Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 05-26-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Mayweather's not having financial problems, so why have an "Everything must go" yard sale?

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-5...moth-yard-sale

Quote:
If this keeps up they will be calling him Money May Not or Money Pay Not.

Or how about Money Got Not?

If his pockets keep on leaking, Floyd Mayweather Jr. will be asking for a loan, not a fight, from Manny Pacquiao.

Now comes the hot word, as evidenced on Ebay, that Floyd has been forced by financial problems to auction his Cadillac Escalade limousine to the highest bidder.

Maybe Manny Pacquiao should buy it and give the limo to one of his lackeys just as a symbolic gesture of how he is in the bucks up position while Pretty Boy is bucks down.

I’m hearing persistent rumors that the economically troubled Mayweather is preparing a July 4th Yard Sale on the grounds of his Las Vegas mansion and the sales pitch is “Everything Must Go” and “No Reasonable Offer Refused.

Mayweather sidekick Laughing Lenny Ellerbe will act as the auctioneer at the yard sale. WBC title belts and other trinkets will be marked down from their usual $39.95 retail price in this once in a lifetime (Mayweather hopes anyway) offering.

Given the date, Ellerbe will wear a red,white and blue Uncle Sam costume while head trainer Roger Mayweather, if not incarcerated at the time, will wear his always comical ‘I AM NOT AN IRS AGENT’ sweatshirt.

The real jewel of the Mayweather Estate, the prestigious universally recognized BOXING'S BEST POUND FOR POUND SYMBOLIC BELT, will not be up for purchase as it is now dusty and musty with the current owner of the current belt believed to be living in some Asian archipelago.

"We thought that the pound for pound diadem would be worth millions but it's all dusty and musty now," said a Meayweather brokesperson named I.O. Plenty.

Word just in that bosom buddy and running partner, rap star Fitty Cent, will be there and will be personally selling an autogrpahing some of his CDs at--get this, you G Unit followers--a special price of 49 cents. Imagine only 49 Lincoln pennies and you go home with some musical classics signed by a guy who cannot spell "fifty cents."

Adding some flair to the sale will be the Al Haymon-arranged muscial appearances of golden oldie groups, Two Degrees and The Three Tops. Mayweather's adviser, who once brought in $90 million in one year of concert promoting, explained that Floyd could not afford the appearance fee for the Three Degrees or the full Four Tops of Motown fame. There is also an outside chance the Four Stairsteps may show.

As a sideshow to the Mayweather Yard Sale, Floyd Senior will be hawking Ricky Hatton Official Souvenirs at cutrate prices. This Hatton memorabilia sale will be divided, like his Pacman fight, into two short rounds.

Unfortunately, at least $7 million worth of gaudy jewelry which was pilfered by a team of gutsy cat burglars (led by a suspect named “Johnny Brassballs” according to gossip site TMZ) cannot be offered because all that is still in parts unknown.

Law enforcement officials say that finding the crooks who took Mayweather’s loot is not the highest priority in Vegas which continues to be beset by murders and other drug crimes.

Further evidence of Mayweather’s damaged wealth came when he allegedly reneged on the purchase of an $8.5 million mansion on Miami’s celebrity enclave, Hibiscus Island.

A Florida developer filed suit against PBF and Mayweather Promotions, a Nevada limited liability company, charging that the contracted for $850,000 down payment was never paid.

As a further enticement to get bodies onto the Mayweather grounds to inspect the merchandise, Floyd Sr. is putting his unique collection of historic bottles of Mountain Dew up for grabs.

The bottles, like Poppa Floyd's brash and incessant prefight words about how Hatton would decimate Pacman, are completely empty.

Just to pitch in, Oscar De La Hoya and the Golden Boys will be selling cover stories, inside stories and of course ratings in their house organ, their boxing Wurlitzer, The Ring magazine.

