Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Default MHF Battle of the Bands 2009 (Round 1)

Okay, so Dave kinda inspired me to do this with his thread on ranking MMA fighter's websites. I thought this would be cool, providing we get enough of you guys to participate.

The premise is simple; To determine the best band according to votes from the forum members. Now, after giving it some thought, I figured if we tried to take suggestions from board members as to WHO should be in the battle, we would end up spinning our wheels, so I decided to take the liberty of deciding the bands in the contest. Even though I don't completely agree with their list, and I am sure NOBODY completely agrees with it, I used VH1's list of Top 20 bands of all time to pick the groups. The list can be seen HERE

Out of the 20 bands, I took the top 16 and have made a tournament style bracket, similar to that of most pro-sports playoffs, with the lowest seed playing against the highest seed.

I figure that 1 week per round is sufficient time to ensure everybody gets a chance to vote. If not enough people participate, I won't bother continuing the thread, but I think this could be cool and fun to do. So, why not?

I will keep tally of the votes rather than trying to do polls, which would require too many threads. So all I ask is that if you are going to go on a soapbox about WHY such and such band is better than another, just name all your votes for the current round at the beginning of your post.

So, here is the first round...

Led Zepplin vs Cream

Pink Floyd vs Black Sabbath

Jimi Hendrix vs Soundgarden

Queen vs AC/DC

Metallica vs The Sex Pistols

Aerosmith vs Nirvana

KISS vs Van Halen

Guns n Roses vs The Who

Okay, there it is people! Now VOTE!

Last edited by J.B.; 05-29-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

My votes for round 1

Cream, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, AC/DC, Metallica, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Guns n Roses

In my opinion, the hardest vote on this list in Round 1 would have to be Sabbath against Floyd. They are both so great, it would not matter which band I picked, I knew I would feel a little pit in my stomach when doing so. Ultimately, Sabbath inspired a whole genre of music, one which I still love, called heavy metal, and that is what influenced my vote in their direction.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:05 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
My votes for round 1

Cream, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, AC/DC, Metallica, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Guns n Roses

In my opinion, the hardest vote on this list in Round 1 would have to be Sabbath against Floyd. They are both so great, it would not matter which band I picked, I knew I would feel a little pit in my stomach when doing so. Ultimately, Sabbath inspired a whole genre of music, one which I still love, called heavy metal, and that is what influenced my vote in their direction.
Cream(i hate zeppelin), Sabbath(i agree, tough choice), Hendrix, AC/DC. Metallica, Aerosmith, Kiss, GNR
Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Led Zepplin

Pink Floyd

Jimi Hendrix

AC/DC

Metallica

Aerosmith

Van Halen

The Who
I don't have much strict musical basis for these picks, it's just the bands I'd prefer to have on my playlist.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:20 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I don't have much strict musical basis for these picks, it's just the bands I'd prefer to have on my playlist.
Thats cool, I get that.

I know it's not gonna be everyones favorite bands, but like I said if we tried to gather that list, we would probably just end up in a huge debate, so I just used what VH1 had.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:23 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
Cream(i hate zeppelin)
I will admit, I am not huge on LZ either, but I largely based my vote there on the fact that Eric Clapton was Cream's guitarist, and he is more significant than LZ any day in my book.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:23 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Thats cool, I get that.

I know it's not gonna be everyones favorite bands, but like I said if we tried to gather that list, we would probably just end up in a huge debate, so I just used what VH1 had.
To be honest, I'm a little embarrassed I don't have better musical defenses for those pics. I mean, I love music which is why I minored in it. I just haven't taken the time to examine classic rock as much as I should have.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:31 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
To be honest, I'm a little embarrassed I don't have better musical defenses for those pics. I mean, I love music which is why I minored in it. I just haven't taken the time to examine classic rock as much as I should have.
I majored in music until I realized that all I would be doing with a music degree was teaching. I also had my voice instructor/theory teacher, who I actually liked A LOT, die on me during my time in Junior College. The guy who replaced him basically crapped all over me for being in a rock band, and I left the program shorty after that. God's path is great though, because I would not have traveled the road of playing with so many great people during that time if I had stayed in college! I eventually went to one of the best audio colleges in the world and learned my true calling in music.

If you want a lesson in classic rock, just ask! I am confident in saying I am probably the village expert round here!

The Who over GNR, I will ask you that... what is it about The Who that you like, or what is about GNR you dislike?

Last edited by J.B.; 05-29-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:37 AM

Led Zepplin vs Cream
Musically Cream was masterful,
Pink Floyd vs Black Sabbath-PF just cause

Jimi Hendrix vs Soundgarden - Imagine what he would have done with more time

Queen vs AC/DC This was tough

Metallica vs The Sex Pistols nobody effs with the pistols!!

Aerosmith vs Nirvana You're mean...but

KISS vs Van Halen Detroit Rock City

Guns n Roses vs The Who Tommy, nuff said

[
Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Miss Foxy

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Soundgarden
Queen
METALLICA!!!!!
Nirvana