Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-31-2009, 08:32 PM

Default ESPN Confirms that Rampage is next in line at 205, not Machida!

During the live weigh-in's on ESPN yesterday they announced that whether he wins or not, Lyoto Machida is not the #1 contender at 205. They spoke with Dana White who said that Rampage is the #1 contender for LHW.

They also said that should BJ win, he will have the choice of which belt to defend first. Kenny is the #1 contender at LW and Alves is #1 at WW.

[
Old 01-31-2009, 09:10 PM
MMeh

Wow, good find, I didn't see that yesterday. I wonder what Machida will have to do to get a shot. And nobody say "stop being boring" - even if, like me, you don't find his style terribly entertaining, one of the things I (used to) like about the UFC was unlike boxing, the #1 contender was determined through competition, not popularity. Machida deserves first crack at Rashad if he wins tonight (and this coming from a Rampage fan)
Old 01-31-2009, 09:13 PM
warriorlion

so do you think that should Lyoto get KO'd that Silva should get the shot???

Last edited by warriorlion; 01-31-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorlion
so do you think that hould Lyoto get KO#d that Silva should get the shot???
Yeah (not that it will happpen) or at least fight Rampage for the spot.
They mentioned that Lyoto doesn't draw a crowd the way that Rampage does. I think the whole reasoning behind the Tito fight was to build up Machida's popularity.

[
Old 01-31-2009, 09:28 PM

Oooooo BJ has a choice to make after he beats GSP tonight. I would love to see him destroy Alves first, then wreck Florian's dreams !
Old 01-31-2009, 09:38 PM
ufcfan2

Quote:
so do you think that hould Lyoto get KO#d that Silva should get the shot???
I think that as well...As much as Dana hates the boxing system hes doing the samething whatever sells ppv...
Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R
Oooooo BJ has a choice to make after he beats GSP tonight. I would love to see him destroy Alves first, then wreck Florian's dreams !
alves would kill BJ but BJ would kill Florian. Iam not evan an alves fan but GSP will have a hard time beating him
Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 PM
warriorlion

Quote:
I think that as well...As much as Dana hates the boxing system hes doing the samething whatever sells ppv...
you have to understand it though!!!!

He is running a business, and to sell ppv you need to draw in a crowd, excite the fans, lyoto does what he does well, shuts down other fighters. but lets face it what would you rather watch, a fighter that wins but puts you to sleep because unless you are a karate guru and appreciate the methodical nature of the dragon (with coming from a karate background i sort of do - however the average fan is not) he is not interesting to watch, or someone that my not always win but the fights are high paced, constant action.

from a selling point of view, lyoto as champ doesnt fit, its more profitable having guida on the card who is 4-3 in the ufc than it is to have lyoto who is 5-0. simply as lyoto has one finish in 5 all the rest decisions and not exciting fights aside from the souk one which i was impressed with lyoto.

although guiada has gine 4 decisions and 3 finishes, even the decisions have been excing with some controversy to them as well.

i know we are talking different weight classes, but you could say the same thing for at least one fighter on each class, except maybe hw
Old 01-31-2009, 09:57 PM
warriorlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
alves would kill BJ but BJ would kill Florian. Iam not evan an alves fan but GSP will have a hard time beating him

sorry but no - alves would be bj breakfast, get him on the ground and that leg kick of alves is useless. bj wins that 1st round by rnc.

the florian result i agree with.

GSP would out box, out wrestle and out class alves, look at how he owned kos, alves beat him, but did not look good doing it, i dont think alves beats fitch
Old 01-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
sorry but no - alves would be bj breakfast, get him on the ground and that leg kick of alves is useless. bj wins that 1st round by rnc.

the florian result i agree with.

GSP would out box, out wrestle and out class alves, look at how he owned kos, alves beat him, but did not look good doing it, i dont think alves beats fitch
I agree for the most part with the gsp part but I think on there feet it would be alot closer than you think. I still think gsp would win in both fights I just think alves is a harder fight