Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 05-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOnTheBrightLights
Well my point is that I'm for Gay Marriage, and mainly because I don't think being gay is a choice. I won't lie, the act makes me uncomfortable, but I'm not outraged by it either. People are who they are, and they can't help it.

I'm trying to be as respectful as possible with this. I can see why people would be against it. Its definitely a controversial subject to say the least.
You are being respectful and so am I. If I am making you feel uncomfortable I apologize in advance. Usually I don't get too crazy unless its regarding Serra, GSP.
I disagree although we can debate for years and years over the topic if someone is born gay or not they have a choice to act upon it.
You stated the act makes you uncomfortable? I agree thats why I don't want my children to see a gay couple parade around town living as man and wife....Imagine how a 6yr old processes that?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:42 PM
TurnOnTheBrightLights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
You are being respectful and so am I. If I am making you feel uncomfortable I apologize in advance. Usually I don't get too crazy unless its regarding Serra, GSP.
I disagree although we can debate for years and years over the topic if someone is born gay or not they have a choice to act upon it.
You stated the act makes you uncomfortable? I agree thats why I don't want my children to see a gay couple parade around town living as man and wife....Imagine how a 6yr old processes that?
Everyone here is being respectful. I just said it cause I know its a very sensitive topic and other forums I've been on can get a bit heated (though everyone here seems a lot more mature, which is refreshing when it comes to the internet), as it should be.

The thing about it making me uncomfortable, I think it has to do with the way I was raised (Irish Catholic upbringing).
Old 05-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Crisco

Quote:
I'll have the unpopular opinion here, but hey thats what America's all about right?

Anywho, I'm conflicted with the Gay Marriage debate.

I don't think you should deny someone from seeing their sick loved one in the hospital and stuff like that, so I'd say I'm in favor of Gay Marriage. Just because I don't agree with homosexuality doesn't mean I have the right to deprive someone of the right to form some sort of union with someone else.
Believe it or not close to everyone here believes they should have the same legal rights as regular married couple. The thing we disagree is on is whether they should actually be called marriages.

Civil unions with the same rights is fine with me. It is not a marriage.

The liberal arguement is what's the difference then?

I agree. What is the difference? Take your civil union and be happy.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM
TurnOnTheBrightLights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Believe it or not close to everyone here believes they should have the same legal rights as regular married couple. The thing we disagree is on is whether they should actually be called marriages.

Civil unions with the same rights is fine with me. It is not a marriage.

The liberal arguement is what's the difference then?

I agree. What is the difference? Take your civil union and be happy.
I can agree with that.

To me anyways, "marriage' is more of a religious ceremony/practice.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Crisco

Quote:
I can agree with that.

To me anyways, "marriage' is more of a religious ceremony/practice.
EXACTLY!

So you didn't really know it but you agreed with us
Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
I am against gay marriage. I believe we must sanctify marriages. I believe allowing same-sex marriages is just allowing our children to see perversions. I think it is confusing to a young mind.
Is it as confusing as a parent with child having a sexual relationship with another unmarried person?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
Why if he got divorced? What if it that will make me happy, being married to a married man?

You're using 'the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness' gig but there has to be boundaries. That isn't open ended.

You see where I am going with this.....

If you get married, wouldn't you then be married to a married person?

To me your argument doesn't hold water. The reason being when 2 gay men/women marry, they aren't breaking up a relationship in order to marry, where in your scenario you are. There is quite a difference.

What if because of a certain sin you commit on a daily or weekly basis, you were denied marriage? Yeah I know it is a "what if" question, but it seems that the ones wishing to deny others something based on a religious value are casting stones while being guilty of many sins themselves. Marriage isn't only for religious people, so perhaps the gay couples don't see their orientation as being morally wrong.

Have to go, would love to continue this later. Have a great day all.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard
Is it as confusing as a parent with child having a sexual relationship with another unmarried person?
Well, that's wrong as well. Of course it happens, but those people aren't asking to be "sanctified" by the state.

The problem here is that somewhere along the line a few people have started to consider gay sex as normal and as healthy as hetero sex. I would disagree with that and most people who are against gay marriage would as well. It's a perversion of the natural use of the human body, there is nothing healthy or normal about it and the last thing we need to do is teach our children that it is acceptable behavior.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard
Marriage isn't only for religious people,
Since when?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Since when?