Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I just grabbed some quick stuff, most of which seemed to point to the article on boxingscene.com. As for the WWE, yeah, it was funny to hear that $20 million was being paid to PBF. It was reported later that he received around $3 million. Pretty nice chunk of cheese!

There's other articles that point he was fighting it, but obviously, nothing disclosed about how much he did pay back if at all, which is how it should be. I don't really think it was drummed up to make Manny look like a king. That was talked about before his fight with DLH anyways.
(of course, he'd be a fool not to have it covered especially after flashing it on MTV "Cribs") or that the entire amount was paid. We all know insurance (pretty much) never covers the entire amount even when you have spectacular coverage.

I'm not looking for a reason to bash PBF. I'm simply stating, at first, he came back to "prove he's the best", but fighting a guy 2 weight classes below himself only proves he's full of crap. And you're right, few people will probably mention it 20 years from now, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's currently being discussed on many forums and news reports.

Yeah, haven't seen that one, but I saw his first time getting KOed when he was 17. It's on YouTube. He looked like a toothpick. But, the talk is his accomplishments as of late. He's been on fire.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
That's fine, be a hater, just admit it. Same thing I have always said.

Your view of him being a "fool" is your opinion. However it seems anytime people get called out on why they don't like the guy, their reasons are usually fickle and ridiculous.
that's fine, than i am a hater ... even though i did say he beats marquez and pacquiao ...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Miss Foxy

I don't hate Floyd only thing I didnt like was when he mocked Mexicans. I mean everyone does, but if someone were to mock a black person that would be the end of it!! Thats what makes me not wanna root for him. Boxing wise he's pretty bad a**.. Thats just being truthful. However I got bigger fish to fry right now with 98 on Saturday. I can't think straight I just want Serra to get served so bad! So him all his stupid fans and all those fly by night MMA fighters can STFU!!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Josh

Quote:
Rock, you do realize that Bleacher Report is a blogging community. Anybody can post articles there. I have an account there myself. The sporting news article is no more than an op-ed piece that references the Boxing-Scene article. Dave Larzelere obviously did not do his homework, because WWE has NEVER paid anybody anywhere near $20 milliion dollars for one performance. He is just another wannabe boxing e-journalist.

Six million in back taxes is a lot of money, but it's doubtful that he will end up having to pay that much back, and regardless, he has made well over $60 million dollars in JUST BOXING. This is a NON-STORY just being drummed up to make it look like Floyd is desperate and Manny is king. Stupid.

As for the $7 million in jewelry got robbed... Have you ever heard of insurance?

Nobody is going to be talking about this fight being at 147 when they talk about the legacy of PBF 20 years from now. Except of course for the bitter haters who just are just looking for a reason to bash him.

I'm glad you have only been on the Man-Wagon since 2002, you did not have to see him get Ko'd by Singsurat's jab.
He won't pay anywhere near 6 million. Valentino Rossi (MotoGP racer) owed 100 million in back taxes and I think he had to pay around fifty. He just took it out of the bank. No need to liquidate anything.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:19 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
that's fine, than i am a hater ... even though i did say he beats marquez and pacquiao ...
You can think he will win and still be a hater
Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy
I don't hate Floyd only thing I didnt like was when he mocked Mexicans. I mean everyone does, but if someone were to mock a black person that would be the end of it!! Thats what makes me not wanna root for him. Boxing wise he's pretty bad a**.. :
Well, you do understand WHY he does that right? It's not really to take any shots at Mexican people in general, it's a part of the history of boxing. His Uncle Roger Mayweather was called the Black Mamba because he used to always beat Mexican fighters.

People mock black people all the time. just like everybody else. In boxing it's not seeded out of racism, it's seeded out of nationalism.

Of course, thats not saying you have to like Floyd. Not at all. Just explaining for those who don't understand.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Well, you do understand WHY he does that right? It's not really to take any shots at Mexican people in general, it's a part of the history of boxing. His Uncle Roger Mayweather was called the Black Mamba because he used to always beat Mexican fighters.

