Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
Isn't that what he was saying? I think if I read his post right you guys are in agreement. He was saying that Machida has changed his style to include power right?

you know.. that's EXACTLY what he was saying..

I went back and I realize that I misread his post.

My VERY bad.

Sorry about that.
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-26-2009, 01:33 AM
Josh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Haha I have done that countless times. At least you didn't get all worked up like I have in the past, only to later realize the person was agreeing with me.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 AM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
his style (base) is "Machida Karate."

his father adapted it from Shotokan.

much like Royce's dad adapted the Jiu Jitsu he learned from Japanese masters.
Ya know, that's a correlation that I never caught onto before. The only two truly undefeated champions the UFC has ever had are both Brazilians using a Japanese martial art their fathers modified to be more effective for smaller fighters.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Ya know, that's a correlation that I never caught onto before. The only two truly undefeated champions the UFC has ever had are both Brazilians using a Japanese martial art their fathers modified to be more effective for smaller fighters.
That depends if you consider Royce a champion and if you consider Matt plowing into the back of his head for a few seconds until the ref pulled him off undefeated.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-26-2009, 02:48 PM
clm12704
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
he says his base is Machida Karate. he goes on and on about "his Karate." talks about how his Karate style can't be prepared for.

i think it's safe to say Machida believes he's using Karate. i think i'll listen to him. GSP isn't anywhere near Machida in Karate, so of course no one will say GSP is using Karate.

is Machida a mixed martial artist? yes, since he studies BJJ and Judo. but does he use his Karate almost exclusively? most definitely....hence all the talk of him being a Karate guy.
This.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-26-2009, 06:46 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
That depends if you consider Royce a champion and if you consider Matt plowing into the back of his head for a few seconds until the ref pulled him off undefeated.
Well, he certainly was undefeated during his reign as champion. I mean, walked through UFCs 1 & 2. Won 2 fights in UFC 3 before pulling out due to injury. Won UFC 4.

So, yes, I consider him to be have been a 3x champion & I consider him to have been undefeated. Just because later in his career he lost the belt & then got smashed doesn't change the fact that he was an undefeated champ. Just like this past loss doesn't change the fact that Rashad was an undefeated champ.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Well, he certainly was undefeated during his reign as champion. I mean, walked through UFCs 1 & 2. Won 2 fights in UFC 3 before pulling out due to injury. Won UFC 4.

So, yes, I consider him to be have been a 3x champion & I consider him to have been undefeated. Just because later in his career he lost the belt & then got smashed doesn't change the fact that he was an undefeated champ. Just like this past loss doesn't change the fact that Rashad was an undefeated champ.
I dunno dude I disagree.

If that is the case then you have 3 undefeated champs not just one. Rashad included.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-26-2009, 08:13 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I dunno dude I disagree.

If that is the case then you have 3 undefeated champs not just one. Rashad included.
Exactly.

Just like Matt Hughes has said many times, you are not really the champ until you defend your belt. I like Evans, but he failed to do that, obviously.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Well, he certainly was undefeated during his reign as champion. I mean, walked through UFCs 1 & 2. Won 2 fights in UFC 3 before pulling out due to injury. Won UFC 4.

So, yes, I consider him to be have been a 3x champion & I consider him to have been undefeated. Just because later in his career he lost the belt & then got smashed doesn't change the fact that he was an undefeated champ. Just like this past loss doesn't change the fact that Rashad was an undefeated champ.
Whaa?
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,324
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Whaa?
Right up until about 9:30pm PST on Saturday, Rashad was the undefeated UFC LHW Champ. Right up until UFC 5 (when he fought to a draw w/ Shamrock), Royce was an undefeated champ, as well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.