I'm kind of a big deal

Default Dana White Stands His Ground

Pretty (expletive) funny IM(expletive)O

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/o...nd/?&gid=19798

Quote:
Dana White stands ground

By Dan Duggan / UFC Notebook
Sunday, May 17, 2009

Anyone who thought Dana White would soften his tone after the backlash from his recent controversial comments obviously doesn’t know the UFC president.

White drew widespread criticism for a video blog he posted on YouTube last month in which he attacked Sherdog.com writer Loretta Hunt for a story she wrote about the UFC’s credentialing policy. The low-point of the profanity-laced tirade was a homophobic slur White used to describe anonymous sources in Hunt’s story.

White later apologized to the gay community, but otherwise stood by his message and the manner in which he delivered it. In an interview with the Herald on Thursday, White explained that he has no intention of toning things down.

“I have a lot of attorneys that could write (expletive) speeches for me every time I talk,” White said. “I have three attorneys in the car right now. I can have them tell me everything they (expletive) want me to say. Is that what you want? Is that what the fans want? Is that what people want? I can do that. It would give me a lot less (expletive) headaches. Sure I could do that and be a phony like all the other guys, if that’s what everybody wants.”

The questions were obviously rhetorical, as White directed his ire at an ESPN feature on him that appeared on the network’s “E:60” program last week.

“The ‘E:60’ thing was a piece of (expletive),” White said. “Same old (expletive) story, same old (expletive).”

As with most White features, the piece covered his backstory and part in the UFC’s meteoric rise over the past decade. What bothered White were three interview subjects -- former UFC champions Tito Ortiz and Pat Miletich and New York assemblyman Bob Reilly - who spoke negatively about him.

White dismissed Miletich’s rant as sour grapes for failing to make the kind of money many UFC stars made.

“Pat Miletich is a very bitter guy right now,” White said. “Pat is not one of the smartest people you’re ever going to meet. He sees these guys around him, like Tim Sylvia, who made a couple million bucks in his career. ... Pat Miletich hasn’t made any money because he’s not a smart guy. It’s not my fault Pat Miletich is a (expletive) dummy.”

Reilly has been the most vocal opponent to New York hosting a UFC event, calling both mixed martial arts and White “unacceptable.” White doesn’t think his foul language should prevent New York from sanctioning the sport.

“We bring real numbers into cities when we roll into town,” White said. “The economic impact we have on these cities is (expletive) astronomical in these hard economic times right now. It’s a real business, whether I say (expletive) a lot or not.

“One guy opposes it, and that’s going to happen, no matter what. When we talked about this global plan, not everybody is going to love the UFC. We’re not facing anything we’ve never seen before.”

Ortiz’ comments truly got White’s blood boiling. The two were once close, but began feuding late in Ortiz’ UFC career. Their relationship came to an ugly end a year ago, with Ortiz claiming the UFC refused to pay $7,000 for surgery to repair a back injury he sustained while fighting in the UFC.

“We didn’t not pay for his (surgery),” White said. “The insurance company denied his claim because that (expletive) monkey gets out there and starts saying after the fight is over, ‘I was injured before this fight. That’s why I looked like (expletive).’ He’s always had an excuse for why he’s losing. Because he said he hurt his back before the fight, the insurance company said, ‘We heard you say you were injured before the fight and we’re not going to cover your claim.’ ”

White’s biggest problem with the ESPN feature is his belief that it spent too much time on negative topics.

“I got the (Armed Forces Humanitarian Award) two (expletive) months ago,” White said. “Did you see that in there? They go out and find three people - Tito Ortiz, Pat Miletich and some (expletive) guy that doesn’t like UFC in New York - and that’s what the (expletive) story is about? (Expletive) them. It’s the same story I’ve seen a million times.”

In the Herald interview, White was more excited to discuss the headline fights for UFC 101 on Aug. 8 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia. In addition to a lightweight title fight between champion B.J. Penn and Dover’s Kenny Florian, middleweight champion Anderson Silva will jump to the light heavyweight division to face Forrest Griffin.

Silva has won nine straight fights, but his last two wins were underwhelming as he seemed to toy with clearly overmatched opponents. White expressed his disappointment after Silva’s most recent fight, but expects the challenge of facing Griffin to serve as motivation.

“I think that he knows for a fact that a lot of people counted (Griffin) out in the beginning and they respect him now,” White said. “I think Anderson is going to take this fight very serious. If he tries to lay back and out-talent someone the way he did in his last two fights, Forrest is not going to let that happen. Forrest is going to be in his face, applying pressure and making a fight.” ...

Tickets for UFC 101 go on sale Saturday. They range in price from $50-$600 and are available at comcasttix.com, ufc.com, the Wachovia Center box office or by phoning 1-800-298-4200.

Members of the UFC Fight Club may purchase tickets through ufc.com. in a Thursday presale beginning at 10 a.m.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 AM
Hughes_GOAT

damn, Pat Miletich got served!
Old 05-20-2009, 04:43 AM

Goat, since you have Dana's ear and all and is one of his 5's, could you tell him Webster's is officially retiring the "F" word in all it's forms and he's not allowed to use it anymore.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

That E:60 interview was not even that bad. They should have called him out a lot more if you ask me.

Dana seems to have a great attitude as far as his passion for MMA, but I think it's getting to a point where he could actually be hurting the company's ability to break into the mainstream.

He says in one breath that this sport is going to be bigger than the NFL or Soccer, but then admits that the sport is "not ready for prime-time". Well, I am more inclined to think that it's Dana who is not ready for prime-time. He can't even handle the tiny bit of criticism he gets right now without going off a ridiculous rant. Seriously, he needs to learn some self-control.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Goat, since you have Dana's ear and all and is one of his 5's, could you tell him Webster's is officially retiring the "F" word in all it's forms and he's not allowed to use it anymore.
Dana owns Webster
Old 05-20-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
Dana owns Webster
You know what I want to say, don't you? But, I'd get banned and Dana just ain't worth it.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
He can't even handle the tiny bit of criticism he gets right now without going off a ridiculous rant. Seriously, he needs to learn some self-control.
LOL, that's a good point. He does get pretty (expletive) offended anytime somebody openly criticizes him.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:25 AM
David_Banner

“Pat Miletich is a very bitter guy right now,” White said. “Pat is not one of the smartest people you’re ever going to meet. He sees these guys around him, like Tim Sylvia, who made a couple million bucks in his career. ... Pat Miletich hasn’t made any money because he’s not a smart guy. It’s not my fault Pat Miletich is a (expletive) dummy.”

BAHAHAHAHA Damn Pat...
Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 PM

Yeah...I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Pat probably isn't one of the HOF entrees...

I think those are pretty harsh words for someone that has brought up multiple world champs. And held the UFC's belt 5 times

[