Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 05-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer
Default Boomer Tale: UFC 98

HAIL HAIL FORUM OF FORUMS WE HAVE RETURNED FOR THE FIELD OF BATTLE VICTORIUS!!!!! OUR ENEMIES LAY WASTED AND THE AIR HAS NEVER SMELLED SO SWEET WITH THE BLOOD FROM THE SLANE!!!!

To do this tale justice I must take us back to a country far from the life we know. A country where things like bathrooms, clean beds and dare I say Matt Hughes forums are not common place in everyday life. Yes a place does such exist and for the past four months I have been in the mix of a messed up war with a messed up administration taking the reigns after the election. The establishment of new us forces command, new policies and working with NATO has aged me more then I care to think about in this short amount of time. When I found out that Matt was fighting in May and I was in the chaos that is Afghanistan my heart fell from my chest. How could Matt go to war without me there? Who would stalk him at elevators, who would wear overalls and scream like a prepubescent teen if he should happen to pass by in an open hall way … who would Matt roll his eyes at because as he walks in the room you have to brace yourself to keep from falling over. I mean besides Nate. WHO?? With all those questions and no solid answers … my only choice was to make it to the fight … somehow, someway ….. I'll jump across the ocean and be on the battlefield when the country sage dawns his weapons of war. After some intense negotiations, I got the go ahead .. and so I landed in Washington DC a few days earlier then expected the week before the fight.

I had planned on getting to Vegas Thursday night and leave on Sunday, but after talking to Nater .. he was arriving on Wednesday and an extra day with Matt and his crew is never a bad thing so I changed my tickets up to fly in a day early. The flight went quick and I ended up landing in Vegas about 45 mins early. I got my rental car .. got checked into the MGM Grand, and after I check my room out, I sent Matt a text that I'm there and he tells me to come over to his room. I hop on the elevator, zoom down a few floors and walk in Matt's room. He is kicked back with his feet up on the table, Marc Fiore is sitt'n on the couch. They were watching the movie Slum Dog Millionaire. I had not seen the flick so they caught me up on what I had missed and it ended up being a really good movie. It was a little odd in that, many of the scenes from India reminded me of some places in Afghanistan …. and I think that was the first time it sunk in that a few days ago I was in that crap and now I was sitting in one of the most modern hotels mankind had to offer with all the hot water one could ever need in a room of world class fighters. Gotta love this modern world we live in.

After the flick Nater sends me a text his flight had landed and will be at the hotel soon. Sure enough Nate arrives and I fetch him in the lobby and take him up to the room. After we all get settled in and order some room service … Matt was going down to do his nightly training for the weight cut. Went four rounds of grappling and 3 rounds of boxing. This was the first time that I met up with the rest of Matt's crew. He had a full host of support. Of the regulars of course you had RUTHLESS Robbie Lawler, Matt Pena, Marc Fiore, Matt Veach and Tony Zucca. In addition to that I had the pleasure of meeting and watching Matt roll with Damarques Johnson from Jeremy Horns gym out of Salt Lake City. I think stylistically with his Jits he was good at countering wrestling moves so he was a good sparring partner for Matt for this fight. Demarcques is in the season finale of the ultimate fighter reality show. I wish him the best fight he can have and hope he gets that UFC contract. It was really good to see Matt Pena again. My fellow former Marine bud is Matt's boxing coach and has been training world class fighters for some years now. Drew McFredries was also in the mix and when Matt was rolling with Demarcques or Robbie … Drew was working stand up with Pena and then he and Matt would switch. This happened every night around 930 until the weigh in. I thought it kind of odd that the camp would wait so late to train. Matt actually got asked this question by someone when I was in the room and he says he likes to get his body use to fighting at the time he would be fighting the night of the event. Perl of wisdom … the country sage strikes again …

One common occurrence every night at training would be Matt Veach curled up in a corner about as pale as death itself and making noises that would scare a banshee. I asked Zucca if he was ok and he said they were just allergies, but honestly I thought the grim reaper would going to walk through the door any minute. Turns out though, I guess they were just allergies and come to find out he is naturally pasty white. He was feeling better by the time it was all said and done and have to admit really enjoyed the chance to get to know him and Zucca this time around. Veach Can't hold his Jack very good though .... I'm upset at missing Veach and Robbie's fight in the up coming months …. but I guess soon enough Ill be home for good.