People mock black people all the time. just like everybody else. In boxing it's not seeded out of racism, it's seeded out of nationalism.

Of course, thats not saying you have to like Floyd. Not at all. Just explaining for those who don't understand.
I actually found it comical that he came out wearing red, white, and green and a sombrero with Roger walking behind him when he fought DLH. One thing about it is, I'd imagine that's not entirely Floyd's persona, he's just hyping the fight. I mean, his uncle and dad are pretty arrogant, and I'm sure Floyd is too, but not to the extreme he portrays to sell tickets.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I just grabbed some quick stuff, most of which seemed to point to the article on boxingscene.com. As for the WWE, yeah, it was funny to hear that $20 million was being paid to PBF. It was reported later that he received around $3 million. Pretty nice chunk of cheese!

There's other articles that point he was fighting it, but obviously, nothing disclosed about how much he did pay back if at all, which is how it should be. I don't really think it was drummed up to make Manny look like a king. That was talked about before his fight with DLH anyways.
(of course, he'd be a fool not to have it covered especially after flashing it on MTV "Cribs") or that the entire amount was paid. We all know insurance (pretty much) never covers the entire amount even when you have spectacular coverage.

I'm not looking for a reason to bash PBF. I'm simply stating, at first, he came back to "prove he's the best", but fighting a guy 2 weight classes below himself only proves he's full of crap. And you're right, few people will probably mention it 20 years from now, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's currently being discussed on many forums and news reports.

Yeah, haven't seen that one, but I saw his first time getting KOed when he was 17. It's on YouTube. He looked like a toothpick. But, the talk is his accomplishments as of late. He's been on fire.

Look, I think you are putting way too much emphasis on Floyd's return being about "proving he is the best". You are focusing on a micro-issue of something Floyd has said rather than seeing the big picture. He has already sealed his legacy, no matter what happens in this fight or with Manny.

Boxers/Fighters retire and come back ALL THE TIME. Sugar Ray Leonard, Ali, now Floyd. It's almost expected. It's always been about being the best, from the beginning, to the end, and now the resurrection. The truth is these guys just can't stay away from the sport until their bodies and the families actually keep them away. Unless you are Tyson and just lose your heart (and mind) from vicious dirt-bags in the media taking shots at you day in and day out and every aspect of your life being under a microscope.

The only thing I really disagree with in your last post is that I DO think the negative press on Mayweather is to drum up positive hype for Manny. Why? Because negative versus positive keeps people reading one publication over the other, and Manny is what is "hip" right now. Seriously, the only thing they have to go on is that Floyd owes some money in back taxes, but the headlines make it seem like he is FLAT BROKE. Sports journalism is cut-throat industry full of contradiction, just like the regular media. The same people who are crapping one guy today will be his biggest fan tomorrow.

Another thing, going back what came up from Miss Foxy's comment, it really irritates me that Boxing seems to have lost it's sense of nationalism over the last 20 years. Maybe I am just old school, but I very rarely would root for a foreign fighter over an American when it comes to a boxing match of this size. I am not saying it's bad to root for Manny, not at all, because I am actually fan of Manny myself. I am just a fan of the sport, period. However, when I was a kid and I got into boxing the fans seemed to be much more nationalistic then they are today. Now, it seems like the only time that matters anymore is during the Olympics.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I actually found it comical that he came out wearing red, white, and green and a sombrero with Roger walking behind him when he fought DLH. One thing about it is, I'd imagine that's not entirely Floyd's persona, he's just hyping the fight. I mean, his uncle and dad are pretty arrogant, and I'm sure Floyd is too, but not to the extreme he portrays to sell tickets.

Yes, Floyd Sr., and Roger are arrogant, and Floyd Jr. can be too. However their reputations precede them in the boxing world.

Last edited by J.B.; 05-21-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Crisco

I'm not a hater.

I think the dude talks to much personally.

That's it.