Those wanting to see the advance catalogue for the big alfresco sale can phone 1 800 BROKE AS A JOKE or go to the dedicated website which is www.IRStaxleviespenatliesreallysuck.
Also, I heard it was rumored that he sold the Escalade limo, but here it actually was sold on eBay Motors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3894&viewitem=

This may not be "hard evidence" as you call it, but it certainly is inductive reasoning that Floyd's financial status isn't what you make it out to be. He even told ESPN's Brian Kelly that he was returning for the money and it's not about belts or being the best which is simply another part of the puzzle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlZ2i...eature=related - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jjQn...244&feature=iv - Part 2

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then chances are it's a duck."
Old 05-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Crisco

It's hard to take that article seriously.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
It's hard to take that article seriously.
It is pretty lame that he's deliberately poking fun at Mayweather, but, with the way Mayweather conducts himself, it's bound to happen.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

UBER-FAIL

Inductive reasoning? You call a completely fake article inductive reasoning? Straight up, I hope somebody beats the crap out of Michael Marley for writing that garbage. Maybe one of 50 Cents boys will pay him a visit in his office parking lot one day...

Oh, and nice way to try and spin the interview with Kelly to fit your liking. What Mayweather ACTUALLY says is that he does not need a belt to define his legacy. He has already proven himself, which IS true.

I was actually going to post that interview myself because Ring Magazine decided to use that interview to spin a headline that said Floyd WON'T fight Manny. Although Floyd clearly says that he WILL fight Manny, and just admits to having issues with promoter Bob Arum. Just more proof of the Boxing media scapegoating PBF to trump up Manny and create hype. Did I mention that Ring Magazine is now owned by DLH?

If you knew anything about Brian Kelly's history with Floyd, you would know why Floyd is so stand-offish with him during that interview.

Oh yeah, one of Obama's cars was just sold on EBAY not too long ago. He must be broke too.

You keep bringing up Floyd's financial situation as if it somehow would negate the fact that he is still considered one of the best fighters in the world. Whats with that? I realize you are trying to make some lame point about Floyd coming back for the money, but it's a moot point. Even if it was only about the money, which I am sure that is PART of it, why do you need to keep dragging the guy through the dirt? Talk about things that matter and are relative to the actual sport, not the man's personal business. Especially when it's all just here-say at this point. If you have an article that shows Floyd saying he is broke, or something that shows him filing bankruptcy, then post it. Otherwise, lets the media pigs roll around in that dirt, don't play that game.

Last edited by J.B.; 05-26-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Completely fake? Guess we'll see on July 4

I didn't spin the interview. Mayweather says he doesn't need a belt to define his legacy because it's already proven. That's still debated by many boxing analysts as there are many who commend him for his undefeated record, yet, handpicking opponents. Once again, smart for his record, bad for his legacy, just depends how you see it I guess.

The argument concerning Arum is another debated "excuse" as to why PBF won't fight Manny. PBF says he will fight him, but then says he will not allow Arum to make money off of him, which is ridiculous, because PBF openly admits his return is about money. If he wants another blockbuster paycheck fight or 1 million+ PPV buys, he'll either have to fight Pacquaio or Mosley. All his fights before he fought DLH and Hatton weren't mega buys either. Of course, I realize the same is true with Pacquaio.

It's either in preparation for a mega fight, or a mega letdown. I hope it goes to a fight, but I'd guess we'll have to wait until July 18 and see how that fight goes (although, I don't see it in Marquez' favor, but wish him all the best).

I know about their history, Kelly is great about getting under Floyd's skin. In some ways, I'm surprised Floyd agrees to go on the show at all.

LOL @ the Obama comparison. Obama wanted to lead by example and switched to a hybrid vehicle, which is why he sold the Chrysler 300 and switched to a Ford Escape Hybrid. I doubt Floyd decided he wanted to go "green" (as in, "protecting the environment") or be less flashy.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Miss Foxy

I love when Rock & Llama go at it!! I hope Marquez can pull off a win. The world of boxing needs it! I must say my love for boxing will never die, but I have been enjoying MMA a lot more than boxing lately. ..If Marquez can pull this fight off my 2009 will be complete. Hughes set it off!!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Hey! I'm going at it with JB Rattlesnake, not LLama!
LOL, yeah, we're pretty bad. I'm obviously not a fan of Floyd in or out of the ring; rather, the Mayweathers in general.

I was really just curious to see if anybody cared about the fight enough to purchase it. I'm interested in finding the results and maybe streaming it or downloading it the next day, but since PBF's stacking the deck in his favor (as usual) without a catch weight, and the fact that all he cares about is "money", I'll just save mine and watch it for free.