Another great couple of guys I met were Marcus Luttrell and his brother Scott. Before they got up to Matt's hotel room one of the nights, Matt told me some folks were coming up and he asked if I had read the book “Lone Survivor”? I hadn't and for some reason I left the room and came back a little later. When I got back into the room Marcus and his brother were there and Matt introduces us, but I didn't make the connection that this was the author of the book. Matt has folks come see him all the time and these guys where more of just the good'ol down to earth type folks that Matt would normally just associate with. If you read Marcus' book, you'll see the story of his SEAL team operating in Afghanistan and how he was the only one that made it back. I want to read the book, but maybe after I get back from my own little war over there. Haha Just reading the reviews on it made me tear up. I tell them a little bit about where I work and ask him if he had been in the military. His humble answer was he had done a little time. It wasn't until listening to other convos I put two and two together. The next day walking down the hall I apologize for not knowing him, misquote the title of his book and continually put my foot in my mouth. He and his brother though were just really good folks. Scott works as a fireman in my old stomping grounds in Houston. That night we all went out to eat at a restaurant called Lucille's a BBQ place Matt discovered during season 2 of TUF. Markus got us a limo to take over. That was my first and probably only time I have and ever will be in one. Very cool. Marcus was the really tall guy that walked out with Matt if you watched the PPV.

Friday comes around and my phone lights up with all the forumites that made the trek to go to war with Matt. Tennessean, Sender, llamafighter, primadawn, TexasRN, VCUramfan, spiritwarrior, SugarShane, gymcoach the list goes on and on. It was a great turn out and an added bonus for me getting to be around everyone who keeps me company during my world travels. Its funny that since we get to know each other so well that when we finally meet face to face its as natural as it can be. Primadawn was a little disappointed with me she admitted. She thought I would be more wild. Haha …. One of the funnest items I think was to watch Tennessean and Sender. Tennessean is about as south as you can get and Sender is .. well he is just extreme. They were the odd couple that was just hilarious to watch. Llama and I get along great. We got a lot in common and am really glad he got to come on out. Prima is a saucy flirt and VCUramfan is always on the go. Haha … TexasRn is just a sweety to the core. She was soooo patient with me before the event as I was running around getting some things pulled together. Thanks Amy. ;-) We will talk more later im sure without all the distractions.

Matt came to our Karaoke night and said he had a pretty good time. Of course people started recognizing him and swarming for autographs and pictures … I asked Matt if he wanted me to turn that off and he said no. Later on in the night I was with Matt and a couple were getting pictures with Matt and one of the guys asked if I was Matt's body guard. I was thinking .. world class MMA fighter ….. Boomer the office worker body guard …. I answered with a sarcastic “yes” kinda like yea right im a body guard … and he took me seriously and started saying how great Matt was. I felt bad after that. I'm working on watching my sarcasm.

So I do have an apology to make on something else. When I do karaoke I try to pick songs that get people going. I had never sung the Rock Star song by Nickleback before .. heard it a few times and people respond to it .. so I thought I'd give it a go. Once I was up there seeing those words that I couldn't understand before .. or just didnt pay attention to were pretty bad. Popping pills, loose girls, life about money … I guess that is living like a rock star …. but that ain't me and I don't promote that. That has been bugging my conscious since that night. That was the first thing I was talking to Nate about the next morning. So .. forgive me guys … Ill try to do better next time.

The karaoke night turned out to be a big success in my book. I had a great time and from talking to everyone who went sounds like they did too. Dawn chickened out of her song, and Mark gave me a run for my money on the stage …... I guess my favorite part was one of the forum members put in “Country Boy Can Survive” for the whole forum to sing … we had the whole place hopping!! Good times.

This is so long I will just skip the rest and go straight to the fight. WHAT A CARD!! This was bar none the best live card I have ever been too. The last time I was at the MGM grand for a UFC it was UFC 52 and the second Matt /Trigg fight so I had good feelings from that place. When Matt came out the entire place was on its feet. No kidding ….. it was amazing. The only fighter that got that type of response. When the fight started we all know that head butt that took Matt down a sec was no joke. I was sitting next to Llama and Amy and Llama helped me fill in some of the blanks. When the first round started … I stopped breathing and was sitting on the edge of my chair. When he went down from that head butt .. I shot out of my chair .. hanging over the guard rail screaming “NOOOOOooooooo” After the last ooooooo … I almost passed out. Hard … No air before and taking all my reserves to scream and the sudden jolt up made my knees lock and the room spin. I really thought I was going down …. but then I saw Matt recover and so a slowly sat back down and let some air get to my brain. Lets just say I went beyond peeing a little .. We all know the fight went the distance and Matt pulled an awesome win.

