Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Actually, yes, a lot of it IS semantics Buzzard.

I guess you don't know much about our constitution (you are from Canada right?), but if we just permitted "marriage" to homosexuals, then under equal protection, the 14th Amendment, we would have to allow ANYBODY to get married. It may sound like small cookies, and something we could easily stop, but it's still very real.

There is also a lot of principal involved in the matter. The majority of people in the country do NOT condone homosexuality no matter how much you try to argue that it is wrong or bigoted. As long as people are given the chance to vote on the issue, it will be shot-down. It also don't matter how much you try to argue that people are born gay, nobody really cares to hear it because there is no DEFINITIVE evidence that proves it. When the day comes that there is, it will still be probably 50 to 100 years before it's truly accepted among mainstream society, and even then they will still be ridiculed and a VAST minority.

I personally could care less if two guys or two girls want to get "married", but I also don't think we should have to change our personal views in order to suit them. As long as it's put before a vote, I will vote against it because I don't see it as right. Furthermore, when it comes to "benefits" of marriage, I don't really see any unless you have children, at least from a monetary/tax aspect. I don't know any gay couples who can have children outside of a lab, so I think it's easy to see where even some liberal minded people see a difference between hetero marriage and gay marriage.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-29-2009, 06:33 AM
Buzzard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Actually, yes, a lot of it IS semantics Buzzard.

I guess you don't know much about our constitution (you are from Canada right?), but if we just permitted "marriage" to homosexuals, then under equal protection, the 14th Amendment, we would have to allow ANYBODY to get married. It may sound like small cookies, and something we could easily stop, but it's still very real.

There is also a lot of principal involved in the matter. The majority of people in the country do NOT condone homosexuality no matter how much you try to argue that it is wrong or bigoted. As long as people are given the chance to vote on the issue, it will be shot-down. It also don't matter how much you try to argue that people are born gay, nobody really cares to hear it because there is no DEFINITIVE evidence that proves it. When the day comes that there is, it will still be probably 50 to 100 years before it's truly accepted among mainstream society, and even then they will still be ridiculed and a VAST minority.

I personally could care less if two guys or two girls want to get "married", but I also don't think we should have to change our personal views in order to suit them. As long as it's put before a vote, I will vote against it because I don't see it as right. Furthermore, when it comes to "benefits" of marriage, I don't really see any unless you have children, at least from a monetary/tax aspect. I don't know any gay couples who can have children outside of a lab, so I think it's easy to see where even some liberal minded people see a difference between hetero marriage and gay marriage.
Nope, from the good old USA. I actually misstated the life, liberty, pursuit of happiness as being from the Constitution originally, but clarified it as being from the DOI. While I don't know the constitution by heart, I am familiar enough with it to know what needs to be known, and if I have questions, I'll look it up.

The majority of people won't be the ones being denied marriage. You can still keep your views while allowing them to be married.

There are many marriage benefits which you are unaware of, doesn't mean that they aren't there.

Do you ridicule them because they wish to be legally joined? If so, why?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-29-2009, 06:47 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard
Nope, from the good old USA. I actually misstated the life, liberty, pursuit of happiness as being from the Constitution originally, but clarified it as being from the DOI. While I don't know the constitution by heart, I am familiar enough with it to know what needs to be known, and if I have questions, I'll look it up.

The majority of people won't be the ones being denied marriage. You can still keep your views while allowing them to be married.

There are many marriage benefits which you are unaware of, doesn't mean that they aren't there.

Do you ridicule them because they wish to be legally joined? If so, why?
Oh, I thought you were from Canada for some reason, my bad! Where r u from?

1. Well, no, I can't actually keep my views and allow them "marriage" as you say, because I will admit, as I already did, it is partially about semantics.

2. Okay, you are right, there are other benefits, but they are relatively small unless you have children. You know that, and I know that. Sure, they are there, and I don't really care if gay people get them, but you are still asking me to change my belief structure by giving them those same rights. It may sound silly, but it's true. As long as it's an issue that is being put up for a vote, you are going to get a majority vote against it because most people just don't think it's right.

3. I try not to ridicule them at all, because in my view they are just sinners, no better or worse than any of us. I just don't approve of the homosexual way of life, and it's not something I will ever see myself condoning. Does that make sense to you?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard
How will you benefit now that CA has banned gay marriages? How do you feel about interracial marriages?

Boy, they sure showed them gays something, huh?
It was this statement that was rude. Incase you didn't realize I felt I should point it out to you.

Avoid me if you wish. "It doesn't effect me one way or another physically or financially"

Oh and for future reference you should probably add emotionally to that.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,471
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
Entitled to???

What if I was in love with a married man? Would I be entitled to be able to marry him just because I loved him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard
If he got divorced, yes.
Why if he got divorced? What if it that will make me happy, being married to a married man?

You're using 'the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness' gig but there has to be boundaries. That isn't open ended.

You see where I am going with this.....
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I am against gay marriage. I believe we must sanctify marriages. I believe allowing same-sex marriages is just allowing our children to see perversions. I think it is confusing to a young mind.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-29-2009, 02:06 PM
TurnOnTheBrightLights
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'll have the unpopular opinion here, but hey thats what America's all about right?

Anywho, I'm conflicted with the Gay Marriage debate.

I don't think you should deny someone from seeing their sick loved one in the hospital and stuff like that, so I'd say I'm in favor of Gay Marriage. Just because I don't agree with homosexuality doesn't mean I have the right to deprive someone of the right to form some sort of union with someone else.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard
How will you benefit now that CA has banned gay marriages? How do you feel about interracial marriages?

Boy, they sure showed them gays something, huh?
I don't think the race card can be used on this one. Gay marriage is morally wrong. Interracial marriages is a personal decision the anatomy would still be male and female no matter what the color is. I don't understand whats wrong with some people and the whole speech about this doesnt affect them? It should! Where are we gonna draw the line as a nation?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Miss Foxy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOnTheBrightLights
I'll have the unpopular opinion here, but hey thats what America's all about right?

Anywho, I'm conflicted with the Gay Marriage debate.

I don't think you should deny someone from seeing their sick loved one in the hospital and stuff like that, so I'd say I'm in favor of Gay Marriage. Just because I don't agree with homosexuality doesn't mean I have the right to deprive someone of the right to form some sort of union with someone else.
If you really disagreed with homosexuality you would not be for Gay Marriage. You are either with it or against it.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-29-2009, 02:24 PM
TurnOnTheBrightLights
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
If you really disagreed with homosexuality you would not be for Gay Marriage. You are either with it or against it.
Well my point is that I'm for Gay Marriage, and mainly because I don't think being gay is a choice. I won't lie, the act makes me uncomfortable, but I'm not outraged by it either. People are who they are, and they can't help it.

I'm trying to be as respectful as possible with this. I can see why people would be against it. Its definitely a controversial subject to say the least.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.