halen

Guns n Roses

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Josh

Quote:
I will admit, I am not huge on LZ either, but I largely based my vote there on the fact that Eric Clapton was Cream's guitarist, and he is more significant than LZ any day in my book.
It's funny how people are with music. I used to listen to classic rock exclusively and I can't understand how you can think Cream is more significant than LZ. But on the flip side I don't really like the Beatles and people think I am crazy.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:23 AM
Josh

Led Zepplin

Pink Floyd

Jimi Hendrix

Queen

Metallica

Aerosmith

The Who
Old 05-30-2009, 05:12 AM
Hughes_GOAT

how could you have Pink Floyd vs Black Sabbath in the first round!?

i can't roll with this
Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
how could you have Pink Floyd vs Black Sabbath in the first round!?

i can't roll with this
I don't know, how the heck do the "Sex Pistols" even make the cut?

I used a typical tournament style setup, high seeds against low seeds. That's just the way it worked out.

Now quit being a pansy and vote!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:26 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
It's funny how people are with music. I used to listen to classic rock exclusively and I can't understand how you can think Cream is more significant than LZ. But on the flip side I don't really like the Beatles and people think I am crazy.
Eric Clapton > Jimmy Page IMO

Don't get me wrong, I like some LZ, but I also find them to be one of the most over-rated bands ever. Along with The Beatles.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Stump Rules!

Quote:
I don't know, how the heck do the "Sex Pistols" even make the cut?

I used a typical tournament style setup, high seeds against low seeds. That's just the way it worked out.

Now quit being a pansy and vote!

http://stumpdotcom.com/