Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Powerbomb

Default Matt's Faith and Fighting

I have often wondered if Matt Hughes catching any hate for being a christian in the UFC. I've noticed in my walk that a lot of people seem to have a lot of anger towards us. He seemed to be ridiculed when he had the guys read Ruth on TUF when he was a coach. I have often wondered if he catches these kinds of comments often.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I think he does sometimes...but I also dont think he lets it bother him.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Just go on any other MMA website and you can read the irrational hatred that "fans" have for Matt. It really only exists on the internet and is fed by the "creative" editing of the TUF shows. But those people who would make character judgments of a person based on edited television footage are really not that intelligent to begin with.

So, in the real world, Matt gets very little hate for his beliefs. In fact, his boldness in expressing his faith is one of the main reasons that he has as devoted a fanbase as he does.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 PM
CBCS

I agree with Nate. There are some people that will ridicule you for your religious beliefs. As Nate said though, I don't think it bothers Matt. Actually I'm very proud of Matt for his beliefs and being a stand-up individual. He is somone I "look up" too. I hope others can see the qualities in him that we do.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:55 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
So, in the real world, Matt gets very little hate for his beliefs. In fact, his boldness in expressing his faith is one of the main reasons that he has as devoted a fanbase as he does.
I agree here 100%!

I have never seen a more devoted following of fans for any MMA fighter. At least not that I can think of. We also have the best forum, thanks to Nate.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 AM
rearnakedchoke

No Christian should ever get bothered for their beliefs if they are a true Christian .. Matt is a true Christian, so he doesn't care what these fools think of him ... and what would a fan of matt care what keyboard warriors say about him ....
Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Powerbomb

I was just curious how much abuse he takes as a celebrity who is a Christian. I didn't mean anything by it. I think some are getting the wrong idea about my post. I get attacked from time to time by atheists and agnostics while I am out and about in the real world. I was just curious to see if that is amplified when you have celebrity status. I have always been suprised by how much some people seem to hate on Christians even though we show love back. I think that some people think this was in some way an attack or something but it wasn't. I apologize for getting anyone riled up. Didn't realize that I should steer clear of this subject. Ill stick to fight talk from now on. Or Ill just get lost and leave these boards alone. Sorry again.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 AM
pistol-pete

I am certainly not a devoted Christian, but I support people when they are 100% committed to their beliefs, cause, or faith. And Matt Hughes may have views or beliefs that I don't but I respect the fact that he lives his life day in and day out by those beliefs and by his faith. It also boils down to the "golden rule", treat others how you would like to be treated, and I see that in Matt Hughes regardless of editing or not, he treated everyone on the show that I saw how he expected to be treated in the same situation.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:34 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbomb
I was just curious how much abuse he takes as a celebrity who is a Christian. I didn't mean anything by it. I think some are getting the wrong idea about my post. I get attacked from time to time by atheists and agnostics while I am out and about in the real world. I was just curious to see if that is amplified when you have celebrity status. I think that some people think this was in some way an attack or something but it wasn't. I apologize for getting anyone riled up. Didn't realize that I should steer clear of this subject. Ill stick to fight talk from now on.
I don't think you riled anybody up at all

I think basically everybody agrees that Matt gets some extra criticism from the handful of ignorant people out there, but honestly I don't think Matt pays any attention to them at all. Nor should he.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbomb
I was just curious how much abuse he takes as a celebrity who is a Christian. I didn't mean anything by it. I think some are getting the wrong idea about my post. I get attacked from time to time by atheists and agnostics while I am out and about in the real world. I was just curious to see if that is amplified when you have celebrity status. I have always been suprised by how much some people seem to hate on Christians even though we show love back. I think that some people think this was in some way an attack or something but it wasn't. I apologize for getting anyone riled up. Didn't realize that I should steer clear of this subject. Ill stick to fight talk from now on. Or Ill just get lost and leave these boards alone. Sorry again.
It takes a lot more than that to rile anyone up around here. We are very proud to be fans of the the greatest WW of all time for many reasons besides just his fighting record so forgive us if we sound a little defensive of him. You won't find a more devoted fan base anywhere in mma.

~Amy

My son made this for me: