Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 05-29-2009, 05:21 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard

I'm actually disappointed in those who wish to deny others the benefits in which they are entitled to, namely marrying the one they love.

Entitled to???

What if I was in love with a married man? Would I be entitled to be able to marry him just because I loved him?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The ones who are against it have nothing to lose, therefor it doesn't hurt them emotionally or financially. Imagine if you were told you weren't allowed to marry the one you love and wished to be bonded with for life, enjoying the liberties and freedoms that a marriage entails.
Liberties and freedoms? Obviously you've never been married.

Quote:
I'm actually disappointed in those who wish to deny others the benefits in which they are entitled to, namely marrying the one they love.
I would disagree. Marriage is not a right, it's a privilege, and no one is entitled to it. In fact, why are people entitled to these benefits just because they get married? Why can't a single person enjoy some of these benefits and entitlements as well?

Show me where the Constitution guarantees the "right of marriage."

I personally believe that the government shouldn't even be involved in the marriage business. Either you get married in a church or you don't get married at all. What about atheists? You ask. Why do atheists care about marriage in the first place?

Quote:
Evidence has already been offered up to you to show that there is a strong possibility that being gay is not a choice for some. You just don't accept it. I think the blacks that voted against it are just as wrong as any other people of any other race who voted against it.
Yeah, I remember, your "evidence" wasn't evidence at all. The only people it convinced were those who already believed that people are born gay. Not to mention those people who are dumb enough to believe that the internet is a reliable source of information.

Quote:
I don't need to as I know where they stand on that issue. I disagree with them on that issue and others believe it or not.
But it shoots down your silly notion that this is somehow tied with racism.

Quote:
We've been through this before. We are not a democracy, but a republic. Remember when Tyburn added that we were a federal republic?
We are also a government of, by and for the people. Our government is a servant to the will of the people, not the other way around.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR

I would disagree. Marriage is not a right, it's a privilege, and no one is entitled to it. In fact, why are people entitled to these benefits just because they get married? Why can't a single person enjoy some of these benefits and entitlements as well?

I personally believe that the government shouldn't even be involved in the marriage business. Either you get married in a church or you don't get married at all. What about atheists? You ask. Why do atheists care about marriage in the first place?

Yeah, I remember, your "evidence" wasn't evidence at all. The only people it convinced were those who already believed that people are born gay. Not to mention those people who are dumb enough to believe that the internet is a reliable source of information.

We are also a government of, by and for the people. Our government is a servant to the will of the people, not the other way around.

Liberties and freedoms are definitely NOT condusive to a cohesive and enduring marriage. I guess he hasn't heard about that "ball and chain" clause you guys are always complaining about.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:35 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
lol. How do you benefit from them allowing gay marriages?
I have nothing at stake in the issue, just like you. I don't feel the need to deny them their ability to pursue "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Quote:
Why does it matter if I benefit from them banning it? It's an issue I and apparently most people in California feel strongly about.
I'm asking if you do. What effect does it have on you? Does it hurt you financially, physically?

Quote:
I have no issue what so ever with civil unions.
So it's just semantics?

Quote:
A marriage is between a man(of any color) and a woman(of any color).
That's not the way it always was.

Quote:
I'm sorry if the people voted against you this time.
I don't live there and didn't vote on the issue. It doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Quote:
I don't really like your tone.
I really don't care. You've been quite rude to me and if you want to dish it, expect to take it.

Quote:
It was actually very rude and it made me want to punch you square in your face. I figured I'd say something about it so it didn't fester and come out in an unrelated post. I apologize for those feelings but I personally believe you know full well you deserve them.
What was rude? Nothing. You just have issues that you should maybe work on. You act like such a childish punk. You aren't worth my time anymore. We'll talk when you grow up some.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
Entitled to???

What if I was in love with a married man? Would I be entitled to be able to marry him just because I loved him?
If he got divorced, yes.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
I've suffered with my friends through their marriages.

Quote:
Some of the benefits a single person would have no use for. There are tax benefits married folks who chose to have kids get that I don't feel are right either.

Quote:
I believe it falls under the scope from the DOI.

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Quote:
You wish to use religion to deny someone the chance for marriage. Atheists still wish to form a marital bond with their partner. Why would you wish to deny this? Isn't it better for society and families for a bond of marriage to be given rather than have a society full of unwed people cohabitating which may lead to promiscuity and then possibly a deterioration of the family structure?

Quote:
You just don't agree with it, but there are many out there that do agree with the evidence I linked to. You yourself seem to use the internet to garner information. What does that make you?

Quote:
The issue wasn't about racism, but how due to views of society, marriages weren't allowed. I already explained that though. If you choose not to accept it fine, I feel no need to further expand on my response. I think I stated my intentions with clarity.

Quote:
What about the people it is doing a dis-service to?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie

Liberties and freedoms are definitely NOT condusive to a cohesive and enduring marriage. I guess he hasn't heard about that "ball and chain" clause you guys are always complaining about.
I see the ball and chain every time my married friends are permitted by their wives to go out. The better leash is now the cell phone.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Dude, I gotta say, you need to learn how to stop talking to yourself!

I'll let you in on a little type: multi-quote within a single post!!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Dude, I gotta say, you need to learn how to stop talking to yourself!

I'll let you in on a little type: multi-quote within a single post!!
I've got to get my post count up, and this is how I do it. I like to give everyone the attention that they deserve. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely give it a thought in my next series of replies.

p.s. Congrats on graduating. How do you like post-college life?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:12 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Meh. I'll like it more once I get a job.