Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 05-23-2009, 01:15 AM
canadiancountryboy

Default Prayer Before Battle

To Matt, may God guide you, and allow you to be quicker and stronger and allow your skills to vanquish your opponent. He will show you the way to victory. May he protect you while in the octagon and again on your way home to your family after your victory.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Miss Foxy

That was a beautiful prayer. Thank you for posting!!
Old 05-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I wont pray for victory because I do not consider GOD a lucky charm like that to be honnest.

So my prayer would be, on Hughes Behalf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G70IhjDOuu8

Its from a Hymn

Be thou my breast plate, my sword for the fight.
Be thou my armour, and be thou my might.
Be my souls shelter, and thou my high tower.
Raise thou me heavenward, power of my power.

High King of Heaven, when battle is done,
Grant heavens joy to me, bright heavens sun.
Christ of my own heart, whatever befalls,
Still be my vision, thou ruller of all

Old 05-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Stump Rules!

You got that right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
I wont pray for victory because I do not consider GOD a lucky charm like that to be honnest.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
You got that right
Thats not to say I dont pray for events like this. But I stop short of telling GOD to grant someone Victory because only he knows what is in their best interest...and sometimes that might not be winning. So I leave the outcome up to Him...but I pray that he allows peace so that Training can go well, I pray that he allow rest so that the fighter can gain the most from their training. I pray that he surround the fighter with fans strong enough to love them win or lose, to the worst ever person in the worst ever way. (some fighters have won, when they have lost...Jens is a good example) I pray that GOD send His people to minster and support the fighter in question, so they can get the best possible training and be the best shape possible. I pray that GOD will give them strength in mind and body, and that he will send his Angels to prevent serious injury from occuring.

So I pray all those things, and then I generally have a song, of some sort, come to mind. Usually, that song (and it doesnt have to be Christian essentially, and certainly not always a hymn) becomes my prayer for them. Sometimes its like a blessing from me, sometimes its from GODs perspective...sometimes its actually from the person I'm praying for, and his or her perspective. Like with Matt Hughes this time. Those Words are the thoughts that I say on his behalf, because essentially they are written for the one who is doing battle to pray for themselves...do you follow? I'm not asking GOD to be MY Sword...I'm asking GOD to be Matts Sword, but the wording is phrased as though He and not I were saying it.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:14 PM
canadiancountryboy

[QUOTE=Tyburn]I wont pray for victory because I do not consider GOD a lucky charm like that to be honnest.

In no way shape or form did I refer to GOD as a "lucky charm". My prayer was meant for protection of Matt and for him to perform at a level that he is capable. I did include victory in my prayer because of one major reason, Serra attacked Matt's faith. Serra claims to be a Catholic, and without getting into my true feelings towards the Cathoilc church, but his actions are not that of a true Christian. So I believe that do to this, GOD will guide him to a MORAL victory in this battle. My use of victory in my original prayer was meant as both a moral victory and that of a win inside the Octagon.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Miss Foxy

[QUOTE=canadiancountryboy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

In no way shape or form did I refer to GOD as a "lucky charm". My prayer was meant for protection of Matt and for him to perform at a level that he is capable. I did include victory in my prayer because of one major reason, Serra attacked Matt's faith. Serra claims to be a Catholic, and without getting into my true feelings towards the Cathoilc church, but his actions are not that of a true Christian. So I believe that do to this, GOD will guide him to a MORAL victory in this battle. My use of victory in my original prayer was meant as both a moral victory and that of a win inside the Octagon.
I think you had good intentions and I am also with you on praying for Matts victory!! I think Dave over analyzed this one big time. Prayer should always be welcomed.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Stump Rules!

The "non Christian" needs more prayers then the Christian any ol day

WAR HUGHES!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 05-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
The "non Christian" needs more prayers then the Christian any ol day

WAR HUGHES!
It would appear regardless, that GOD has answered all our prayers
Old 05-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancountryboy
I did include victory in my prayer because of one major reason, Serra attacked Matt's faith. Serra claims to be a Catholic, and without getting into my true feelings towards the Cathoilc church, but his actions are not that of a true Christian. .
Interesting point.. (I dont believe that Serra is a Christian)..I have been taught never to pray for Victory because GOD knows best and sometimes a loss is better then a win.

I concur on the moral victory though