The entire week was just amazing. At the after party everyone was there having a good time and I was talking to a gal from California who somehow knew I had flown in from Afghan to see this. We talked about the fight a bit and she said I bet as soon as Matt raised his hand in the octagon that moment made it all worth it. I told her, you know .. the moment that made it all worth it actually happened a few days earlier … I got to hug the neck of a buddy of mine I hadn't seen for awhile. He was sitting in his hotel room with his feet propped up watching slum dog millionaire.

But the win …. that was cool too. ;)

Til next time my forum friends ….. everyone that was there has a tale … add it on to this thread. Sender, Mark .. anything you want to tell us about Eddie Bravo?

Last edited by Boomer; 06-05-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:50 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
I guess my favorite part was one of the forum members put in “Country Boy Can Survive” for the whole forum to sing … we had the whole place hopping!! Good times.
Man, I wish I would have been there to see that

Good stuff as always Boom!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Man, I wish I would have been there to see that

Good stuff as always Boom!
We needed your musical talent brotha ..
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
We needed your musical talent brotha ..
I'm sure you guys held the fort down just fine!

I actually recorded an acoustic version of that song a few years back. Always has been one of my favorites.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Quell

awesome read as always....thanks
Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 AM
Matt Pena

Was a great time Boom... It will be good to see you again my friend!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Jesus Christ, i can't believe i read all that?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 AM

So... That was the most amazing weekend I've ever had! All is have to say is Boomer is the man! I pretty much went horse at the fights and can vouch for his anxiety. I watched Boom inflate right before my very eyes like a balloon. Amy and Boomer and I sat with the Hillsboro folks and it was comforting to be around his peeps
ran around with Sender, Tennesean, Boomer and Nate most of Saturday and nearly laughed myself to death. Nate and I discovered we both find irrational violence dealt to the innocent, hilarious!
I flew home sitting next to Serra's barber (remember his vlog), a bunch of his teammates, and a couple rows in front of Philipe Nover.
Meeting Matt at Karaoke and getting to hang with Veach, Zucca and the rest of the crew (I left the post fight party without meeting Pena and will kick myself for a month or two for not congratulating him on the wins) was awesome. Robbie, and Fiore were both real nice too.
I got to meet some of my favorite fight folk (Dawn will kill me if i mention it again).
The forum crew was awesome and I know I will have these friendships for the rest of my life.
that's all I got for now. it's laaaate and I'm beat

[
Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quell
awesome read as always....thanks
Thanks Q ... You need to make your way in one one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Pena
Was a great time Boom... It will be good to see you again my friend!
For sure brotha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
Jesus Christ, i can't believe i read all that?
Im glad you did GOAT .. keeps me honest.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
So... That was the most amazing weekend I've ever had! All is have to say is Boomer is the man! I pretty much went horse at the fights and can vouch for his anxiety. I watched Boom inflate right before my very eyes like a balloon. Amy and Boomer and I sat with the Hillsboro folks and it was comforting to be around his peeps
ran around with Sender, Tennesean, Boomer and Nate most of Saturday and nearly laughed myself to death. Nate and I discovered we both find irrational violence dealt to the innocent, hilarious!
I flew home sitting next to Serra's barber (remember his vlog), a bunch of his teammates, and a couple rows in front of Philipe Nover.
Meeting Matt at Karaoke and getting to hang with Veach, Zucca and the rest of the crew (I left the post fight party without meeting Pena and will kick myself for a month or two for not congratulating him on the wins) was awesome. Robbie, and Fiore were both real nice too.
I got to meet some of my favorite fight folk (Dawn will kill me if i mention it again).
The forum crew was awesome and I know I will have these friendships for the rest of my life.
that's all I got for now. it's laaaate and I'm beat
Dawn can't touch you Mark ... you are in the Boomer Tale .. it a safe place to share. But save it for tomorrow ... i want EVERY detail.