Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 05-25-2009, 05:32 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default UFC 98 Notebook: No Retirement for Hughes

Good article from Sherdog: http://sherdog.com/news/news/ufc-98-...r-hughes-17608

Quote:
Two-time welterweight champion and future hall of famer Matt Hughes does not sound like a man with retirement on his mind.

Hughes, the sport’s most accomplished welterweight, edged longtime rival Matt Serra by unanimous decision in the co-main event at UFC 98 “Evans vs. Machida” on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Despite rampant speculation that the bout might have been his last, the 35-year-old H.I.T. Squad founder believes he still has more to accomplish inside the Octagon.

“I definitely still want to compete,” said Hughes, now 50 fights into his professional career. “I still think I’m competitive in the weight division, so we’ll keep going.”

Having completed his most recent contract with the promotion, Hughes (43-7) plans to meet with UFC President Dana White to iron out the details of a new deal, though he remained non-committal when talk turned to how much gas might be left in his tank.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” Hughes said. “DW and I will get in a room; we’ll talk about it and figure it out. Like I’ve always said before, I’m not going anywhere.”

Hughes hinted at a desire for potential rematches with reigning UFC welterweight king Georges St. Pierre and Thiago Alves, the last two men to defeat him. The sports top two 170-pound fighters will collide at UFC 100 on July 11 in Las Vegas.

“It will be interesting to watch Thiago and GSP go at it,” Hughes said. “That will be an interesting fight for me to watch.”
There's more about the other fights, but who cares about those!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:00 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

It's awesome that Matt still wants to keep fighting!

WAR HUGHES!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

When Matt was doing his post-fight interview & he said "I wanna talk to [Pena] while he fight's still fresh in my mind so I can know how better to deal with fighters like sarah in the future," I started cheering!!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Good article from Sherdog: http://sherdog.com/news/news/ufc-98-...r-hughes-17608

There's more about the other fights, but who cares about those!!!
indeed...who cares...you've reported what we all want to hear