Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > The Ultimate Fighter

Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 PM
GnP

Default Tuff 9.8 **Spoiler**

Good episode,

Shame about Lawson he looked a good fighter and schooled Dent. Fair play to Dent he got the W he should be very greatful that lawson gassed.

Dana put it best far, far, far from impressive.

Agree with Dana Jason was just looking for a reason not to fight and his leg gave hime that reason, he could not have looke less enthusiastic when talking to Dana about fighting.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:00 PM
County Mike

Yeah, Dana had it pegged. Dude obviously didn't want to fight. He knows what he's going into the office for and he hangs his head, wears his hoodie up like he's freezing to death and whines about his sorry situation. Good riddance.

I still wonder what criteria they use when picking each season's cast members. Each season I think half the guys picked wouldn't cut it in my own gym, let alone the UFC. They really need to work on a better way to pick contestants. Whoever picked the British team seemed to put more effort into finding people who can actually fight.

In past seasons, it didn't bother me as much but now that the guys are supposed to be representing the USA, I'm really disappointed in the selections.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:09 PM
GnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
Yeah, Dana had it pegged. Dude obviously didn't want to fight. He knows what he's going into the office for and he hangs his head, wears his hoodie up like he's freezing to death and whines about his sorry situation. Good riddance.

I still wonder what criteria they use when picking each season's cast members. Each season I think half the guys picked wouldn't cut it in my own gym, let alone the UFC. They really need to work on a better way to pick contestants. Whoever picked the British team seemed to put more effort into finding people who can actually fight.

In past seasons, it didn't bother me as much but now that the guys are supposed to be representing the USA, I'm really disappointed in the selections.

couldnt agree more i sit their watching some of the guys they pick thinking i would fancy myself against them and god knows there are some top level undiscoverd fighters out there
Old 05-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Smile

There seems to be some confusion at the opening of the episode as to whether Jason Pierce has Staph or not. He claims he wants to fight, but complains about the pain. If its Staph then its catching so he cant fight, but the coaches are talking as if they dont believe its staph and that its just a painful situation that pierce wont overcome. The Team are very frustrated with Pierce for two reasons. The coaches are upset because of his negativity. He just isnt a ray of sunshine. But being a pessamist isnt a crime. The rest of the fighters are disconcerted with the fact that he likes to hang around with the Britons more then them. Defranco raves on about how Jason Pierce wont even respond unless you call his name in a distinctly British Accent.

Meanwhile, Dave Faulkner is not enjoying having to wear a gumshield. Now, how can this be an issue for someone with a long record anyway? But Bisping and Faulkner will get frustrated at each other that Dave cant keep his mouthguard in place.

Now for Mr Jason Dent, It has to be said that I'm quite a supporter of his, and I still am after this episode. I think that there are a few fighters on the show who dont seem to understand an awful lot about psychology. One of them would appear to be Dan Henderson, the other one would appear to be Demarques Johnson Both of whom shed light on the personality traits of Jason Dent, but both who also seem to have no idea how to put tthose thing together. It is obvious that Dent is not comfortable in large groups, he probably feels social anxiety in such situations, he also appears to be an introvert. Please dont assume that means he's a quite and unassuming individual. Introversion is about where we draw our energy from, Dent draws it from himself, this means like a Battery he must spend time issolated in order to recharge, he cant feed of the energy of his Team mates, or house mates. This is not a fact that any ammount of training will change. Its also not exactly Jasons fault, something that Demarques should be made to recognize before he insultingly says that Dent is wasting a social opportunity. I imagaine that Demarques is quite the Extrovert. Thus perhaps we should put him for two months in complete issolation and ask him how he feels at regular intervals, without people around him to feed off, he will probably not be quite as happy. These guys need to understand that personality traits arent something to make light fun of. Social anxiety is not funny Mr Johnson!

From Dan Henderson, we also get the fact that Jason Dent is probably a "J" on the myres-Briggs. He has his own way of doing things, does not like change, probably likes structure. Its a shame that Henderson doesnt realize that he can probably aid Jason by feeding him structure and routine that slowly the guy can accept as his own. Any Sports Coach should have basic training in psychology.

Having said that, I didnt think much of Jason in his fight with Lawson. I think that Lawson was extremely unlucky to have ended up being choked out when it was evident that he was winning the fight. He's interesting on the feet, and fun to watch on the ground, his fight included a slam to boot, and he got mount briefly in the first round. He's a funny guy, the comedian, so its not suprising when a group of them start messing around in Professional Wrestling costumes, he is one of them. However, I suspect he has a softer side. He admits that he didnt mind winning or losing, but wanted the money to take his family on Holiday. "Physically i'm nothing to look at, im a ginger for heaven sake" hahahahahaha BEST LINE OF ANY TUF EVER!

Dana White assess Jason Pierce who is cleared to fight, but with hesitation in his voice about being motivated, Dana White decides to pull the plug on him. Probably for the best.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 AM

Have to say, i watched this week with milld interest, the whole U.K v USA thing isnt really rocking my boat.

Really think the format is quite tired at the moment, i enjoy it because i dont watch a lot of Tele and its one of the few that i do but its only half hearted, i dont rush down to watch it.

I dont seem to care about many of them like i did in the first and second especially. I felt like i learnt more about the people that time.

I truly think, they need to give them rest a little and mix it up, look its great to see fights but i said before to just watch fights we have all the fight cards we could ever need.

I think the difference in TUF is that you see the fighters behind the fights or them doing challenges, something different at least.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Buc Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
I truly think, they need to give them rest a little and mix it up, look its great to see fights but i said before to just watch fights we have all the fight cards we could ever need.

I think the difference in TUF is that you see the fighters behind the fights or them doing challenges, something different at least.
That is the point of them being there though. I can't say I'd be enthusiastic if I went on their and they wanted me picking tyres up out of mud or carrying bottles of water down some stairs. I prefer TUF with the more business like approach.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty
That is the point of them being there though. I can't say I'd be enthusiastic if I went on their and they wanted me picking tyres up out of mud or carrying bottles of water down some stairs. I prefer TUF with the more business like approach.

Yeah i know what you are saying but if i want to watch the business end then ill watch UFN or one of my DVD's.

I mean i did think it was bad the last time with people eliminated without fighting so maybe i am never pleased!

Just feel it needs something different, or most importantly some space between shows