Besides, UFC 100 is 1 week before that and I'm not going to miss Brock beating Mir to a bloody pulp!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Dude, ALL BOXERS PICK AND CHOOSE THEIR FIGHTS, even Michael Marley, the guy who wrote that article, and is a longtime PBF hater, will tell you that... EVERY LEGACY comes into question when you are talking to the boxing cynics. Seriously, how long have you been watching this sport?

You did spin the interview. You are trying to make it seem like Floyd ONLY cares about the money, when it's more than that. Floyd is not washed up yet, and he knows that fighting Manny will cement his legacy in stone. He also knows that win, lose, or draw, he has still already proven himself, and that IS NOT DEBATED. Of course money IS a factor, but you are just trying to make it seem like the only factor because you just don't like Mayweather, and nothing I am gonna say is gonna change that.

Mayweather vs Mosley would not generate 1 million buys without a LOT of hype simply because Mosley is not nearly as big of a draw as Manny, or even that big of a draw in general. It would be a great fight, but at the same time it's not wrong for Floyd to go after the bigger paycheck at this point in his career. You also keep forgetting to mention that Mosley and Cotto are natural welterweights and bigger guys than Floyd. Every boxer is selective when taking fights like that, EVEN PAC-MAN. When Floyd was coming up from 125 pounds and fighting every other top guy around his weight class, nobody was complaining then. I have listed the impressive names on PBF's resume more than once, but you ignore them.

It seems to me that you have nothing but bashing to do and frankly it's gotten old. I don't know of a single person on this forum who likes Floyd, so I am assuming your posts on this topic are ultimately directed at me. All I ask is that if you actually have some pertinent information that relates to the sport of boxing and not just articles written in jest, and based on here-say, then go ahead and post them. Otherwise, I really can't comment anymore then I already have. We are just going around in circles about nothing at all. It's stupid.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 PM
logrus

Personally I think Mayweather is looking for a quick payday and nothing more. Easy fight with everything stacked in his favor right there makes his return questionable. If he was looking to prove hes still top dog he would be going up in weight or fighting someone around his weight level whos worth something in terms of boxing status.

With that also being said spare me the year layoff mumbo jumbo cause other fightrs, sports athletes have taken long layoff and come back to prove they are the s$%t..
Old 05-26-2009, 07:53 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
Personally I think Mayweather is looking for a quick payday and nothing more. Easy fight with everything stacked in his favor right there makes his return questionable. If he was looking to prove hes still top dog he would be going up in weight or fighting someone around his weight level whos worth something in terms of boxing status.

With that also being said spare me the year layoff mumbo jumbo cause other fightrs, sports athletes have taken long layoff and come back to prove they are the s$%t..
Blah blah blah...

Saying that Marquez is not worth something in terms of Boxing status is utter lunacy. You do watch and follow the sport right?

Saying Mayweather needs to go UP in weight is also completely bogus. The dude started at 125 pounds and has fought his way up to welterweight. The only reason he is even fighting that high is because of the talent level. Floyd had already outclassed the others around him and going up to welter was the best move after beating Gatti. Going up any higher would just be dumb. By that logic, any fighter who did not fight at Heavyweight would always just be 2nd tier.

Marquez wanted this fight, and it makes perfect sense for Floyd as a tune-up fight. Mayweather is not stacking the deck against Marquez any more than it already was the moment JMM agreed to fight Floyd. He would not stand a chance either way, and most people in the Boxing community would agree to that.

Nobody said crap about a year lay off for Floyd, but don't act like Boxing is Basketball and Mayweather is Jordan. When you take a year off, it is smart to have tune-up fight, ring rust is a REAL thing. However, all accounts that I have read say Floyd is in great shape and I don't see rust being a problem at all. If anything, I think the year off gave his hands time to heal and probably did him some good.

Let's also remember that this whole idea of Floyd "coming back" ONLY for money is a bit absurd to begin with, considering EVERYBODY who follows the sport KNEW he would be back regardless. Boxers play the retirement card all the time for a lot of reasons. Ali, Frazier, Louis, Leonard, they all retired and came back, and the list goes on and on. The Mayweathers' are pretty much the first family of Boxing, and Boxing has been Floyd Jr's ENTIRE LIFE. To assume that he does care about his legacy and only wants money is just dumb.