Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-25-2009, 07:25 PM
TDPARKASH
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Machida's effective transition from Karate

Many people have been bringing up how Machida is now comfortable in the Octogan and can now successfully implement his style of Karate. Being familar with Karate and Tae-known do, I actually think he's slightly changed his style in recent fights in order to become more effective in MMA competition. With point fight Karate tournaments, additonal points are not giving out for harder punches or kicks. Basically, if you hit the person clean above the belt, you get a point. Therefore, the focus is on speed and not necesarily the power. Machida's philosophy in his early fights heavily mimiced this style because as he would jump in and out............he would look for a quick point and get back out of "striking zone". As this philosophy earned him points from the UFC judges, he didn't boast well with his fans. I think especially in the last two fights, he is exposing himself in the striking zone more so to either get additional power shots or follow up with 2 or 3 punch combos. Rashad actually did get a combo in early in the second round as Machida led with a two punch combo.............this would have never have happened in his early fights. Anyhow, It still seems like Machida is very hard to hit and with his new adaption of Karate, I think the only strategy for success is going to be cutting angles and using dirty boxing while moving forward (similar to how Randy did in the first chuck fight)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,838
Default

He's certainly more exciting in the last few fights thats for sure. The Lyoto that ive seen on TV, wasnt the same guy I watched live at UFC70
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Liddellfan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

No doubt about it, he is improving and has become a seemingly dangerous striker. After a few more fights, maybe Dana will label him as the P4P greatest??? If you watched the fight he was telling Machida that he was a "bad man". He must have said it to him 10 times. Only time will tell how great of a fighter he will actually be.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM
clm12704
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPARKASH
As this philosophy earned him points from the UFC judges, he didn't boast well with his fans.
It's always worked for me. I've always liked his style, but now I REALLY like it. I personally haven't been too disappointed in the Spiders recent performances either. I prefer a tactical and strategic striking fight as opposed to a wrestling match any day. Not to say I don't enjoy the grappling... just preference.

Now we have two champs with a strong karate base. SWEEP THE LEG!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

his style (base) is "Machida Karate."

his father adapted it from Shotokan.

much like Royce's dad adapted the Jiu Jitsu he learned from Japanese masters.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2009, 08:42 PM
TDPARKASH
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I guess my point was more along the lines of the general philosophy that most "Karate" discplines have, in contrast to Muay thai. A general fluidness between transitions that focus on a strong stance, distance and timing of the strikes. Kicks are snapped back to fighting stance, as opposed to followed through like Muay thai. If you notice Machida's punches, they will almost always be straight punches that will generate most of their power as he spins his wrists at the last second. This general style is much different then boxing, muay thai........as you are taught to keep your wrists straight on a jab or cross. See Rampage is an awesome boxer, and i think he can be effective if he can do dirty boxing with body shots, upper cuts and hooks.

Karate philosophies are all about distance and timing. If you take distance away, you have won half the battle.

I am not saying Machida's clinch game is not good, it is, but Rampage has to be better and really work the body with dirty boxing to have a chance. If he stays on the outside and tries to counter, it will be a short night for him.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

What styles of Karate/TDK do you do/familiar with?

In Karate there are 7 scoring criteria that a competitor must meet to score. None have to do with power.

In both AAU (armature athletic union) and USANKF (United States of Amercia National Karate Federation), you score as follows:

USANKF
1 point any punch to the front of the head/ body
2 points any kick to the front or back of the body
3 points any kick to the head or a sweep that ends with a scoring tenique, including a punch to the face.

AAU
1/2 point for any punch or kick
1 point for the same, but meeting all criteria

I am a multi state/multi year champion in karate in both AAU and NKF in NC, SC and GA in the 35+ age group in the (currently) intermediate age and experience. For both Kata and Kumite. I was 2nd place in AAU and third in the nation for USANKF in kumite.

My instructors and friends are National champions (3 times over) and World champions (5 times over)

I have never been taught by any Hanshi, Shi-Han, Tashi or Sensei that power earns more points.

I am currently a NKF and AAU judge ( I hope to upgrade to referee this summer.. shouldn't be a problem but you never know..)

I have never given "extra credit" for hitting harder.

In the 08 SC State and the NC State in 09 (two days ago) I was given a warning for "excessive contact".

In Kyokushin Kaarate (think GSP), there is no head contact allowed via a punch.

Karate tourneys are all about SPEED, not power. The rational is that if you can hit with SPEED, you have do the same with power. In the NFK and AAU, you do not have to actually hit to score. If you exercise that disicple that allows you to to come within 1 inch (pretty much) and retract the blow, you are given the point.

In the AAU Summer Games, Region 4 (two days ago) I broke a guys hand (his bones were sticking through the skin) and I thought I would be DQ'ed, but they rules that is was his fault for blocking poorly.

Also there was a TKD tourney goin on at the same time.. and I am NOT knocking TDK..( I did it for two years)....there is not much power in TDK tourneys required.. and I saw several penalties for excessive contacts.

See photos of me for pics from two days ago via Facebook.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushin


What tourneys are you familiar with?


Had this been a Karate guys disgracing himself, his country, his dojo and his Sensei, the ref would have been at least KO'ed...

http://www.fandome.com/video/103733/...qualification/

http://www.truveo.com/Cuban-Taekwond...f/id/758518485 (2:28 mark)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushin


Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPARKASH
Many people have been bringing up how Machida is now comfortable in the Octogan and can now successfully implement his style of Karate. Being familar with Karate and Tae-known do, I actually think he's slightly changed his style in recent fights in order to become more effective in MMA competition. With point fight Karate tournaments, additonal points are not giving out for harder punches or kicks. Basically, if you hit the person clean above the belt, you get a point. Therefore, the focus is on speed and not necesarily the power. Machida's philosophy in his early fights heavily mimiced this style because as he would jump in and out............he would look for a quick point and get back out of "striking zone". As this philosophy earned him points from the UFC judges, he didn't boast well with his fans. I think especially in the last two fights, he is exposing himself in the striking zone more so to either get additional power shots or follow up with 2 or 3 punch combos. Rashad actually did get a combo in early in the second round as Machida led with a two punch combo.............this would have never have happened in his early fights. Anyhow, It still seems like Machida is very hard to hit and with his new adaption of Karate, I think the only strategy for success is going to be cutting angles and using dirty boxing while moving forward (similar to how Randy did in the first chuck fight)
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Josh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
What styles of Karate/TDK do you do/familiar with?

In Karate there are 7 scoring criteria that a competitor must meet to score. None have to do with power.

In both AAU (armature athletic union) and USANKF (United States of Amercia National Karate Federation), you score as follows:

USANKF
1 point any punch to the front of the head/ body
2 points any kick to the front or back of the body
3 points any kick to the head or a sweep that ends with a scoring tenique, including a punch to the face.

AAU
1/2 point for any punch or kick
1 point for the same, but meeting all criteria

I am a multi state/multi year champion in karate in both AAU and NKF in NC, SC and GA in the 35+ age group in the (currently) intermediate age and experience. For both Kata and Kumite. I was 2nd place in AAU and third in the nation for USANKF in kumite.

My instructors and friends are National champions (3 times over) and World champions (5 times over)

I have never been taught by any Hanshi, Shi-Han, Tashi or Sensei that power earns more points.

I am currently a NKF and AAU judge ( I hope to upgrade to referee this summer.. shouldn't be a problem but you never know..)

I have never given "extra credit" for hitting harder.

In the 08 SC State and the NC State in 09 (two days ago) I was given a warning for "excessive contact".

In Kyokushin Kaarate (think GSP), there is no head contact allowed via a punch.

Karate tourneys are all about SPEED, not power. The rational is that if you can hit with SPEED, you have do the same with power. In the NFK and AAU, you do not have to actually hit to score. If you exercise that disicple that allows you to to come within 1 inch (pretty much) and retract the blow, you are given the point.

In the AAU Summer Games, Region 4 (two days ago) I broke a guys hand (his bones were sticking through the skin) and I thought I would be DQ'ed, but they rules that is was his fault for blocking poorly.

Also there was a TKD tourney goin on at the same time.. and I am NOT knocking TDK..( I did it for two years)....there is not much power in TDK tourneys required.. and I saw several penalties for excessive contacts.

See photos of me for pics from two days ago via Facebook.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushin


What tourneys are you familiar with?


Had this been a Karate guys disgracing himself, his country, his dojo and his Sensei, the ref would have been at least KO'ed...

http://www.fandome.com/video/103733/...qualification/

http://www.truveo.com/Cuban-Taekwond...f/id/758518485 (2:28 mark)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushin
Isn't that what he was saying? I think if I read his post right you guys are in agreement. He was saying that Machida has changed his style to include power right?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

he is a mixed martial artist .. all this crap about karate is stupid ... sure he started out with karate, but to say that it is in the true form is nonsense ... it was adapted to fit the style of fighting found in mma, vale tudo etc. it is like saying that GSP is a karate practicioner .. sure he started off that way, but he is good at everything much like machida ... if he only studied karate, that is one thing, but he studies everything like a mmartist does ... if he didn't he wouldn't be as good
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

he says his base is Machida Karate. he goes on and on about "his Karate." talks about how his Karate style can't be prepared for.

i think it's safe to say Machida believes he's using Karate. i think i'll listen to him. GSP isn't anywhere near Machida in Karate, so of course no one will say GSP is using Karate.

is Machida a mixed martial artist? yes, since he studies BJJ and Judo. but does he use his Karate almost exclusively? most definitely....hence all the talk of him being a Karate guy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.